Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, opinions?

MUSTKILL

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I had the first gen Roku and thought it was decent, but didn't replace my pc to HDTV setup. Recently got the Roku 3 and I'm impressed. Anybody have any experience with the Chromecast or Apple TV(lol)?

I have the Roku 1 (which has since been replaced by the Roku stick). I love it. Not only are there over a thousand channels (including Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, PBS, the Smithsonian Channel, etc) but with PLEX I can play all my downloaded movies on my TV without having to run a cable to it.

I have the Apple TV and the Roku stick.

We hardly use the Apple TV and I use the Roku stick for the UFC application (Fight Pass). The Roku stick is really slow cant recommend it to anyone.

I mostly just use the PS3 for Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO go.

Here is a link that might help compare.

http://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/

Get the Roku 3, it's MUCH faster than the other models.
I had the original Roku and found its performance to be too slow, however, the Roku 3 is solid and snappy as fuck.

I prefer sailing the high seas.

Yeah, I do that too but sometimes I'm too stoned and lazy to look for shit to download.
I've been using the Roku like crazy and I download everything.

Chromecast for the price.

How is the mirrored performance? I was considering a Chromecast for gaming with my tablet to TV but I heard the performance wasn't spectacular.
It's a cool concept but the lack of remote takes some points away.

i bought chrome cast for youtube and hbo go, it works flawlessly

I have the Roku 1 (which has since been replaced by the Roku stick). I love it. Not only are there over a thousand channels (including Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, PBS, the Smithsonian Channel, etc) but with PLEX I can play all my downloaded movies on my TV without having to run a cable to it.

What are some good free channels with actual content?
I've got a Netflix account but that's it. All the other major channels require you to sign up with a paid subscription.

My only gripe with my Amazon Fire Tv box is that it doesn't have Crunchyroll, so I can't watch certain anime on it. My Roku downstairs gets all that and then some. But since its relatively new, I hope that more apps will become available in the near future. It is blazing fast though.

What are some good free channels with actual content?
I've got a Netflix account but that's it. All the other major channels require you to sign up with a paid subscription.

If you get into educational shit, PBS and Smithsonian are surprisingly good. Both have quite a bit of free content.

Crackle also has free stuff, but the library isn't huge (it's all Sony Pictures properties) and it's ad-supported so be prepared to watch commercials.

There are a handful of other channels I've installed that are supposed to have entirely free movies (like popcornflix and tubitv) but I haven't fucked with them much. From what I can tell, it's mostly content that I've never heard of so I guess it's kind of a roll of the dice.

Any cheap and easy ways I can do this on my TV? My comp is too far for an hdmi cord.

Xbox/blu-ray or anything else you can plug a thumb drive into. you can put whatever on the drive and watch it on your tv

I watch a lot of shows and movies from my USB and portable hard drives so Western Digital is the best for me. It takes every single video format I've thrown at it.

wd-tv-live.jpg

Chromecast for me. Love it.

Can stream anything from my pc too. Which is nice.

Back