Rodrigo Minotauro Wants To Fight For The Heavyweight Belt Again

well good news for him. Winner of Nog VS Werdum gets a title shot. Sadly for the first time I'll be cheering against Nog :( since i'd like to see Werdum fight Cain (if he's still champ). (and if Reem beats Bigfoot and Cain) i don't know. I don't want to see Nog get blasted by Reem.
Wow I didn't know winner gets a title shot. I believe werdum would be a good choice for a title shot but big nog has a dilemma. He lost to Cain and won't fight jds. So he'd have to jump ahead far for a title shot even with a win over werdum.

O rly?

2264475_o.gif

I will say he is the second greatest HW as of now. JDS and Cain will surpass what he and Fedor did though.
Jds and Cain both already lost tho. Fedor was undefeated for a decade.

Frank Mir vs Werdum

Nogueira vs Cormier

this is better match ups imo

I'm not denying that Nog is a shell of his former self. All I'm saying is I think Nog is underrated and can be somewhat competitive with the top 10. While some people talk about him as if he was barely top 30 and any smuck could whoop him.

This is a thread about Nog wanting to fight for a title. People are pointing out that it isn't going to happen. Nobody (that I have read here) said he was barely top 30 or "any schmuck could whoop him."

Sounds to me like you agree that he isn't title shot material any more.

Don't act like I know more than other posters? I was giving my opinion.

Cry some more please.

Everyone knows that Nog has "fallen off" but he is still a top 8-10 fighter.

Just because you are Top 3 anymore doesn't mean that you suck. He is no longer #1 or #2 but he is still a top fighter. Top 10 in the world means you are pretty damn good.

About Nog and Mir wearing down....Nog has had a longer career and twice the amount of fights as Mir.

I'm not crying, child, simply reacting to the tone of superiority in a statement like, "Because some people only look at the W or the L..."
That's acting like you know something that you clearly don't. So, please, shh.

I'll agree that Nog is not a fucker that can be smashed by any ol' new-comer, however, I personally prefer that a fighter retire with a modicum of dignity that allows us to remember his best years.
Nog is going to be fed to guys that can smash him, and build their own brand off of a man that could have killed them in his prime. That saddens me because I respect the fighter that Nog has been capable of being.

Personally (and again, this is my view) I have more respect for the Fedor/Lesnar mentality that tells a guy to walk away when the time has come, rather than be smashed by lesser men.
But fine, if you'd prefer to see a legend like Big Nog being beaten by guys that truly have no business competing with him, that's your prerogative.

PS: Werdum is awesome, and isn't among the "lesser fighters" I'm referring to Nog being fed to.

I'm not denying that Nog is a shell of his former self. All I'm saying is I think Nog is underrated and can be somewhat competitive with the top 10. While some people talk about him as if he was barely top 30 and any smuck could whoop him.

I agree that Nog is underrated, and that he still has a place in the top 10, I would just rather see him go out on a high note than destroyed by someone that gives his detractors legitimate reason to criticize him and all he's accomplished.

Unfortunately, I think the current version of Werdum takes a fight with present day Big Nog quite easily. WAR Nog nonetheless.

I'm not crying, child, simply reacting to the tone of superiority in a statement like, "Because some people only look at the W or the L..."
That's acting like you know something that you clearly don't. So, please, shh.

I'll agree that Nog is not a fucker that can be smashed by any ol' new-comer, however, I personally prefer that a fighter retire with a modicum of dignity that allows us to remember his best years.
Nog is going to be fed to guys that can smash him, and build their own brand off of a man that could have killed them in his prime. That saddens me because I respect the fighter that Nog has been capable of being.

Personally (and again, this is my view) I have more respect for the Fedor/Lesnar mentality that tells a guy to walk away when the time has come, rather than be smashed by lesser men.
But fine, if you'd prefer to see a legend like Big Nog being beaten by guys that truly have no business competing with him, that's your prerogative.

PS: Werdum is awesome, and isn't among the "lesser fighters" I'm referring to Nog being fed to.

I agree that Nog is underrated, and that he still has a place in the top 10, I would just rather see him go out on a high note than destroyed by someone that gives his detractors legitimate reason to criticize him and all he's accomplished.

Well, some people only look at a W or L when they should look at the actual fights. That is painfully obvious.

Take back and forth wars like Forrest-Bonnar and Henderson-Shogun. The loser of fights like that shouldn't have their stock go down much yet plenty of posters bash a fighter like Shogun for having a L next to his name for a war like that.

