Rogan : "What Thompson did against Hendricks should be against the law"

I picked Hendricks to win because I honestly thought Hendricks would eat some ugly shots on his way to getting take downs, but the truth is that was a combination of the best Wonderboy and worst Hendricks we've ever seen.

Johny looked woefully unprepared. This was his first fight since leaving his camp / team and head trainer.

I don't think this is a fair nor accurate statement.

The fight wasn't long enough to accurately tell if Hendricks was unprepared, or "the worst we've seen"...

I do know Johnny supposedly (by all accounts) was the most physically prepared he's ever been for any fight of his career. I know when the fight started, it was vintage Johnny. He came forward closed the distance quckly and got a hold of WB. He relentlessly tried to take him down, and failed...Then? He got the ever loving fuck beat out of him from a striker who's an incredibly tough nut to crack.

I do see how from that we can say it's the worst Johnny we've ever seen. He looked exactly the same to me with the exception of being knocked out, and very confused by his opponents style.

it very well could have been the best Johnny we've seen who just happened to run into the wrong guy at the wrong time.

Rogan, Schaub, McCall?

What is this, All Star Douchebag hour?

Bravo and The Kid are alright in my book.

That was hysterical.

I thought the same thing after watching AJ torch Bader. How is it legal for Anthony Johnson to hit people?

Wonderboy looked incredible. I picked Hendricks to win because I honestly thought Hendricks would eat some ugly shots on his way to getting take downs, but the truth is that was a combination of the best Wonderboy and worst Hendricks we've ever seen.

Johny looked woefully unprepared. This was his first fight since leaving his camp / team and head trainer.
Hendricks looked bad because Wonderboy made him look bad. Hendricks was in the best shape of his life. He just didn't have the best gameplan and had no idea how to deal with a karate guy who fights outside your range. He was frustrated. In a way i understand what he was trying to say in the post fight conference. He should have kept it to himself though and worked on it.

Talking about the Sage tap:

Apparently Barbarena does that all the time in practice. Has an insane squeeze.
Bravo explains how he didn't even try to pass the guard, says it's a sign that a guy knows what he's doing.

It's always interesting to hear these guys comment on stuff like that.

I don't think this is a fair nor accurate statement.

The fight wasn't long enough to accurately tell if Hendricks was unprepared, or "the worst we've seen"...

I do know Johnny supposedly (by all accounts) was the most physically prepared he's ever been for any fight of his career. I know when the fight started, it was vintage Johnny. He came forward closed the distance quckly and got a hold of WB. He relentlessly tried to take him down, and failed...Then? He got the ever loving fuck beat out of him from a striker who's an incredibly tough nut to crack.

I do see how from that we can say it's the worst Johnny we've ever seen. He looked exactly the same to me with the exception of being knocked out, and very confused by his opponents style.

it very well could have been the best Johnny we've seen who just happened to run into the wrong guy at the wrong time.

Sorry let me clarify.

Johny was part of Team Takedown which is a all-inclusive program. All of your coaching, preparation and training is provided - including a living stipend - in exchange for 50% of your gross earnings as a fighter. I'm sure you noticed Marc Laimon was his head coach up to and including his title win.

Hendricks decide to leave the team once his contract was up this past fall. For the first time in years, he didn't have a set team of trainers, coaches and sparring partners and was notably missing his head trainer and strategist Marc Laimon in his corner.

From his own interviews months before the Wonderboy fight was booked he said he would drive from place to place with some coaches he had in mind. Considering he abandoned his manager, coach and camp combined with a year long layoff, I think he was unprepared.

I think you are right in saying he looked on weight and in good physical shape. That isn't what I said though - I didn't say his weight looked bad.

That was by far the worst prepared Johny Hendricks I've ever seen in the Octagon.

That was hysterical.

I thought the same thing after watching AJ torch Bader. How is it legal for Anthony Johnson to hit people?

Wonderboy looked incredible. I picked Hendricks to win because I honestly thought Hendricks would eat some ugly shots on his way to getting take downs, but the truth is that was a combination of the best Wonderboy and worst Hendricks we've ever seen.

Hendricks doesn't look like the same fighter. He was so small and he lacked his usual explosiveness.

1 fight companion = 10 headlines for MMA "media".

Didn't they start USADA testing July 1st of this past year? To which, Hendricks has had exactly one fight since then?

Yes and he was scheduled to fight Tyron before he missed weight for the first time ever in his career. Is it all a coincidence? Sure I guess anythings possible but if I was a betting money that's not where I would put my money. The testing situation between him and GSP already had me questioning him to begin with.

