1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Rolling with fight gloves?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by MMABullrider, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MMABullrider

MMABullrider White Belt

What do you guys think about wearing fight gloves to roll in preparation for fights?

I wouldn't want to wear them all the time, and certainly not in gi practice, but I could see value in getting used to being taped and gloved up at practice to mimick how things are in a fight. There's definitely a difference in both how well I can hang on and how well a guy can hang on to my wrist/hands with a glove on.

Does anyone else train with fight gloves on for strictly BJJ/rolling practice?

2. teamcarvalho

teamcarvalho Green Belt

We do our Vale-Tudo sparring wearing gloves all the time. We do so we don't hurt our hands......here is a video of me sparring lightly with one of my guys. You will notice we are wearing gloves. We train like this three times a week so I see it being a good idea for you as well.

YouTube - Python BJJ

3. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

A month or so out from fights, our guys roll with gloves.

4. Kenny from MD

Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Sometimes you may feel like "that MMA guy" but it is really important to roll with your gloves on if you are going to fight. It really does take time to get used finishing chokes, or footlocks, or pummeling, or people just straight up grabbing them.

5. 2stepmurder

2stepmurder White Belt

I do sometimes, but then we practice taking hits..not hard.

but normal rolling no. I saw one guy roll with gloves, but he is a pro mma fighter.

6. Dirty Deeds

Dirty Deeds Blue Belt

Use them in training, because of everything that Kenny said. Even if you do not want to compete in MMA, the gloves will impede your ability to secure certain submissions, in turn requiring your technique to tighten up. If you can consistently secure RNCs, guillotines, arm triangles, etc with gloves, it becomes considerably easier without.

7. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

Always roll with gloves because I just like the feel of having my fingers set a little more than if I were bare handed.