Rolling with girls is good!

of course rolling with girls is good so you can touch them and slip in your hands, grind or hump when you are in their guard or they mount you or when you take their backs.

all of that without having them slap you :D

I'm just saying that, in my opinion, writing about the problem doesn't help solve it. Highlighting it only makes the issue worse. Whenever there's a new guy that feels sort of weird about fighting with one of the girls, the other guys laugh at him. That makes the new guy think "Gee, maybe it's not a big deal after all" and he'll quickly learn there's not a big difference between fighting with a girl and a guy. But if the new guy reads your article, he's going to go into a fight thinking "Okay, since girls are weak I have to be extra specially careful because they're different and while it will improve my game, I have to treat them differently because she's a female". See how it doesn't really help?
Amen, touche.

Also, you're talking about issues that are not exclusive to males vs. females fights. When a larger guy goes against a smaller guy (which happens extremely often outside competitions) it creates exactly the same problem you're writing about. Why should it only be a problem when an average sized man goes against and average sized woman?
Like I said, of course this is not exclusive to women. I mentioned "little guys" in the beginning as well. This happens to be an article about women and it happens to also be a topic at hand. But yes, I see what you're saying. Sorry you feel offended, also.

The thing about technique is completely true

When I was in high school I was one of the best defensive wrestlers on the team. When I was in freshman year I learned alot from a chick on to get those defensive chops. It was still a shame though, she never did have the strength to make varsity. She deserved it though, worked harder than most guys

rolling with females is good because:

they don't smell as bad as men, and their chest hair doesnt go all in your mouth ... euch
:D

edit: also why is rolling with women uncomfortable for some guys?
its more uncomfortable to me to have some guys nutsack in my face.

of course rolling with girls is good so you can touch them and slip in your hands, grind or hump when you are in their guard or they mount you or when you take their backs.

all of that without having them slap you :D

:icon_arro:icon_lol:

There is a shortage of women in our sport/art/way of life. You could get set up with one of your female teammate's friends... Being a "gentle" man goes a long way!

We need to be prepared for the day when soccer moms become "jiu jitsu moms." ( I know some of you are out there already. )

Yes, I do. She is a good buddy of mine. Did you compete against her?
Nope I went and trained up there back in July and we've stayed in touch and argued with each other for who should visit the other. We rolled and it was more like a super fight. The mini game is strong :)

My distinction is between male and female given that guys will find more of a difference between rolling with a girl than rolling with say, a smaller guy which can be similar. I made the article to mention how we have boobies and guys make note of not wanting to grab the boobies while rolling or the whole ego issue that is less expressed. Obviously the issue with females being less strong was a great point to make and that does apply to smaller guys as well but I touched on that in my intro.

It's not that they don't WANT to grab the boobs; it's that they don't dare indulge :icon_chee.

If you wanted to make this the focus of girls BJJ, do an article that might detail how to get out of some awkward submission situations, that require grappling to certain areas, or if your arm gets stuck in their hair etc, expand on that more. This is exclusive to females.

What if you were rolling with Clay Guida??? Cavemen have long hair too.

I think this has been done to death.

Yes, girls are weaker. Yes, even weaker than small guys. Although, no, this does not mean that you should treat us with kid gloves.

Just keep in mind that even if we are the same size as you, you can still likely throw us around if you want to. Even if we "feel strong", we aren't as strong as you. It's probably just that we are better than you at Jiu-Jitsu and using our "strength" more efficiently. So you still shouldn't attempt to bench press us. We probably won't complain or say anything to you, but if we notice you have a tendency to make up for technique by trying to throw us around, we will probably begin avoiding you in favor of people who would rather train jiu-jitsu.

Any school with multiple consistent women, especially those with higher ranked women doesn't usually have many students who aren't good training partners. IMO a "good" training partner (male or female) will never "let" me get a position or submission. And they will crush me as much as they need to (keeping in mind size/strength discrepancies so I don't get hurt) in order to get theirs. That's how my training partners are, and that's the way it should be.