I was really impressed with Wonderboy. I honestly thought that fight was Hendricks' fight to win. I figured, okay, Hendricks' will close the distance and wrestle him for the decision. NOPE

Yes and he was scheduled to fight Tyron before he missed weight for the first time ever in his career. Is it all a coincidence? Sure I guess anythings possible but if I was a betting money that's not where I would put my money. The testing situation between him and GSP already had me questioning him to begin with.

I suppose I'm biased, but I call the Hendricks GSP thing a wash. Maybe it was an excuse, but you wouldn't have been excited about taking a test from a company that used your opponents likeness on their website, and it was said that the UFC recommended he not do it either. People like to point to Hendricks calling it by the wrong name, or whatever, but nobodys ever accused him of being a scholar lol

I did forget about the Tyron situation, so I can't really argue against that one

What did he do wrong? He pressured well, he just got his only TD attempt stuffed and got nailed by monster strikes coming in. That combination of reach and movement with lazer strikes was too much for him to over come.

He looked like the same Hendricks as ever to me.
I agree.....I didn't see much difference he was way to slow for Thompson......I think if anything confused him it was Thompson's speed!

Sorry let me clarify.

Johny was part of Team Takedown which is a all-inclusive program. All of your coaching, preparation and training is provided - including a living stipend - in exchange for 50% of your gross earnings as a fighter. I'm sure you noticed Marc Laimon was his head coach up to and including his title win.

Hendricks decide to leave the team once his contract was up this past fall. For the first time in years, he didn't have a set team of trainers, coaches and sparring partners and was notably missing his head trainer and strategist Marc Laimon in his corner.

From his own interviews months before the Wonderboy fight was booked he said he would drive from place to place with some coaches he had in mind. Considering he abandoned his manager, coach and camp combined with a year long layoff, I think he was unprepared.

I think you are right in saying he looked on weight and in good physical shape. That isn't what I said though - I didn't say his weight looked bad.

That was by far the worst prepared Johny Hendricks I've ever seen in the Octagon.

I get all of that and appreciate it

However, for me, I needed to see much much more in that fight to determine if it was the worst prepared he's ever been. There simply wasn't enough data to take from that fight to make any accurate assessment if he was prepared or not. The fight was way too short. Again, this is just me.

Hendricks isn't the smartest fighter and leaving Team Takedown really hurt him here. I'm not saying he would have won had he stayed, but he wouldn't have been in their looking like a priest at an orgy if he had a proper camp.

It was his sparring partners fault.

10% bad sparring partners Hendricks.

When he fired off that left, they traded with him. Wonderboy didn't do that. Johnny came there looking for a fight but found it kind of stupid when he was following a grown man around a cage asking him "stand still while I hits ya.... hey, which one a ya threw that there last punch??" and the like.

It was really unfair. UFC shouldn't make matches like that.

I agree.....I didn't see much difference he was way to slow for Thompson......I think if anything confused him it was Thompson's speed!

People forget that Hendricks Arguably out struck GSP, Robbie 2x, and absolutely flattened Kampmann and Fitch. His striking may not be pretty, but it's usually very effective.

What did he do wrong? He pressured well, he just got his only TD attempt stuffed and got nailed by monster strikes coming in. That combination of reach and movement with lazer strikes was too much for him to over come.

He looked like the same Hendricks as ever to me.

He pressured well? Are you kidding? Please watch some DC or RDA fights. You do NOT allow a striker as good as that get comfortable. He let Thompson feel out the distance while plodding forward flatfooted, no angels, no sense of urgency etc. Hendricks'performance looked as a combination of total underestimation of Wonderboy combined with some terrible execution of a gameplan/wrong gameplan or whatever.

I get all of that and appreciate it

However, for me, I needed to see much much more in that fight to determine if it was the worst prepared he's ever been. There simply wasn't enough data to take from that fight to make any accurate assessment if he was prepared or not. The fight was way too short. Again, this is just me.

Johnny looked bad because he was fighting the wrong game. He stayed at Woderboy's distance, showed no sense of urgency to close the distance and make the fight ugly...his performance was mind-boggling if anything.

I mean Ronda looked terrible in the Holm fight too, but at least she was trying to close the distance and get ahold of Holly. Hendricks was simply marching forward eating shots.

He pressured well? Are you kidding? Please watch some DC or RDA fights. You do NOT allow a striker as good as that get comfortable. He let Thompson feel out the distance while plodding forward flatfooted, no angels, no sense of urgency etc. Hendricks'performance looked as a combination of total underestimation of Wonderboy combined with some terrible execution of a gameplan/wrong gameplan or whatever.

Like a deer in headlights. He looked truly stunned.

hendricks is an idiot, he has talent to be champion but its like he has no brain. He needs to go to greg jackson so they can make a gameplan for him in the fight because it didnt even look like he watched any tape on thompson

Back