Rolling with smaller, fragile guys

just lay out the ground rules before you start rolling with the guy. Tell him that you will try not to over power him, and that you will use technique as much as you can. In turn, ask them to keep the match at a slower pace.

When I did BJJ, I was one of the smaller guys - 5'6", 150 lbs. I had just gotten done with running track, so I used speed and stamina to my advantage, and could wear down an opponent by struggling constantly. What I eventually realized was that I was using those to succeed rather than technique, and forced myself to slow down and think about technique. When I did, I noticed that my opponents would use alot less strength, since they didn't feel like they were in a fight the whole time either. So my advice is this: if your opponent is using physical attributes to win, then use yours. If not, then use technique.

size should not matter in bjj.
are you sure that this guy is fragile or are you goin ballz to the wall on someone that is just rollin in practice?

If you're rolling with smaller compact dudes you should work on holding htem down. Don't give them an inch of space, b/c that's how they'll get out. It will be a lot easier for the smaller dudes.

i like to pin smaller guys so they can work on getting out of bad positions

5'10" 170lbs here. I am usually the smaller guy. Some big gi=uys just smother, other take thier time so they can get thier techniques togheter. The also teach ME things while we roll. They make thier counter, sweep pass or sub slow and obvious, to teach me, so to speak. As for balls to the walls inexperienced guys that are way bigger.....well that sucks for me, that is life. It just makes me train harder.

Back