rolling with purple belt?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by LilLydi9, Sep 15, 2010.

1. LilLydi9

LilLydi9 White Belt

I was rolling with a purple belt yesterday and he yelled at me for not pulling guard ever from on our knees. He pulled guard on me each time, i took his back once. he said people would get mad at me for this. Is this true?

2. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

huh? you took his back and he got mad?

3. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

maybe he's aware that you have a good top game (obviously IF u legitimitely took his back) and feels like maybe it's time for you to round out your game? Take it constructively.

4. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

He yelled at you for not pulling guard? Next time apologize profusely and then judo throw him.

5. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

"Not pulling guard"? I gotta ask, are you pushing him back? Pushing someone back when starting from the knees is frowned upon in some schools. Depending on leg positioning, the guy who is being pushed back might get injured. A purple belt wouldn't get hurt that way, but a newer, larger guy would end up hurting his feet badly that way. It happened to me, and if I wasn't naturally flexible, it could have been much worse. I was sidelined for a couple of months. When starting from the knees, you shouldn't go around fighting for the takedown like if you are standing up, because there's nothing to gain from that. Pull guard, or try to throw the person to the side.

6. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

So, starting from the knees and he's yelling at you for not pulling guard?

Is he mad for you not practicing this, or for not initiating it, so that he could practice his top game?

Anyway, guard is a very important position, but if you don't want to pull guard then don't do it. It is your game, afterall

7. Nino is a snake

Nino is a snake Blue Belt

you took his back? either your gifted or he's taking you easy. because I can never take a purple belts back. he always submits me. armbar for days

but he did go easy on me one time because he thought i didnt know anything. almost got him with a north south and kneebar. but he was just joshing with me. and still submit me.

8. irc

irc Brown Belt

dub

9. irc

irc Brown Belt

Well, going from the knees with guys who always insist on taking the top is annoying as hell.

Fighting for top position from the knees is a waste of time because both guys on their knees is not a real position. So when you start with someone from the knees who always wants the top it just gets old.

I'm suprised he "yelled" at you though. But good for him. People need to get the point that BJJ includes the bottom.

10. LilLydi9

LilLydi9 White Belt

Yeah, he was a bigger guy and i think he was mad because when he pulled me into guard i would just work my way around him. He said i was moving too much on top. And that i need to pull guard instead of jumping around his guard

11. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

I think he just got mad because you were training unrealistically.

When you start on your knees you either pull guard or kind of accept your opponents guard. It's ground work practice so you practice on the ground.

If you were standing you could jump around and do whatever you wanted because he would have ways to counter you, but doing it from knees is bad cricket.

12. Nulhacky

Nulhacky White Belt

Just curious what is your height/weight? And what is the purple belt's weight?

13. DirtyCrabcakes

DirtyCrabcakes Orange Belt

I only roll from the knees and 95% of the time, people don't accept my pulling guard. 90% of my rolls it seems like I end up on the bottom of side control or half guard. I asked my instructor for tips and he said that I needed to work on my open guard. I guess he has a point. :redface:

14. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Seems fairly normal to me, but i guess some schools might operate differently.

15. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

It sounds like, instead of just starting in his guard or pulling guard yourself, you were focused on "winning" during sparring by running around his lazy guard pull so that you could start in a superior position.

I do dislike people like that, because the don't seem to understand that it's not helping them much by running round the guard rather than learning to break the guard, break the grips and then use a legitimate pass.

I also think that if you never pull guard during rolling, you are limiting your learning opportunities. I do about 50/50/

16. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

Always put one foot flat on the floor, never start "kneeling"

17. Neuro

Neuro Purple Belt

hahahhahahaha

18. Neuro

Neuro Purple Belt

I don't think that's really an epidemic-- in fact, if anything, I think quite the opposite.

19. ChiliDavis65

ChiliDavis65 Blue Belt

I would be mad too if I were a purple belt and you didn't pull guard... and then proceeded to pass my guard and take my back.

20. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

I certainly see what you mean, but that doesn't change the fact that someone who refuses to work the bottom during an entire rolling session (unless they are very far along and working something specific that day) is too focused in one direction.

Escapes are very worthwhile, but if you ever work escapes your game will be very limited indeed.