Roger Gracie Half Guard

shogunismyhero

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been watching alot of Roger Gracie's fights lately and I noticed his half guard game from the bottom is really unique and puts alot of guys out of their game. He focuses on controlling the opponents sleeve to prevent a cross face and then when the time comes he looks for an over the shoulder belt grip. The only sweep I have seen him set up from this position is a sort of pendulum sweep.

Has anyone played Half Guard from this position? what do you think about it?

Id love to take a closer look at Roger's half guard.

I know a lot of guys here like to play that game as well.

Should be noted that Oli Geddes had to of learned his killer half guard game from someone right? ^_^

The sweep he hit here at around 5:10 was awesome: (maybe it was the same pendulum sweep you were talking about shogun?)

YouTube - Roger Gracie 2009 Mundial Highlight Jiu Jitsu

I really love half-guard but I've never been able to get this particular sweep :icon_cry2 .
Anyway, it's almost a shame we don't see more of Roger's half guard game... I'm sure it's deadly, but of course if you have an out of the world closed guard like him, it's normal see him almost always there.

Maybe Oli can break it down for us :icon_chee.

The sweep he hit here at around 5:10 was awesome: (maybe it was the same pendulum sweep you were talking about shogun?)

YouTube - Roger Gracie 2009 Mundial Highlight Jiu Jitsu

I really love half-guard but I've never been able to get this particular sweep :icon_cry2 .
Anyway, it's almost a shame we don't see more of Roger's half guard game... I'm sure it's deadly, but of course if you have an out of the world closed guard like him, it's normal see him almost always there.

Maybe Oli can break it down for us :icon_chee.

Nice! I've never seen him in half guard haha

That was more of a Kimura attack though. As his opponent starts leaning forward to take off the pressure he swings his legs to get enough momentum for a sweep.

I'd love to see this belt grip variation

I do the sweep Roger does sometimes, not very well, mind, but I do attempt it.

I think controlling the sleeve:

A) saves you in HG;
B) eliminates his base when you attempt the sweep.

I can't really explain what to do in words (sure sign that I'm not very good at it...yet). I think of it like a kimura sweep.

Did I hear my name? ^_^

That belt grip sweep is my new baby. Well, it's my last baby, my current baby is overhook X-Guard footlocks. But it's an awesome sweep that works very well and in moments when I can't get the normal kimura from half, this sweep is really really strong. Only disclaimer is it IS possible to base against it if you expect it, but there's no chance of actually passing from there, so all you're doing is stalling. (Basing against it involves sitting back on your heels and then basing on your hand at a diagonal so there's no way your base can be brought forward even a tiny bit.)

I think the main reason it works so well for him is because he's tall enough and long enough to get over the back and get a nice kimura/belt control even if the person has good posture. If your arms and body are shorter, it's a lot harder.

In terms of the sweep, the mechanics are really fairly simple. Get the kimura grip and the belt grip, whilst keeping their wrist pressed tightly into their hip (for control, and it will also help a little with the lift later). Then a big turn into them for the load up then pull their weight forward onto you. Once you feel the weight, punch the hand up into them to lift them then roll over your shoulder on the same side as their head, and land neatly in top half. Awesome sweep, and been working for me very well in the last couple of months. Even taught it a few times, with some success. Key thing is that you are turning a corner and bringing them over yourself, not headfirst into the floor, they will always base against it. If you take them over yourself, they have no base because the hand on that side is underneath them.

Sorry for poor explanation, but honestly most of what you need to know to do it can be gained from watching the video of him doing it and just drilling it. And most importantly, believing in it. Works really nicely!

Anything more specific people want to ask about his game? To be honest, my time spent on top of him in half-guard is fairly minimal. I spend a lot of time under mount, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. @_@

Take care,

Oli

Last edited:
YOOOOOO. i've totally been caught with that multiple times of late. i never knew what it was. that's badass

The mechanics of that sweep look pretty similar to some sweeps Cyborg has on his dvd. He gives a very good explanation of the mechanics involved. The grips are different but the hip movement and roll over look to be the same.

and just after terere had taken his back and Roger escaped as well.

and just after terere had taken his back and Roger escaped as well.

Didn't Jacare take his back one match later as well?

:|

Edit: as in, the match after the match with Terere.

Didn't Jacare take his back one match later as well?

:|

Edit: as in, the match after the match with Terere.

Roger beat terere in the quarters, marcelo in the semis and lost to jacare in the final.

Jacare didn;t actually mount any attacks from the back iirc, terere and marcelo had chokes locked on.

Someone please post an instructional video breaking this sweep down.

As requested:

Sorry if it's a little rushed, but meh. Had a few minutes left after a class, so figured I'd give it a shot. ^_^

Take care,

Oli

Sweep looks similar to the classica sweep except with different grips.

Thanks Oli.

Back