Roger Gracie Half Guard

Nice video, thanks for putting that up!

awesome thanks for the vid oli, do you find that if your on top, and someone has that grip, that it is hard to get out of ? because i can see a nice arm triangle setup but by the time you go for it you might already be swept. ill play with it.

Man.... thanks Oli.

More options from half guard will really help me, I am gettin the basic underhook / paw grip thing so I can get deep and hit oldskool, but aside from going deep under with the arm and coming out the back door (think it's electric chair set up from 10th Planet), so I'm going to start working on this for sure.

Neways, rambling aside, have you any tips for adapting it for no gi? Obviously wrist control instead of a sleeve grip, I'm wondering about pulling the head down and reaching down the back quickly enough before they posture up? I need to watch more half guard instructionals maaaaaannn.

Thanks gain.

Damn, awesome sweep, really like this as an option when the guy doesn't let you get the underhook, thanks!

awesome thanks for the vid oli, do you find that if your on top, and someone has that grip, that it is hard to get out of ? because i can see a nice arm triangle setup but by the time you go for it you might already be swept. ill play with it.

im wondering the same. is the armtriangle/sidechoke a big danger?

Thanks Oli.

I don't see the arm triangle being a concern unless they free their arm.

im wondering the same. is the armtriangle/sidechoke a big danger?

It really shouldn't be. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the combination of your elbow positioning (with your shoulder raised and your elbow down) and the fact you're out on your side makes it very difficult for them to put you flat and isolate you before you drop your elbow down, even if you lose the wrist control. Personally, I also quite like swimming under the arm if they get it out and taking the back from there, but that's a whole other different technique. ^_^

Even if they trap it, you should be able to get out before it becomes a danger, PARTICULARLY in a gi.

Take care,

Oli

Man.... thanks Oli.

More options from half guard will really help me, I am gettin the basic underhook / paw grip thing so I can get deep and hit oldskool, but aside from going deep under with the arm and coming out the back door (think it's electric chair set up from 10th Planet), so I'm going to start working on this for sure.

Neways, rambling aside, have you any tips for adapting it for no gi? Obviously wrist control instead of a sleeve grip, I'm wondering about pulling the head down and reaching down the back quickly enough before they posture up? I need to watch more half guard instructionals maaaaaannn.

Thanks gain.

No-gi it's going to be a real nightmare, and the mechanics will be very different, to the point it's basically a different sweep completely. I'd just work harder for the kimura, which works fine given that they can't hold the belt or pants so easily to defend, so it's easier to pry it out.

So, uh, in short, no. ^_^

And it should be noted that it's not sleeve grip anyway, even in the gi, has to be wrist control to maintain the pressure.

Hope that helps,

Take care,

Oli

thanks for the vid oli.

i like a variation of this, where i use the full kimura grip (so no hand over the back) and the non-halfguarding leg as a hook as well. rolling over to my back flat while pushing their arm into their belly with the kimura grip and thus lifting their hips high, rolling backwards and using the hook to free my halfguarding leg as they're going over.

it's awesome and it has the "wtf" element because they get dumped over their head before knowing what happened.

thanks for the vid oli.

i like a variation of this, where i use the full kimura grip (so no hand over the back) and the non-halfguarding leg as a hook as well. rolling over to my back flat while pushing their arm into their belly with the kimura grip and thus lifting their hips high, rolling backwards and using the hook to free my halfguarding leg as they're going over.

it's awesome and it has the "wtf" element because they get dumped over their head before knowing what happened.

It's a nice version, and it's how I used to do the sweep from that position, but I found it had a much greater risk of going wrong and winding up with you under side control or whatever, or of them pressuring your hips and freeing their leg before you're ready to sweep. Sometimes, it's the best option for me, but in general, I must prefer this way.

Just to clarify, do you mean kind of like this sweep (from 1:30?):

Take care,

Oli

Very nice sweep Oli. I end up in the half guard fighting for the kimura a lot (both gi and no gi, mainly as a set-up for retaining guard/improvising and initiating a scramble etc.) and usually my opponent/partner does the work for me by hiding their fist in the general vicinity (in between their legs most of the time), but I am very excited to use this sweep because I use that set-up so often from half-guard! It has been added to my youtube favorites!

I'm really anxious to know what sweep you guys are talking about, and I don't have access to the videos (work)..

So to oversimplify; half guard, attack far arm kimura, then sort of bridge back rolling the opponent over you? Kind of?

I'm really anxious to know what sweep you guys are talking about, and I don't have access to the videos (work)..

So to oversimplify; half guard, attack far arm kimura, then sort of bridge back rolling the opponent over you? Kind of?

You bridge back, kind of, and then roll over your shoulder.

So you bridge horizontally and then roll vertically.

I'm not sure if that even made sense.

It's a nice version, and it's how I used to do the sweep from that position, but I found it had a much greater risk of going wrong and winding up with you under side control or whatever, or of them pressuring your hips and freeing their leg before you're ready to sweep. Sometimes, it's the best option for me, but in general, I must prefer this way.

