Rolling on grass...has anyone tried it?

I can't believe any posters here haven't done some backyard bbq grappling. In my youth that was a common pasttime for me & my wrestling buddies. A bbq, some beer & wrestling. The beach, some beer & eventually wrestling. Middle of winter in Ames, girlfriend home for winter break, cutting weight missing the holiday feasts, no beer, & you get snow wrestling (well actually taking a cheapshot at a buddy by blindsiding him into a drift).

Back to the thread's question, just make sure the grass isn't a rock filled, gopher hole plagued field. In many countries they hold wrestling competitions on hard packed sand, loose sand, grass, packed mud. We'd hold wrestling matches on grass, there weren't really any problems, we just didn't hit arch throws or lifts. The worst we had outside of head collisions were bruised knees, no big deal. Bjj shouldn't be any different & this way you can legitimately ban the armbar & triangle slam escape with out the wuss comments.

Rolled on grass, loose sand and packed sand. It's a nice change from the usual - although rolling in a extremely hot gym is also great for one's conditioning. I really don't mind - sand will cut your face up a lil though.

E

Me and my friend once rolled on gravel with broken glass on it, it was more a spontaneous thing cos we were mucking around.

This was right before his first BJJ lesson, I got back control and got the RNC. He hasn't been so easy to submit since.

And this was while we were wearing nice clothes, what a stupid thing to do.

All the time. Get's itchy some times but it's worth it.

Rolling on Grass is awesome. My friends and i do it all the time. It doesn't really hurt. Nice just to change it up.

Put a big painters canvas drop cloth down and go easy on the takedowns. That's how the Gracies and machados used to do it

Not that kind of grass? Although that would be interesting.

I mean actually rolling on grass. I was just thinking it would be cool to train grappling outside in a park the early evening, just thought it would be a refreshing change from the hot room we're all acoustomed to.

If anyone has tried it i'm curious how it went. I'm also wondering specifically how it would fly in central park in manhattan.

How cool would it be if you were walking through the park and saw a group of people practicing bjj?

I have, and ended up with a bee sting on my knee. <Lmaoo>

Wonder how many of these guys from 2005 are still rolling?

Or even alive?

I'm alive. And rolling.

One summer I trained exclusively at a public park, on the bare grass. It was totally fine. Just make sure it's a no-dog park, lol.

I've heard of judo classes on a sandy beach...I'm guessing no newaza...

A long time ago my neighbors were wrestling on their front lawn, all in their early twenties, streetfighters but not trained grapplers. One of them called me out so I went over, pulled guard because I didn’t wanna risk hurting dude from a clumsy, uneducated breakfall or scramble.

Once on the grass all I remember was that I soon tapped him with an armbar.

One thing I will never forget is that the grass was slightly uneven which made me use tons of force attempting sweeps. I was sweeping him toward the incline without realizing it. (Real life is distracting compared to mat Work)

Other than dirty clothes, it was kinda fun because I felt the challenges of eneven ground/grass.

* I most likely could have tapped him from guard but my objective is always to obtain mount or side control and work from there, it’s just a habit.

Last edited:
A long time ago my neighbors were wrestling on their front lawn, all in their early twenties, streetfighters but not trained grapplers. One of them called me out...

Do you live in Hawaii?

No, California. My neighbors where half white and Mexican. A lot of pure whites and pure Mexicans teased and tested these two brothers and so they fought a lot.

* They didn’t call me out because of a grudge, they called me out just for the heck of it, typical dude stuff, not personal.

Back