roger gracie vs kevin RNC??? variant?

I'm sorry for not being more clear Semhazai. I assumed by using the term air choke, you would understand what that meant. An air choke is no different imo to a blood choke. They go night night either way. LMAO

If all you're interested in is the end result, then sure, there is no difference. But it's very important to learn what mechanics will result in blood, air, or both being cut off. Your no-gi chokes will improve hurtles.

If all you're interested in is the end result, then sure, there is no difference. But it's very important to learn what mechanics will result in blood, air, or both being cut off. Your no-gi chokes will improve hurtles.

word.

Can someone tell me what kind of variant of RNC Roger did on Kevin Randleman? It is defintely not locked in the way I learned it. He does block off both arteries though.

Is there a specific name for this choke variation? Is it on an instructional tape somewhere?

Thanks,

lol, what Roger did is the textbook basic RNC (classic "Mata Leo" grip). Unless you mean the angle. Having long arms like allows you to attack from more angles. when I lock any tight naked choke I always twist it so the forearm cuts deeper into the neck which can make it look like the one roger hit here.

Hard to find adcc 2005 pics for some reason

mP1010258.jpg

the roger jacare rnc pic on the cover of the adcc 2005 graciemag issue was good if anyone has the image.

Last edited:
I did not meant that the forearm choke is wrong or something, I just said that MY instructor told us in class that we should place our elbow under the chin of the opponent to not damage his windpipe or adams apple.
There is no need to use a RNC a choke where the opponent could be hurt or taps because of pain. If applied correctly as a blood choke, what Roger obviously did, your opponent will sleep within seconds.

What roger is doing there is not the classic straight forearm on the Adams apple pain choke where the pressure is going in the direction of the back of the neck; the pressure he is applying there is on both sides of the neck (the greatest pressure coming from his left forearm on the left side of randleman's neck), not on the Adams apple.

What roger is doing there is not the classic straight forearm on the Adams apple pain choke where the pressure is going in the direction of the back of the neck; the pressure he is applying there is on both sides of the neck (the greatest pressure coming from his left forearm on the left side of randleman's neck), not on the Adams apple.

Agreed its still the mataleo, what people refer to the air choke its different there is no need to cross arms, as there is no need to push the head against the choke, you only need to prevent the uke from bringing the head back.

The forearm choke of hadaka jime is a direct throat choke, the best example i can find its Fedor vs Sylvia and Fedor vs Fujita

YouTube - ‪Fedor vs Tim Sylvia Affliction Banned‬‎

YouTube - ‪Fedor Emelianenko vs Kazuyuki Fujita‬‎

This is mainly because the mataleo is not taought in judo and sambo where it falls on disuse when you have the gi, as you can do a kataha jime.

Back