Just to clarify, do you mean kind of like this sweep (from 1:30?):

Take care,

Oli

something like that, except i have the full kimura grip and they have their arm tucked in to block it. i use the hook like you did and move in a similar motion, but it's really the kimura in my case that elevates them high enough to get it.

and i keep the halfguard until they're already off the mat.

i'll have to give this one a try too though, you pulled it off real slick! looked sweet.

something like that, except i have the full kimura grip and they have their arm tucked in to block it. i use the hook like you did and move in a similar motion, but it's really the kimura in my case that elevates them high enough to get it.

and i keep the halfguard until they're already off the mat.

i'll have to give this one a try too though, you pulled it off real slick! looked sweet.

That was a really bad situation though. Far from intentional, and definitely not a deliberate setup. It just kind of happened. So don't try and do it. ^_^

However, the sweep at the end that he tries that I counter with an armbar is also kind of like the sweep you're talking about, no?

That's kind of what concerns me about the other version. >_<

Take care,

Oli

The best breakdown I can give is as follows:

1) *you are in halfguard at this point* Stuff your opponents far-side hand to his hip in the crease between his hip and his pelvis (basically at the top end of the V in your groin where your groin connects with your hip) so its inside his "seated A frame" --> if that makes sense, I just made it up (not outside on the edge of his hip where he can move his hand around)...also, use an overhand grip with your thumb

2) Break his posture if its not broken

3) Reach over the shoulder of the stuffed arm so his head is in your rib/hip region and clamp down with that elbow/arm to keep his head down.

4) Try to grab his belt with your overhook/clamping arm...if you can't reach, grip the material in the middle of his back while maintaining the clamp pressure.

5) Turn into him and give a little "mini-shrimp" away so you have some space between you and him and in order to load him for the sweep by creating real resistance in the opposite direction (if you fail and he sprawls, threaten with the kimura to retain the position/finish with the sub if it goes in your favor)

6) When you have that resistance/space, then you begin the sweep by pulling him over your body (with your belt/gi grab over his back) and by rotating your hips/legs in the sweeping direction, you also simultaneously press up on his hip with his trapped hand so his weight isn't directly on you anymore (you are flat on your back at this point but his weight is "floating over you" bc you are pressing up on his hip...you can't stall here because you have to use his momentum to hit the sweep)

7) So at this point he should be floating over you with his momentum going in the direction that you are pulling. Maintain the grip on his wrist and pull him over the top of you diagonally in the direction where he has no base because his hand is glued to his hip. You will end up doing a backwards roll in that same direction to complete the sweep.

That is the best breakdown I can give and I am sure I missed some details and or it is confusing!

That was a really bad situation though. Far from intentional, and definitely not a deliberate setup. It just kind of happened. So don't try and do it. ^_^

However, the sweep at the end that he tries that I counter with an armbar is also kind of like the sweep you're talking about, no?

That's kind of what concerns me about the other version. >_<

Take care,

Oli
yeah i thought you might've smelled trouble there but you still reversed him nicely.

it seems like he's indeed attempting the sweep on you and you countered it great. but it kinda looks to me like he was trying to sweep you in the other direction? or maybe it's just your pressure on him that makes it seem that way. like he was trying to sweep to his right, rather than his left? the one i'm talking about would have you swept to your right.

The best breakdown I can give is as follows:

1) *you are in halfguard at this point* Stuff your opponents far-side hand to his hip in the crease between his hip and his pelvis (basically at the top end of the V in your groin where your groin connects with your hip) so its inside his "seated A frame" --> if that makes sense, I just made it up (not outside on the edge of his hip where he can move his hand around)...also, use an overhand grip with your thumb

2) Break his posture if its not broken

3) Reach over the shoulder of the stuffed arm so his head is in your rib/hip region and clamp down with that elbow/arm to keep his head down.

4) Try to grab his belt with your overhook/clamping arm...if you can't reach, grip the material in the middle of his back while maintaining the clamp pressure.

5) Turn into him and give a little "mini-shrimp" away so you have some space between you and him and in order to load him for the sweep by creating real resistance in the opposite direction (if you fail and he sprawls, threaten with the kimura to retain the position/finish with the sub if it goes in your favor)

6) When you have that resistance/space, then you begin the sweep by pulling him over your body (with your belt/gi grab over his back) and by rotating your hips/legs in the sweeping direction, you also simultaneously press up on his hip with his trapped hand so his weight isn't directly on you anymore (you are flat on your back at this point but his weight is "floating over you" bc you are pressing up on his hip...you can't stall here because you have to use his momentum to hit the sweep)

7) So at this point he should be floating over you with his momentum going in the direction that you are pulling. Maintain the grip on his wrist and pull him over the top of you diagonally in the direction where he has no base because his hand is glued to his hip. You will end up doing a backwards roll in that same direction to complete the sweep.

That is the best breakdown I can give and I am sure I missed some details and or it is confusing!

That was far better than I could have managed. Perfect description of a rather rushed video.

Thanks! ^_^

Take care,

Oli

Back