1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Rodriguez Should Fight Weili Next

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by pcbh167, May 8, 2021.

1. pcbh167 Blue Belt

Everyone wants to see Rodriguez Vs Joanna including myself, but what about Rodriguez Vs Weili?

That could also be a stand up war! If Rodriguez wins, she should get a title shot after the winner of Yan Vs Esparza.

2. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding.

That would be a fucking fun fight. Good matchmaking.

What do you do with Joanna? She should get a TS with a win, considering how close her fight with Weili was.

Xavier, Ares Black, pcbh167 and 2 others like this.
  3. Flying omoplata Blue Belt

you know what you have a point good bounce back for welli of great jump up for marina

pcbh167 likes this.
  4. pcbh167 Blue Belt

Thank you and what about Joanna Vs Dern? I’d love to see that.

5. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding.

Damn, you have this covered. Question is, who gets the title shot if Joanna wins her fight with Dern, and Rodriguez wins her fight with Weili?

I hope Rose is bloody active, this division is on fire!

ufcfan4 and pcbh167 like this.
  6. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Either pairing makes sense to me

JJ vs. Rod would be sick too.

So Dern vs. Weili and JJ vs. Rod or Rod vs. Weili and JJ vs. Dern would be logical in my book.

pcbh167 likes this.
  7. pcbh167 Blue Belt

I think it should be Rodriguez IMO. Only because Joanna hasn’t fought since her fight with Weili and because she’s already fought Rose twice.

Yes! This division is really great and exciting. Definitely one of my favourite divisions in the UFC.

8. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

JJ lost twice to Rose so the answer would emphatically be Rod in that case I think.

Esparza vs. Yan seems like the logical for absolute next title shot, no? Great storyline with Rose getting the chance to avenge the TUF Finale title loss to Carla. IF Carla beats Yan. Which, honestly, while it could happen, I think Yan has a great chance in taking that.

9. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fair enough! I'm biased towards Joanna cause I think she should have won that Weili fight, but Rodriguez is super entertaining, and her vs Rose is a guaranteed banger.

pcbh167 likes this.
  10. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding.

Yep, winner of Esparza Yan gets the first TS.

We are living in a world in which Esparza could be the next champ. WAR COOKIE MONSTER!!!!
    <{JustBleed}>

pcbh167 and ufcfan4 like this.
  11. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Best case scenario for Joanna's title prospects is that Carla beats Yan, gets a title shot, and happens to beat Rose. Considering how Joanna dominated Esparza, that would be a clear path for her to get back into the title picture.

As it stands, while Carla might win that fight in a couple of weeks, I don't see her beating Rose again. She executed an awesome game plan in their first fight and really sapped the fight out of Rose after a competitive first round in that inaugural straw weight title fight. However, since then, Rose has looked better and better. I'd imagine it would be a drubbing in Namajunas' favor as this point. She's just so sharp both as a striker and submission artist. That said, if Carla can put her on her back, things might get interesting.

pcbh167 and Chael_Sonnen like this.
  12. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

She's quite good. She just lacks that x-factor that would make for a long-term championship run. She has fundamentally improved her striking and shows good in and out movement, but she will never be on the level of people like Rodrigues and JJ and Rose in that dimension. She has very good grappling, but people with the takedown defense of Joanna and Weili will be highly problematic for her. She would have to fight an extremely effective fight to defeat Rose again.

pcbh167 and Chael_Sonnen like this.
  13. pcbh167 Blue Belt

I thought Joanna won the fight too honestly. I was shocked when they gave Weili the win but when I watched it again it was closer than I thought.

Agreed! And I can’t wait for Tatiana Suarez to return. So many amazing match ups to make.

ufcfan4 and Chael_Sonnen like this.
  14. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding.

Oh yeah, I fully expect Joanna, Rose, Weili, etc to wreck her. But on the off chance that she somehow managed to win the title back, it would be one of the craziest underdog stories in MMA.

15. Ares Black Asteroid Belt

Strawweight is so great right now. So many interesting matchups!

16. Joseph_McBride Banned Banned

If Xianon/Esparza winner gets the title shot this makes sense. I would be down with Joanna/Zhang 2 as well but she's so picky and idk if she is even coming back.

Dern needs a big fight too.

17. kingghidrah Purple Belt

I do not think Petr Yan should get a title shot coming right off a DQ loss, even if he does change genders and weight class.

18. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

JJ vs. Rod seems like a slam dunk of a fight to me. Great stylistic matchup between two of the best strikers in the division.

That said, you would then have Dern vs. Weili, which I think is solid as well.

In a way, though, Dern vs. Rod would almost be the most interesting title eliminator though because it's a fresh contender and they will present strong challenges to one another. Rod's weakest point plays into Dern's strength and Dern would have to find a way to keep Rod from mauling her before she could cinch up a takedown.

Joseph_McBride likes this.
  19. Maruchan Red & Green MIX!

If you look at her last 4 fights, Carla's beaten some tough girls.

Chael_Sonnen likes this.
  20. Joseph_McBride Banned Banned

I don't think there is a wrong to match them all up, except for Rose/Zhang immediate rematch. Which will probably happen, unless Xianon beats Esparza. Either way Dana wants a Chinese challenger next.