Rollin' fer Jeezus

Einarr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me as to the deal with Atos and all the Christianity? I know Brazil is big on the whole Catholicism thing, but why does Atos in particular have such a boner for Christianity? I've googled it and searched Sherdog and I haven't really found any concrete information. Any Jiu-Jitsu historians know anything about it? Just curious.

I don't think they are Catholic per se. I don't believe Andre is. I think he is some branch of Protestant.

It's just what Andre believes, and it's how he lives his life. I think Ramon is the same way. So they founded the team based on that.

Christianity is a comprehensive world view, so it makes sense that is applicable to BJJ as well.

Also, you don't have to be a Christian to be part of Atos. Plenty of guys on the team aren't. It's just part of how it was founded, and it reflects the principles that the founders wanted to emphasize.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the deal with Atos and all the Christianity? I know Brazil is big on the whole Catholicism thing, but why does Atos in particular have such a boner for Christianity? I've googled it and searched Sherdog and I haven't really found any concrete information. Any Jiu-Jitsu historians know anything about it? Just curious.

you'd figure the name of the team would give it away

Galvao talks about his faith in the prologue of his 'Drill it to Win It' book... i forget what he said though, just talked about how he found God and how his faith has really helped him in life and with bjj and stuff.

Skip to 31:50 to hear him talk at length about Atos & its religious affiliation. Seems like a very cool guy.

I think it's great that he's building champions in life.

Very few of us would be doing BJJ today if Royce had cried out for Helio during UFC 1.

Jesus didn't tap.

There is unconfirmed speculation that Jesus tapped Mary Magdalene's ass.

jesus-and-mary2.jpg

Can anyone enlighten me as to the deal with atheists feeling the need to hate on people for being Christians

Can anyone enlighten me as to the deal with atheists feeling the need to hate on people for being Christians

Wow, another Christian that feels martyred, you need to calm down. Why do you get your feelers hurt. He really said nothing derogatory except the boner for Christ comment. He just wants to know why the dude is so devout. I think it was answered in that video.

*shrugs* A few of my closest friends are Christians. So is my coach. It doesn't bother me. Saying that I feel the need to "hate on" you does get my goat a bit, though.

And to justify my previous comment: I've been holding that one in since my friend got a "Jesus Never Tapped" shirt a few years ago. I think I deserved it! :p

I train at an Atos gym, I'm also an atheist, but I've never really felt pressured by anyone to change. I think the moral code of Christianity and the Atos team philosophy certainly go hand in hand.

I heard that Andre wouldn't let an atheist friend of his (ollllld friend) hold his child. Andre is very devout, I won't even fathom mentioning that I'm not religious to him.

Based on no real evidence but anecdotes and assumption, it's cultural. Brazil is rising in world status, but for the most part life is harder there. It's freaking easy to be an atheist in lower middle class America, where shit is just good enough in this life. For many (not all) BJJ practitioners in Brazil, they come from lower class homes. I don't need to describe in detail, but many aspects of many of my friends lives are scary. They need to believe in God to get them through the day; they need to believe that something better is waiting for them because of the fact that they didn't luck out this life.

Interestingly enough, the IBJJF was pondering (if they didn't enforce) banning all patches with religious symbols. I think words are allowed (Team Jesus!) but they don't want crosses or anything. They said they've got a multitude of practitioners from a variety of religions, there's no point to create an unnecessary rift.

Every time you jerkbags post cole slaw I want to eat BBQ.

Back