Rogan is wrong regarding the judging disaster

LoneStalker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
During the fight last night my stream was crap but after it was finished it stabilized, so I stayed listening to Rogan and Cruz talking about the judging.

And Rogan, one more time, got it all wrong.

From Rogan's perspective, the problem was that the fight had boxing judges, and they saw the fight through the eyes of people who judge boxing. He said that to judge you need mma judges, no boxing judges. He even suggested that the arenas should show on the screens the scoring cards between rounds, so the fighters know if they need to react or control de pace, an idea that to me is utterly ridiculous, as one key aspect of any contact sport (or any sport) is that you should know if you are winning or loosing. If you don't know if you are winning, maybe you are in the wrong sport.

But the boxing judging this to me is ridiculous, because if you were a real box judge, Reyes would have won 4-1, as in boxing one of the aspect you judge is the defense, so you can win a fight walking backwards the whole fight (in fact, boxing while walking backwards is extremely difficult).

I have the impression that the problem was NOT the boxing judging, but the unstoppable hype that UFC puts in their own machine.
Just my $0,03

Nah. Judges will always focus on different things. An extra round in close fights would help to determine the real winner.

Rogan also thought Dom Cruz was fighting Jones at one point at the start of the PPV.
I think he was off his face for this card and much worse than he usually is.

This fight was pretty much all standing so a boxing judge would have done just fine.

I bet Rogan thinks he can score boxing fights. I think I'm capable of judging both from my sofa in front of the television and I watched boxing before MMA or the UFC was even a thing.

If your stream was so crap how the hell do you know how the fight should have been scored?

We'd get more sense outta Marshall Rogan these days

I've just watched it. Being here in the UK.
And the end of it is still on and all the post fight talk is about the judges. And scoring and so on.
They all think it was fucking wrong..

Not talking about how.good Jones was..
Just how he got robbed basically.

The bullshit with judging in title fights is that there is a myth that you have to decisively beat the champion to win rather than just winning more of the available rounds. This just renders scorecards redundant. They should just have no time limit and let them fight till there is a finish in title fights.

The bullshit with judging in title fights is that there is a myth that you have to decisively beat the champion to win rather than just winning more of the available rounds. This just renders scorecards redundant. They should just have no time limit and let them fight till there is a finish in title fights.
In the end it’s about making money by entertaining people. Fans would get bored real quick with hour long title fights where both guys are gassed but not quitting.

Jon Anik won me over today, totally ploughed the judge who scored it 49-46

If Soliz's twitter account is real then he was judging the fight under the wrong criteria. Reyes should be given 2 free punches and a spinning kick on him.

He said that to judge you need mma judges, no boxing judges. He even suggested that the arenas should show on the screens the scoring cards between rounds, so the fighters know if they need to react or control de pace, an idea that to me is utterly ridiculous, as one key aspect of any contact sport (or any sport) is that you should know if you are winning or loosing. If you don't know if you are winning, maybe you are in the wrong sport.
Knowing that you're winning the fight according to ideal judges is not the same as knowing that you're winning according to ACTUAL judges.

Back