Roger Gracie cross choke from mount breakdown

TrumpetDan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey f12. I filmed a new lesson to kick off my top mount series. It is an introduction to the cross choke from the mount as applied by Roger Gracie...or as close to it as I know how. Specifically this coveres setting up the cross choke from the mount off of how he passes the half guard. This has as much information as I could get in in 9:59.99 min.

My mount lesson 2 will also cover additional entries into mount as they relate to the cross choke, some additional variables/details as well as a heap full of narrated roger matches. I could only squeeze in one in this lesson. Additional questions about the passes/mount sequences will be answered in my passing guard lessons which are not yet up.

This is my lesson that im sure will rub some the wrong way as it has the largest shoes to fill. No disrespect to anybody intended...im just learning like the rest of us and making these videos helps me learn.

Great stuff. I have been dying to get a cross choke from mount, and I never get it...I don't even remember if I have ever got a crosschoke from mount...:(

Also, I hope your fiance or someone takes a camera to England and takes a picture of your face the exact moment you meet Roger...it would be epic. lol@!

pictures-of-happy-face1.jpg

when i rewatched this, i noticed I was going to catch a little heat for my darce analogy in the shoulder pressuring portion. I didnt explain it well. All i meant was that you shoot your arm through before you grab the armpit...kinda like the same sensation when you shoot the arm through then grab your bicep on the darce.

hey i enjoy your videos - curious what was the inspiration you just watched Roger dominate and you were like let me study the crap outta this guy - i've been watching a bit of him - he does teh same half guard passes - also the folding guard pass (or wahtever peopel call it) and an x style pass with butterfly

Nice work as usual, keep the videos coming!

awesome vid.

You mentioned the 3 HG passes roger does and showed one, do you think you will do videos of the other 2.

You could seriously come out with a DVD totally breaking down Roger's game (since roger does not do instructionals).

awesome stuff as usual.

I will show all 3 in my passing series.

lol...why a dvd when i do it on youtube for free?

lol talk show on mute. It probably will be pretty priceless.

15 min?! dang...i should re edit...i thought it was 10

Really cool stuff. I never get this choke. This should help!

Thanks mate.

Thank you very much! I suck at mount and have been working it lately. This breakdown was extremely helpful.

"What Would Roger Do?"

Add some more Roger analysis to fill up that 15 min gap!

Anyway, great video.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff. I was watching his match against Marcello yesterday and he did that exact same pass.

A friend of mine did a private with Roger, he told me that before he puts on the choke on your neck. He puts it on your jaw creating a ton of pressure that makes you feel like your jaw is going to come off unless you stop protecting your neck.

TrumpetDan.. your youtube channel is the ONLY channel i've subscribed to in YEARS, just cuz i want to see more videos like these.

This analysis was fucking great, cant wait to try it out in class

TrumpetDan should just change his name to RogerFan already. Kidding, great videos, very professionally shot with plenty of attention to detail.

TrumpetDan's contributions to Rogerology are deserving of academic recognition.

Its cool that you added the tiny details. It served me well the other day when I was doing the standing guard break and the guy tried to push his hips onto my leg to take me down.

I remembered that if you just change the angle of your toes towards them, it would negate their sweep attempt and it worked.

Back