Rogan and Goldberg Have a Nasty Habit of Being Immediately Proven Wrong

Archleone

Backstage Brawl ≠ Legitimate UFC Fight
@purple
Reaction score
Every event I watch, I like to play a game. It's called "How Many Times Do the Commentators Curse Someone?" See, as the title said, Joe and Mike (mainly Joe, oddly enough) have this nasty habit of stating a fact, statistic, or predicting the events of a fight, only to have that "thing" not only be suddenly untrue, but for the exact hilarious opposite happen.

This event, I counted four, but I only remember two: Joe and Mike discussing Jones' "perfect" takedown defense, and Joe talking about how well Caceras is moving only to have him dropped twenty seconds later. The other two escape me.

But some nice past ones have been -

Joe: "He's not gonna tap to that, it's not locked in - "

*taptaptap*

Joe during Anderson vs. Irvin - "Nice legkick!" - right as Irvin's face is being exploded.

Did anybody else notice any, or have any previous funnies stored in their memory banks (people have those, right?)? What are they?

It happens all the time with Brazilian commentators.
It's even worse than Rogan/Goldberg.

What amuses me it's not the bad predictions, it's quotes like "Michael Jordan from BJJ"

Considering how unpredictable the sport is, they do quite well and tend to be spot on more often than not (except for when Joe says somebody is going for an omoplata every time it goes to the ground lol).

There is something called the commentators curse though, MMA isn't free from it.

It happens both ways. Sometimes they will say a fighter is good at something and then they will do that something immediately after.

I remember the Parisyan- GSP fight and all Rogan could talk about was how nasty Karo was on the ground. Meanwhile GSP was landing some heavy ground and pound.
Goldie was the one who actually had to point it out.

If you want to listen to the most biased announcer ever, listen to Tom
Heinsohn do Boston Celtic games. I swear Larry Bird never committed a foul in his entire career.

I think pretty much anytime an arm triangle was locked in Joe said 'he's okay the fighter doesn't have it tight enough' seconds before they tap. Cheisa, CArwin.

Rogan's also been spot-on quite frequently with his analysis of what's happening and predictions, but pointing that out doesn't make me feel superior in any way so I should probably just ignore it.

So I'm sure TS is right 100% of the time? At least what Rogan states is usually based on evidence. Jones had never been taken down or remotely threatned in a fight so that'd make his TKD quite great and considering him a young MMA MJ is fair. In fact, Jones became champ at a much younger age. MJ experienced years of defeat before finally breaking through.

when that happens, it makes me smile.

It happens both ways. Sometimes they will say a fighter is good at something and then they will do that something immediately after.

True.

Etim vs Barboza "... or should he take a chance and risk getting KNOCKED OUT!"

I lol'd at that one

I usually watch the fights to enjoy the action and listen to the commentary.. If one of the guy is wrong about something then so what,, they provide additional entertainment with some of the goof ball things that's been said.. So relax and enjoy the show and stop complaining that one of the titties is bigger then the other..

Fighters tap even when subs are not locked in all the way. Guys can be moving good and get caught. He is just pointing out what he sees and usually has evidence to back it up. He cant predict the future so he is just calling what he sees. I have also heard Joe get a lot of things right before they happen. He usually always calls out when someone is setting up a spinning technique lol. Also calls a lot of submissions out before they happen.

i recall joe saying it was a mistake for weidman to continue standing with silva rather than try another takedown. a moment later, he ko's silva.

The thing I like about Rogan is that he is aware that he screws up sometimes and he isn't perfect. Other sports have some really pompous jerks in the booth but that's not a problem in the UFC.

And sometimes Rogan says something and half a second later it happens.

If you're talking non-stop, over thousands of hours of fights, yeah you're going to have a mixed record. Rogan is still one of the best commentators.

I think pretty much anytime an arm triangle was locked in Joe said 'he's okay the fighter doesn't have it tight enough' seconds before they tap. Cheisa, CArwin.

On the other hand there are a lot of times where he'll say "oh it's locked in deep, this fight is over" only for the fighter to escape the submission two seconds later.

Back