Roll not to lose...

As a brown belt who runs tap trains on white belts, I think it is their responsibility to later reflect back on what went wrong and where they can improve. The brokenness I bless them with should help them get into a meditative state.

Yep whenever I get tapped or controlled so easily by brown and black belts I always learn something from it. If your not learning something then at least ask questions after the roll and try to. I learn without even having to do that but the BB does jump in every now and then during our roll and tell me what I'm doing wrong which is also a great help.

roll to learn.
This is correct. It's also a lot more fun when you see it as a big game - less stressful and more productive.

I find that it makes me more relaxed when I roll like this too - it also makes the rolls work out in accordance with skill/belt level better. I am a fairly large guy and can shut down the games of smaller higher-level grapplers with brute force, but end up not learning as much and actually have more trouble with young/athletic lower belts. When I relax and take it technical I struggle more with upper belts but enjoy the rolls more, and do much better when training with athletic lower belts, probably because I'm not playing their "game" of athleticism.

honestly what are your other options? if somebody is better then all you can do is try to survive.

Kinda nitpicking but i prefer rolling defensively to the term "not to lose." Not to lose makes me think of the guys who will just hold on for dear life trying to make sure neither guy can move.

Back