On another note...why do guys always want to talk about the issues with the boobies? After 5 years of training, I've had a single instance of someone trying to cop a feel. And it was a 16 yr old half retarded (literally) kid. I tapped him quickly and it never happened again - after that he was afraid to get beat by a girl again and rolled to kill, lol! I'm sure there have been plenty of instances of accidental touching, but honestly I've never really noticed because I'm thinking about trying to escape, advance position, or submit at all times. The fact that this issue even gets addressed is beyond ridiculous. Do you need to remind yourself not to grab someone's balls? Or do you just avoid them and probably every once in a while accidentally knee them?

Do you need to remind yourself not to grab someone's balls? Or do you just avoid them and probably every once in a while accidentally knee them?

That is completely different, there are tons of moves and positions that require you to post your hands on someone's chest, drive your head into someone's chest, grab a lapel in that area, ect. And forgive me if I'm wrong, but I cant think of any moves that require you to post your hands on someone's crotch...

not sure how i feel about this article. Sorry I'm a female that does bjj. and i'm not so cool with it. the sound advice about work more on technique is good.

but the boob thing? come on really? that's a rarity for a girl to even notice.

there were other things i didn't like. Was the writer even a female?

It was created with the idea that the smaller, weaker person could overcome a stronger opponent or simply put, technique over strength.

Most of the females that grapple are considerably smaller than the average male. If paired with a female, this is a perfect opportunity to work on technique. There are plenty of times even an experienced grappler will use energy and strength that can be spared with a certain technique or position which is an opportune time to drill when with a female. Make sure you avoid explosive positions or submissions, watch the weight you place, focus on drilling techniques and you will be safe, not sorry.

Men should not hesitate to choose a female as a training partner because women force men to focus on technique rather than brute strength.

Yeah, totally beating a dead horse, but I'll bite.

You contradict yourself. I, for one, get annoyed when guys hold back during an all-out roll. How am I supposed to learn how to overcome strength with technique if guys tiptoe around me because they think it's the proper thing to do? I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but I said it before and I'll say in again here: guys definitely get the short end of the stick when rolling with females. They're expected to watch their strength, speed, explosiveness, weight, etc. while the girl usually doesn't give a damn and can focus completely on the roll.

I don't hold back with my strength or weight when rolling—I just don't have the power or pounds to back it up. I don't see why guys have to either. I'm not talking about female beginners here. But if a girl's been doing BJJ for a couple months, she's got a general idea of what she's getting herself into, and expecting guys to be careful because she thinks her gender entitles that? Not the right mentality.

If the lady is in it to learn self-defense, then she should especially focus on learning how to control an opponent's weight and strength to her advantage. Think about it: in a real-life scenario, an attacker isn't going to hold back, so she should learn how to deal with that.

But if she's in it for fun (nothing wrong with that!) and doesn't want to seriously learn how to handle all body types, then she should learn how to say no to guys who aren't afraid to use their strength or weight while rolling. Or find a female-only class or something. I totally respect guys who do go the extra mile to take care of female grapplers, but EXPECTING them to isn't the right mentality going into this sport. And it's not fair to the guys either.

Just my opinion.

not sure how i feel about this article. Sorry I'm a female that does bjj. and i'm not so cool with it. the sound advice about work more on technique is good.

but the boob thing? come on really? that's a rarity for a girl to even notice.

there were other things i didn't like. Was the writer even a female?

If I were writing this in first person perspective as to how I think guys should roll with me personally, it'd be a different story. I went with generalizations and when I originally wrote it, my subheaders were the excuses guys say in quotations and the body of each paragraph was then the explanation or rebuttal to dismiss the comment as retarded but the editor had me change it to something that would include keywords for google searches. I went off of what I have heard guys say about how they feel. Obviously not every guy cares or sees every female grappler as a piece of ass. Hell, my training partners see me as a guy and are shocked when I show any sign of femininity but for the sake of the article with its audience intended to be more on the beginner side, I used general things that come into play when men roll with women. And yes, I am a female.

