Rolling with hay-fever

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Guys: Do you believe in rolling with hay-fever or pollen allergies? What should I do?

Allegra-D works pretty well for me.

I am facing the same issue too. I have not been able to train because snot is pouring out my nose, and it is disgusting for my training partner. I am going to try wearing a construction mask to block the pollen from getting in my nose.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago and allergy shots + allegra have largely eliminated the problem.

netipot300.jpg

This always does the trick on a quicker, more consistent and lasting basis than any of the over the counter allergy medicines I've used. I usually roll in the morning, so if I feel my allergies acting up I will rinse my sinuses out in the evening before I sleep (some times twice). When I wake up I'll do it again before I take off to hit the mats. I will be clear for the whole day afterwards.

The problem I have with most allergy medication is that it doesn't do anything to remove any of the allergens that may be already stuffed/stuck up your sinuses. So the moment the active ingredient stops working, you're back to misery. The neti pot takes care of that. I will whole heartedly attest to it as a dude who's suffered from allergy triggered asthma for the majority of my life.

netipot300.jpg

This always does the trick on a quicker, more consistent and lasting basis than any of the over the counter allergy medicines I've used. I usually roll in the morning, so if I feel my allergies acting up I will rinse my sinuses out in the evening before I sleep (some times twice). When I wake up I'll do it again before I take off to hit the mats. I will be clear for the whole day afterwards.

The problem I have with most allergy medication is that it doesn't do anything to remove any of the allergens that may be already stuffed/stuck up your sinuses. So the moment the active ingredient stops working, you're back to misery. The neti pot takes care of that. I will whole heartedly attest to it as a dude who's suffered from allergy triggered asthma for the majority of my life.

Make sure you use filtered water or boil the tap water (and then let it cool back to body temperature, don't burn yourself) before using it.

Brain eating water born amoebas are a shitty way to die.

Find an allergy pill that works for you and get on the mat; or if you're not dripping from the nose and coughing everywhere, just get out there. The activity should help clear you out. Either way, respect your training partners and don't cough/drip snot on them.

Go to an allergist if you can afford to and figure out what medications work so you can keep training without snotting on your partners.

Cetirizine Hydrochloride and take all year round if it is that bad.

If you live in the UK this is free on the NHS.

I suffer quite badly from hayfever too, but grappling is one of the activities which temporarily stops it from happening (for me, at least).

Also included in this list :- eating, drinking, smoking and sex. Probably because on some level, I realise I have better things to do than get spikey pollen molecules out of my system :)

When I stop though it can be annoying (or long pauses when our instructor is talking). I just bring a towel.

When my allergies are really flared up, I look forward to training, because I can usually breathe easier in that environment.

It kept me out for two weeks this year though, so I had to go on an all out assault on my allergies. I got the shot, prescription nasal spray, prescription pills, allergy eye drops (never heard of them until this year, and they're fucking amazing!), and two air purifiers for the house.

Back