Roger Gracie cross choke from mount breakdown

Nice work, thanks a lot for making that video! I love the cross choke from mount.

The part I don't understand though, is why you have to release the grip to bring your forearm around his head and onto his chest. Isn't it better if you keep the grip and just circle your arm around his head? Otherwise if he feels you let go, bridges and puts his arms back in at that point, you've just lost the choke setup and have to start from square one. I mean at about 5:15, there's a second where you're not controlling the collar with anything and a well timed hip bump by the bottom guy would mess up your choke, wouldn't it?

Ok yeah I realize I'm questioning a Roger Gracie technique which is kinda uppity of me, but is that really how Roger does it? Just curious what you think is the reason for doing it that way.

And it does look better when you do it the second time at 8:30, because you don't let go of the lapel with your left hand that time until you have your right hand grip again.

Also you don't really say this but I think it's important--the guy on bottom's RIGHT arm is the one that he's going to use to try to defend the choke. If he gets it underneath your right arm, there's no choke. That's the reason why you have to "glue" your forearm to his chest as you mentioned.

I could possibly make a shirt that said What would Roger do? And show a guy doing a gi choke from mount.. No one would get it except like .05% of the population but it'd still be awesome.

Edit: Oh and if you want to see Saulo Ribeiro do a really good demonstration on the cross choke, here is the video:

YouTube - Saulo Ribeiro - Jiu-Jitsu Revolution 1, The Mount

No disrepect to you trumpetdan your videos are top notch

Last edited:
i used the pass you showed today and it worked great, I dident get the choke (Buzzer stoppage) but the pass worked like a charm. Thanks for the video, very detailed and well shot... Now its time to work the choke in:icon_chee

Thanks for the video. I'm embarrasingly bad at this move, so I'm always looking to see other people's take on it.

Like I posted on one of your youtube videos (I'm JRT140) you are showing more details than a lof of BB's show. Seroiusly, like the standing in guard. In my nearly four years of JJ no one said the reason you want to get them up on their head is to restrict their movement.

BTW I've heard that Roger really putsa lot of pressure on the opponent's jaw to get to the neck. TBH I"m not down with that.

Last edited:
Great vid I almost got this today but it did help me get mount. Gotta practice and rewatch.

Nice work, thanks a lot for making that video! I love the cross choke from mount.

The part I don't understand though, is why you have to release the grip to bring your forearm around his head and onto his chest. Isn't it better if you keep the grip and just circle your arm around his head? Otherwise if he feels you let go, bridges and puts his arms back in at that point, you've just lost the choke setup and have to start from square one. I mean at about 5:15, there's a second where you're not controlling the collar with anything and a well timed hip bump by the bottom guy would mess up your choke, wouldn't it?

Ok yeah I realize I'm questioning a Roger Gracie technique which is kinda uppity of me, but is that really how Roger does it? Just curious what you think is the reason for doing it that way.

And it does look better when you do it the second time at 8:30, because you don't let go of the lapel with your left hand that time until you have your right hand grip again.

Also you don't really say this but I think it's important--the guy on bottom's RIGHT arm is the one that he's going to use to try to defend the choke. If he gets it underneath your right arm, there's no choke. That's the reason why you have to "glue" your forearm to his chest as you mentioned.

^^this.

I could possibly make a shirt that said What would Roger do? And show a guy doing a gi choke from mount.. No one would get it except like .05% of the population but it'd still be awesome.

Edit: Oh and if you want to see Saulo Ribeiro do a really good demonstration on the cross choke, here is the video:

lol do it.

i'd get one.

Haha, great idea!

I would buy one!

If you just circle your arm from behind the opponents head you leave a larger opening for him to be able to defend with his left arm. I also find it harder to catch the neck if you do it this way. You usually end up with a forearm on the opponents jaw or mouth opposed to on his neck.

Sadly nobody chokes like Saulo shows in the clip.

There is a disconnect between the techniques taught in instructionals, and the techniques used in high level competitions.

The great thing about TrumpetDan work is that he's trying to eliminate the gap, by reverse engineering possibly the greatest BJJ competitor ever.

Sadly nobody chokes like Saulo shows in the clip.

There is a disconnect between the techniques taught in instructionals, and the techniques used in high level competitions.

The great thing about TrumpetDan work is that he's trying to eliminate the gap, by reverse engineering possibly the greatest BJJ competitor ever.

yeah, I thought the same, wonder why... I usually just go for the normal cross choke passing my hand from behind my opponents head... but I'll try saluos way next week....

If you just circle your arm from behind the opponents head you leave a larger opening for him to be able to defend with his left arm. I also find it harder to catch the neck if you do it this way. You usually end up with a forearm on the opponents jaw or mouth opposed to on his neck.

well, you just have to adjust, and the success of the choke depends on how deep in is the other hand, most of the times it does ends with your forearm on the other guys jaw, though most of the times is enough to get the tap, or at least enough force him to make some room for your forearm to get to his neck...

the cross choke from mount is one of my favourite techniques and you just showed me 2-3 little details that i went to lunch class with and worked in rolling.... really great stuff, excellent video trumpetdan...

Back