Look at Mir-Nog 2. Mir won but Nog almost had him. Yes, Mir finished the fight brutally but the L doesn't show that Mir was within seconds of losing that fight. It doesn't show that he was rocked and had his face buried in the mat. The L doesn't tell the whole story.

It was a simple statement and I am sorry that your confidence is so low that you think I am acting superior by pointing it out.

Schaub was top ten and was the favorite heading into that fight and Nog made it look easy.

In the Herman fight Nog had a great performance and his boxing looked sharp. Great fighters dominate fighters who shouldn't be in the ring with them. And that exactly what Nog did.

Also no one is downplaying the Mir fight. Mir defeated Nog. But it would be blind to act as if Nog didn't look awesome in the process of losing.

You have hints of a Nog hater. I don't see why. Big Nog has looked great in the last 2 years an yet you discredit all his wins while emphasising his losses. Big Nog will prove a lot of people wrong in the Werdum fight win or lose. In this case I think he wins

I don't hate Nog. I have respect for what he's accomplished in his career (how could you not?. I wasn't crazy about how he handled the Mir losses though and I find a certain contingent of his hardcore fans annoying.

Nog-Mir II was an amazing fight that featured one of the best comebacks of the last several years. Mir was rocked, managed to gain his wits, outmaneuver Nog in some really slick transitions, and secure the kimura en route to breaking his arm. And this is Big Nog were talking about. To do that to someone with that high caliber of jitz is amazing.

But the great comeback wasn't the narrative following the fight. What was? Paraphrasing here but...
-"Mir was out cold and on his face!! Why the hell didn't Herb Dean stop it??"
-"It was completely unfair how Herb Dean warned about shots to the back of the head. That made Nog change his focus and made him lose."
-"Nog was obviously the better fighter that night, and I would bet on him if they fought again, and lets not even bring up how badly Prime Nog would have destroyed him"

And that's just kind of lame. Had that fight been reversed (Mir rocks Nog early. Nog makes a miraculous recovery, outmaneuvers Mir on the ground, and breaks Mir's arm with a submission), it would have been revered as an instant classic and would be Exhibit A in why Nog is the best HW submission fighter ever. Everyone is going to have their favorite fighters but the complete lack of credit given to Mir for both fights just rubs me the wrong way.

And to close, I honestly don't think at this stage of his career that he has a legitimate shot at making another HW title run. It's not like I was trolling with my previous comments.

Nog will take this. He is dramatically underrated these days.

I honestly felt like he should have hung it up after the Schaub fight. However, if it wasn't for one stupid decision he would have likely been near contention again already.

I just don't know if he truly has the skills anymore, but I think he's earned the opporutnity to try again.... one more time though.... I appreciate him wanting to go out on his shield, but I don't want to watch my heros become severely braindamaged in front of my eyes either.

Pride HW Champ
UFC HW Champ
P4P #1 in the Bronze-Age of MMA
Some of the best submissions and a truly well-rounded BJJer...

The guy is awesome.

Nog will take this. He is dramatically underrated these days.

Not sure about taking this one, but yeah Nog is def underrated. He can still grapple with anyone and his striking has been looking really sharp lately.

I dont get what the debate in this thread is and some of you disagreeing that Nog cant make another title run at this point in his career.

If he was 3 fights away and coming off loses, then I would find it very hard to argue for him. BUT!! He's already in that position of being 1 win away from a title shot...........its quite simple....we wins in June, he fights for the title, therefore he's arlready making another run at the title.

If wins vs Werdum, well thats a whole different subject all together, but he certainly has a very good shot to win this fight.

Wow, people are really shitting on Nog? You people don't deserve this sport he helped build for the last 12 years. Ugh, terrible people. Miserable.

Not sure about taking this one, but yeah Nog is def underrated. He can still grapple with anyone and his striking has been looking really sharp lately.

I think he will outstrike Werdum fairly easily, and finish him.

I lost a lot of respect for Nog after the Mir loss, his excuses and him saying "Mir has only got basic BJJ skills" Now i'm sorry but that's just disrespectful and coming from Nog i never expected it.

I hope Werdum makes him bleed and then kimuras his other arm.

Jds and Cain both already lost tho. Fedor was undefeated for a decade.

I understand that, but say either Cain or Junior go the next few years without losing, all while consistently beating the best HW's in the world. They can surpass what the HW's from the previous generations did imo.

No, I can see it now Minotauro gets Fedor x 4 then JDS to the rescue. Too much drama. :icon_chee

Back