Rogan says Ngannou is perfect speciesman for HW. How could he be physically better?

Taller means less muscle mass to make weight or who knows if he could maintain his speed being even bigger and cutting to make 265, DC was the champ at HW being basically an overweight LHW, a lot shorter than Ngannou.
True. Making a fighter bigger or taller would not necessarily make him any better. In some cases, it may actually make him worse. In boxing, many people say that Mike Tyson would be even badder and deadlier if he were 6’4” with an 80” reach. But I doubt it. At those dimensions, he would no longer be the explosive Iron Mike. He would lose many of the attributes that made him special. He’d have to adopt a completely different style if he were several inches taller and longer.

@Swepingright

He just stood there and waited for the kick, its clear he took a dive. He has also fired his mma coaches months before the fight and already talked to wwe for a return. He didnt even try in that fight and even let go of a half assed takedown he went for. Overeem was very lucky brock didnt want to fight that night.

LHW Jones has the perfect build for MMA. Francis is too jacked. It does give him great power, but in order to dominate for years in this sport, you have to have great cardio like Jones, GSP, Anderson, Fedor, Aldo, Khabib etc. You typically can't have cardio like that with mountains of muscle like Francis, Brock, Carwin etc. There are some freaks with somewhat decent cardio that are jacked like Reem or Jeff Monson, but they're uncommon.

I would say the perfect build for an MMA heavyweight is about a 265lb version of LHW Jones.
NBA player Dwight Howard comes to mind at 6'10" 265lbs

I tend to agree with all your points except height.
As the late great trainer Manny Stewart said, optimum height for a HW is 6'4-5, anything taller and a fighter becomes "chinny" and is easier to knock down and tends to have less stable "legs"

Build wise he's about as great you can be within the 265 limit

I think lot of aspects of him are overrated, including his power, but honestly his build is phenomenal... height, reach, he's not clumsy, move fluid and he's strong af with vey good power
It’s amazing that he can be so lean at such a heavy weight. Most big guys at that size look more like Derrick Lewis than they do Ngannou. George Foreman at 260 pounds looked like the Pilsbury Doughnoy.

I tend to agree with all your points except height.
As the late great trainer Manny Stewart said, optimum height for a HW is 6'4-5, anything taller and a fighter becomes "chinny" and is easier to knock down and tends to have less stable "legs"
Even though very few heavyweight fighters have ever been 6’4.5”. All the past greats were 6’3” and below — with most being closer to 6’2”.

The fact that he doesn't cut weight is proof that he is not the perfect specimen for HW. The perfect specimen would be taller, longer, and have to cut weight to make 265lbs.

Even though Ngannou doesn't cut weight he already possesses one of the biggest negatives often attributed to a hard weight cut which is the lack of a gas tank. The fact that Ngannou can't go anywhere close to 5 hard rounds is in itself proof that he is not the perfect specimen for HW. He is overly muscular. The fact that that this hasn't been exploited in his recent fights vs one dimensional fighters as well as over-the-hill fighters from generations past doesn't change that his gas tank is a gigantic liability in the fight game.

The key to defeating Ngannou is not taking him down. The key to defeating him is wearing him out. Ngannou has never won a fight that has gone beyond two rounds. Not getting KO'ed is easier said than done of course, but take Ngannou into championship rounds and he'd be easy pickings to be taken down and beaten up.

Even though very few heavyweight fighters have ever been 6’4.5”. All the past greats were 6’3” and below — with most being closer to 6’2”.
I actually meant 6'4-6'5.

But your point proves that taller isnt always better

Well if he could fight for ten minutes without a respirator that would be a massive improvement

He says Ngannous is a natural 265lber cutting a little or no weight to make 265lbs, is mostly muscle. Important note Francis did weigh in the high 250s before as I recall

Anyone know what is the lightest Francis ever weighed?

Id say be 6"6, with 86 inch reach. Francis could be taller, 6"4 is still in the range of average for a HW

He also said Rhonda was one in a lifetime human being too.

The era of small HW is over. And DC is the exception not the normal

Brock was never an elite fighter. He would get wrecked

Oh oh. Are you starting the NEW BREEDS of HW again... I've been waiting to see these guys for years .. not impressed by guys like lewis or even gane for that matter. I think lewis flash ko him.

Last edited:
Stipe is not small. He couldn't make 205.

stipe is the definition of a small HW. Like 235-245, slightly too big for LHW but not ever going to threaten the 265 limit

The key to defeating Ngannou is not taking him down. The key to defeating him is wearing him out. Ngannou has never won a fight that has gone beyond two rounds. Not getting KO'ed is easier said than done of course, but take Ngannou into championship rounds and he'd be easy pickings to be taken down and beaten up.
You are talking of an excessively small and biased sample. You can't draw conclusions based on that.
There is no blueprint from the Lewis fight, it was a bizarre anomaly and Ngannou wasn't tired at the end.
And the blueprint from the 1st Stipe fight is likely obsolete. He learned from his mistakes: 1) always come to a fight well conditioned and 2) keep you self control.

The key to beay him, imo, is to make him lose his calm, frustrate him, make him abandon his gameplan and pace. Give him false opportunties to jump on. He is a naturally tense and emotional fighter. Excessively dangerous, though.

He's a bit short, the build of Wilder or Fury would be better suited.

I always thought if Ngannou learned how to wrestle he'd be a really tough fight for anybody. His toughness against Stipe the first time really impressed me. He took a beating and still went the distance.

I still think someone in the 240 lb range with really good boxing could beat him, but they'd have to be perfect. He doesn't. He's not the most technically gifted but he doesn't have to be. I also think Lewis could definitely beat him again.

Is this another Rogan Curse?

Is Francis gonna get rocked like Ronda?

Last edited:
Back