Rolling Thunder came in today!

Diligent

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I saw something about that Rolling Thunder when I was browsing the PR thread, and that looked a lot better than the shoddy thickbar dumbbell handles I made to train grip, so I went onto IronMind's site and bought the thick handle and the olympic plate loading pin with a carabiner. It was a bit expensive, I must say, but it is an awesome, heavy-duty peice of equipment. I recommend it for anyone who can afford it. I am psyched! :D

Well, with the thick deadlift handle (2.4 inches wide), the olympic plate loading pin and the carabiner (you need all 3 of those, btw), it costs about 74 bucks. Then you got shipping, so I think mine came out to like 85 or 86 dollars.

I bought the RT and simply used a chain for the rest. It works great. Keep us posted on your RT numbers.

rickdog said:
I bought the RT and simply used a chain for the rest. It works great. Keep us posted on your RT numbers.

Oh, that's a good idea. I sure will try and post my progress on the RT #'s. Should I do that in the PR sticky-thing???

What is considered 'strong' or 'good' on the RT (2.5'' thick) weight that you can hold onto with one hand????

It still amazes me how great of a forearm and hand workout it is just to hold onto a thick, heavy piece of metal, y'know? No front wrist curls, behind-the-back wrist curls, etc. can even come close to thick bar stuff. It is soooo useful in grappling, too.

CarnalSalvation said:
How was I being a dick? I was encouraging you to continue not cheating like a crazy MF on your lifts.

Who are you? I never said you were a dick...

???

CarnalSalvation said:
How was I being a dick? I was encouraging you to continue not cheating like a crazy MF on your lifts.

wrong thread my stoned compadre.

Of all the grip equipment that I've had, I'd say that I dislike the RT the most. It was fun to have contests with my friends, but otherwise I never saw much benefit from it. That's just me though...one of my buddies loved it so I sold it to him.

I have also brought it to the gym and used it for seated rows. I like it and think it develops great grip strength.

rickdog said:
I have also brought it to the gym and used it for seated rows. I like it and think it develops great grip strength.

Duuude, that's a great idea! good call :D

You're gonna have a lot of fun with the RT. There's a few things you can do with it like rows etc. I usually just use mine for heavy deadlifts and timed holds.

Sonny said:
You're gonna have a lot of fun with the RT. There's a few things you can do with it like rows etc. I usually just use mine for heavy deadlifts and timed holds.

Yeah, man. I'm gonna trying it out today after wrestling practice...it's gonna be sweet! :D

Diligent said:
Yeah, man. I'm gonna trying it out today after wrestling practice...it's gonna be sweet! :D

Just be prepared for the after effects it will have on your hands. After the first time I used it, I had 'tard' hands for a couple of days!

Sonny said:
Just be prepared for the after effects it will have on your hands. After the first time I used it, I had 'tard' hands for a couple of days!

LOL 'tard hands' haha.

Good call on buying a RT. You should definatly notice a difference in your grip strength while wrestling.

rickdog said:
Good call on buying a RT. You should definatly notice a difference in your grip strength while wrestling.

I know that this is kinda a naive question, but since I am a gnubee...what is considered 'good' or 'strong' on the Rolling Thunder holds???

To tell you the truth I think it would vary due to your bodyweight plus your overall lifting experience. It would be different for everyone. I think on Ironmind they might list some of the best weights for this lift but im unsure of it. By the way, nice sig. brother.

Back