Rolling kimura trouble shooting.

asian-glow

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I like the rolling kimura quite a bit. Sometimes, however, they will catch my legs as I'm going for it and we'll get into a long battle where it's my kimura roll vs their back take attempt.

Generally speaking, if they catch my legs above my knees, I'm screwed. If they catch my legs below the knees, I will win the engagement almost every time unless they can bite back up towards my thighs. Even so, I often end up here for several minutes before I'm finally able to pass. Little easier for me in nogi, but still a pain to get that last ankle's worth of leg loose.

Anyone encounter this problem?

Are you talking about a kind of position where you're standing over their open guard?

Two big things:

1. you don't have to roll all the way through on a rolling kimura; you can just snatch it and then bring your weight back so that your ribs are pressuring on opps head. now you can easily pass to side sontrol and then initiate a kimura trap sequence to the back

2. understand the difference between your weight being "extended" on the cross body kimura vs your weight being back and based to the mat. if your weight is extended, as you seem to be describing, then you need to think about kimura finishes that involve stepping over the head and rolling toward opps hip

id like to probably work this but im to afraid to give up that much space fora hail mary technique mostly cause i like my stuff to work for mma as well so i dont get to far out of that realm

How are you going for the roll?

I usually enter into their seated guard. I'm standing and I'll put my right foot between their legs and then go for it. My right leg usually gets caught but it doesn't bother me.

Back