Roger Gracie:

SBJ

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

Last edited:
its funny, when pretty much everyone on here were saying that it was a big mistake to go down in weight to 185, his coaches and even him said that it was the right decision and he was going to keep fighting at 185, now he admits it was a mistake...

Anyways, war roger! hope to see him back in the UFC one day...

So will he move full time to the USA where the best MMA gyms are, or is he going to "try the best" while still heading an academy and giving seminars?

So will he move full time to the USA where the best MMA gyms are, or is he going to "try the best" while still heading an academy and giving seminars?
he moved to san diego to train with black house

He should have trained wit Fedor back in the day. Fedor could have used some of his tricks in there with Werdum and Silva, and dare I say Hendo.

Roger's standup is still serviceable at best. You have to get in there with guys that can really bang to develop. He didn't get so good at jj training with so-so guys, it was his dad and Renzo.

It makes you realize he just kind of lucked out in the jj department, having the physical gifts and the family. It's not like he sought it out like guys that got to a similar level that didn't have the same backgroudn. If those guys, like if for instance Buchecha, were to take on MMA, I imcagine they would train with the best strikers available.

he moved to san diego to train with black house

He says he is heading an academy and is being a family man, last time i heard his academy and his family is in London. He wont pack up and leave, he has much at stake there, no shame on that.

However you just dont want to be the best and then do a half-assed attempt at being the best.

Being the best requires sacrifice and if he stays in London he will never be the best.

well he's not going to be the best in MMA regardless of what he does now. But after losing to Kennedy he did say he was going to move to SD to train MMA full time, I don't know if he changed his mind or what

The best? Didn't he get equaled or outgrappled by Kennedy? I can't remember, but I think I remember Kennedy having no fear/respect for Hogers ground game.

Good on the UFC for realizing that a one-dimensional fighter trying to bargain high on the Gracie name isn't worth the price tag anymore.

Back