Rolled with strikes tonight at MMA...

flyingknee16

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
And yeah, it was a lot different. I have rolled with strikes before but it was very nice to do it again today.

Rolling with strikes definitely made me want to escape from bottom guard to standing or sweep to attain full mount instead of just sitting on my back trying to go for the submission. Likewise, fighting from the top guard is much easier and enjoyable when you are able to pound your opponent ;)

hell yea! ive been doing it a bit lately too.
you realise why posis like the mount get so many points
u got to get out of there quick when theres strikes
everything has to be so much tighter

I love the butterfly guard but I abandon it when doind MMA. I mainly look to improve my positioning.

yep its good , makes you realise how vulnrable you can be whilst sitting around for too long in certain positions

It punishes the guy on the bottom more for his botched armbar or sloppy triangle attempt, since you can pass his guard and get a better position to hammerfist/pound the poor guy.

I enjoy mma sparring from time to time..keeps things fresh and keeps you real.

yeah it's fun to do, good for a change up. sometimes when we roll we use light palm strikes but it's not the same as having the gloves on.

I wish I could find a BJJ school in NY that incorporates striking into the grappling game and not keep it as a seperate item.

Rolling with strikes is fun. It makes positioning a lot more important, and it gives you more ways to set up submissions. Plus I like to take advantage of the fact that I'm allowed to strike and I punish whoever is rolling with me (with light punches of course; I don't kill them). You want sidemount? Okay, I'll start kneeing your body and hammerfisting your face. You think you work well in my guard? I'll make sure to punch you in the face every time you're not burying it in my torso. Don't want to open your guard? I'll give you Saku-style Mongolian chops, and then Hammer-house style GnP you. I always take advantage of an opportunity to hit him. It really starts to upset him and leave him open for things. If he's in your guard, distract him with lots of punches to the head. If he makes the mistake of hiding his face to the side of your body, instead of the center, guillotine him. Or, go for a kimura, and if that fails, do the hip heist sweep.

I think rolling with strikes is more crucial to your submission defence and positioning game. It won't help you with your submissions in a straight grappling match, but it will help you defend them better. If you can spot a submission set-up while you're having punches thrown at your head, it'll be that much easier in a straight grappling match. And, you'll get really good at attaining a position and holding it.

it seems im in the minority here but when rolling with strikes i dont mind being on my back in my guard working subs. people tend to get over zealous when throwing and leave themselves open

Killa_Cs said:
it seems im in the minority here but when rolling with strikes i dont mind being on my back in my guard working subs. people tend to get over zealous when throwing and leave themselves open

I tend to use my strikes to set up guard passes or distract them while I set up other submissions... It's never a good idea to blindly strike when inside someone's guard since you can leave yourself open very easily.

flyingknee16 said:
I tend to use my strikes to set up guard passes or distract them while I set up other submissions... It's never a good idea to blindly strike when inside someone's guard since you can leave yourself open very easily.
i dont know just i feel more comfortable when someones throwing strikes at me i find it easier to armbar or even triangle. if i had my choice of postions id def prefer to have mount on someone though because getting mounted and having strikes is no fun :( . although one time i was mounted in mma class and i unmounted the guy when i did i caught one of his legs and heel hooked

i always liked rolling with strikes better cause i cant pass the guard

we rolled with gloves on at BJJ this week, strikes to the body only though rather than full mma rules. Found a big difference in setting up subs, much harder to slip a RNC on when you are both wearing gloves.

yeah i know its way hard to choke someone wearing the gloves

Ya strikes really open up a whole new dynamic.

Punching someone in the face when they are exploding into a submission attempt, or pounding on em as they doggedly go for something and trying to muscle it works pretty much like an instant interrupt. "Oh, I'm sorry, were you going to do something?"

I don't really mind having someone in my guard with strikes unless they are a lot bigger then me, it does set up clearing arms for triangles or catching em in things nicely. Plus if I really feel like I'm in trouble, I'm pretty good at tying up their arms and keeping em off balance with my hip movement and sweep atempts.

Now something I definately DON'T like is someone having side-control on me with strikes. Especially someone with a really good base.

In any case, the way we usually roll with strikes is from a clinch with strikes to the ground untill someone taps or isn't defending competently anymore, and it's really excellent practice for the real thing....

At any rate, the next time I train at MMA (this sat), I'm going to train both my GnP and striking.

Back