Yeah, totally beating a dead horse, but I'll bite.

You contradict yourself. I, for one, get annoyed when guys hold back during an all-out roll. How am I supposed to learn how to overcome strength with technique if guys tiptoe around me because they think it's the proper thing to do? I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but I said it before and I'll say in again here: guys definitely get the short end of the stick when rolling with females. They're expected to watch their strength, speed, explosiveness, weight, etc. while the girl usually doesn't give a damn and can focus completely on the roll.

I don't hold back with my strength or weight when rolling

Irishspirit said:
This is a typical white belt female mindset that is unfortunately completely false. It's insane to actually think you can physically take on a man who knows jiu-jitsu if he is going 100%. Save this thought and come back to read it in about 5 years.

I've been training for a little over 5 years and there are a small number of males who train that I could beat if it were a real fight. Most could literally kill me if they wanted to. Granted I am extremely small even for a girl, but even bigger girls are foolish to believe this. Just look at Hillary's post - and she is bigger, a higher rank, and much more accomplished than I am. If you are willing to contradict her experience, I am shocked.

I am able to train hard with guys every day and beat many of them in the gym because they aren't trying to kill me or hurt me, they are trying to train jiu-jitsu. Of course I could take on a guy, even if he was much bigger, in a real fight if it became necessary IF he didn't know jiu-jitsu - or at least a lot of jiu-jitsu. I'd probably win and still feel like I got my ass beat, and most likely get actually hurt in the process too.

The guys aren't exactly "going easy" since they don't give me positions or submissions on purpose. But they are most certainly NOT using all their strength when I am.

I don't think I can "beat" a guy who knows BJJ going 100%. I tap A LOT. But I feel it's a better learning experience than having subs handed to me.

Also don't get me wrong: using weight and strength isn't the equivalent to a guy trying to kill or hurt her. The point is to stay safe by knowing when to tap, not staying safe by expecting people to go easy on her.

Granted, I'm bigger than the average girl and have far less experience than you or Hillary. I'm not contradicting anyone's experience, just relating my own. And you're right, my opinion may change a couple years down the road.

Last edited:
This is a typical white belt female mindset that is unfortunately completely false. It's insane to actually think you can physically take on a man who knows jiu-jitsu if he is going 100%. Save this thought and come back to read it in about 5 years.

I've been training for a little over 5 years and there are a small number of males who train that I could beat if it were a real fight. Most could literally kill me if they wanted to. Granted I am extremely small even for a girl, but even bigger girls are foolish to believe this. Just look at Hillary's post - and she is bigger, a higher rank, and much more accomplished than I am. If you are willing to contradict her experience, I am shocked.

I am able to train hard with guys every day and beat many of them in the gym because they aren't trying to kill me or hurt me, they are trying to train jiu-jitsu. Of course I could take on a guy, even if he was much bigger, in a real fight if it became necessary IF he didn't know jiu-jitsu - or at least a lot of jiu-jitsu. I'd probably win and still feel like I got my ass beat, and most likely get actually hurt in the process too.

The guys aren't exactly "going easy" since they don't give me positions or submissions on purpose. But they are most certainly NOT using all their strength when I am.

thank you Irish, i agree completely on the white belt sentiment. i've been training about 4 years. There are guys i can beat, there are guys I cant. I'm ok with it. But shoot, some of this is craziness.

I can get a good roll with anyone regardless of size or gender. But, in no way, am I trying to smash a female training partner. I'm 6'1", 208 lb brown belt. If my female training partner is around 110 lbs, then I will be working spider guard, dlr, inverted, etc. I try to transition through the positions watching and teaching as I go. If I let you get my back and you are almost choking me, you might learn how to escape that position like I did.

I am not necessarily taking it easy. I am trying to learn and grow. Hopefully all rolls are mutually beneficial.

Back