Roger Gracie/Carlson Gracie London Questions

hank

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering if anybody is training at these facilities could answer the following?

How helpful are these gyms in helping people organize fights? Is there a strong push to have people compete?

* I want to have my first amateur fight before Christmas, and having just move to London from Australia I was hoping the gym I join would be very helpful in organizing this.

* At Roger Gracies Academy, does you membership allow you to train at all the locations, or just one?

I would like to have a few MMA fights and see how I do, Can anybody recommend which gym would be best for this?

Thanks

If you want to compete go to London Shootfighters. If you have never trained before can't see anyone having you a real amateur fight before Christmas unless it's a sparring match.

Hi All

Just wondering if anybody is training at these facilities could answer the following?

How helpful are these gyms in helping people organize fights? Is there a strong push to have people compete?

* I want to have my first amateur fight before Christmas, and having just move to London from Australia I was hoping the gym I join would be very helpful in organizing this.

* At Roger Gracies Academy, does you membership allow you to train at all the locations, or just one?

I would like to have a few MMA fights and see how I do, Can anybody recommend which gym would be best for this?

Thanks

If you haven't already, I would ask your questions here. The mods are blackbelts from Carlson Gracie London (Simon Hayes) and alot of people from both Carlson's and Roger Gracie's post there.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - CageWarriors Forum

If you want to compete go to London Shootfighters. If you have never trained before can't see anyone having you a real amateur fight before Christmas unless it's a sparring match.

I agree with this. If you just want to train mma and fight then I'd say try Shootfighters. But Roger's school looks awesome so to me it's a tough choice. Maybe you can try them each out. I also agree that unless you've had some training I don't think you'll be able to have a fight by Christmas.

I think Oli trains at Roger's, so maybe ask him and see what he thinks.

Firstly, I don't know how much previous striking/grappling experience you have, but don't rush getting into an MMA fight if you aren't ready. Its not just technical skill, but ring readiness and cardio you will need. Secondly, I'm sure you can try classes at both and talk to the guys running them. I don't know how much either trains MMA, I remember reading that Roger goes to Renzo's school when he's prepping for an mma fight.

Roger Gracie Academy London is primarily a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu academy, and hence we don't really produce MMA fighters. If MMA is your focus, and you want to cross-train in pure Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, then by all means come join us. But if you want to focus particularly on the no-gi and striking aspects of MMA, you would have to look elsewhere for that.

We do encourage competition, but mainly in gi BJJ, which probably isn't what you're aiming for.

All I can really advise is to come down and see what you think of it, see if you like the atmosphere and think you could learn here. But if you want to be a full-time MMA fighter, you won't be able to spend all your time at RGA, is all I'm trying to say.

And as for RGA memberships, they are specific to the branch you are training at, and don't carry over, although there is a discounted mat fee if you're training within the network.

Hope that helps!

If you are coming down, let me know and I'll try and say hi!

Take care,

Oli

thanks guys, sorry i should have mention I have been training for about 2 years in MMA, but I have just moved to London from Australia.

I will check out cage warriors, there is actually quite a few promoters looking for fighters on the forums, so I will see how i go.

ive been to a few of the mma classes at carlsons and i know that many of the people that train there have fights quite often. the mma classes are run by ryan robinson.

theres also no gi grappling and muai thai and judo and yoga there. the mt guys also compete. as well as mma and bjj guys.

i dunno about rogers, but at carlsons you can train at all their locations for no extra cost

the training schedule is on their website Schedule And Pricing | Carlson Gracie

you can just turn up to watch / ask questions thats what i did

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back