Rodrigo Minotauro Wants To Fight For The Heavyweight Belt Again

Herman is a complete non-contender who was on a two fight losing streak (both of them KO's).

Schaub probably has the worst chin of any HW in the UFC.

And this was the result of the that Mir fight, which Nog fans seem to completely ignore (or they excuse it with some silly drivel about how it was Herb Dean's fault or how Mir was "clearly unconscious").
11_Mir_Nogueira_181.jpg

If you would like to believe he has another title run in him, you are more than welcome to do so. I strongly disagree.

Schaub was top ten and was the favorite heading into that fight and Nog made it look easy.

In the Herman fight Nog had a great performance and his boxing looked sharp. Great fighters dominate fighters who shouldn't be in the ring with them. And that exactly what Nog did.

Also no one is downplaying the Mir fight. Mir defeated Nog. But it would be blind to act as if Nog didn't look awesome in the process of losing.

You have hints of a Nog hater. I don't see why. Big Nog has looked great in the last 2 years an yet you discredit all his wins while emphasising his losses. Big Nog will prove a lot of people wrong in the Werdum fight win or lose. In this case I think he wins

I don't think Nog will get a title shot again but he is still a Top 10 HW.

That means he is still elite after all these years.

I would not want to see him face guys like Overeem or Cormier but the lower portion of the top 10 would make for some good matchups

Side note: Love the Harold Howard av (speaking of nostalgia)

Fedor is the greatest fighter in all of combat sports.

Nog comes second.

Cain and JDS aren't even in sight.

Of course they aren't. They're just getting started. Obviously you can't compare their achievements and accomplishments yet. But what they've already done is impressive and you have to at least entertain the possibility they could end up having phenomenal careers as well. So although I agree they have a long ways to go still, they definitely have potential to match and surpass them.

I don't think Nog will get a title shot again but he is still a Top 10 HW.

That means he is still elite after all these years.

I would not want to see him face guys like Overeem or Cormier but the lower portion of the top 10 would make for some good matchups

Kind of like if Wanderlei fought Anderson or if Forrest fought Jones, I would really fear for Nog if he fought anyone in the current top 3-4 at HW.

Schaub isn't all that good, and the fight against Herman was a joke.
I desperately want Nog to get his win against Mir though. But he's had two shots and, while I think that Herb Dean fucked his second attempt, he doesn't really deserve a third.

Nog is done, and guys who act like he isn't are just helping to rob his prime years of their legitimacy.

How is Nog done? His boxing and head movement has looked great. You can deny his completion all you want but then there is great technique. Which Nog has been showing.

Mir defeated Nog But how can anyone deny that Nog was looking great up until the tap?

Of course they aren't. They're just getting started. Obviously you can't compare their achievements and accomplishments yet. But what they've already done is impressive and you have to at least entertain the possibility they could end up having phenomenal careers as well. So although I agree they have a long ways to go still, they definitely have potential to match and surpass them.

No one will ever have the favorable match-ups and MMA landscape to again do what Fedor did. That doesn't mean, the current HW elites would not beat Fedor (I believe either JDS or Cain would beat a Prime Fedor).

Nog's not done.
He destroyed Herman and Schaub, Schaub was top 10 at that time and is very underrated these days. Schaub is a similar case to Bisping, a c0cky guy who's skills and abilities get degraded because no one likes him.

Nog was also easily beating Mir in the 2nd fight but then brain farted and lost and I still cry when I think about that :icon_cry2

I agree that Nog was beating mir handily, but Schaub... The guy was once overrated, but he's never been underrated. He's just that bad. A victory over him, while somewhat unexpected, holds little weight.
I love Nog, but he is nowhere near what he once was, and clinging tothe illusion that he is only serves to give the haters more ammunition when he inevitably gets knocked around by the top of the division.
That saddens me.

How is Nog done? His boxing and head movement has looked great. You can deny his completion all you want but then there is great technique. Which Nog has been showing.

Mir defeated Nog But how can anyone deny that Nog was looking great up until the tap?

Because some people only look at the W or the L or they just like to diminish certain fighter's skills.

I picked Mir in the 2nd fight but after Nog rocked him and face planted him I would give Nog a slight advantage in a 3rd fight. I doubt Nog takes Mir's ground game lightly in a 3rd fight. I also think Nog TKOing Mir is more likely than Mir subbing Nog again

No one will ever have the favorable match-ups and MMA landscape to again do what Fedor did. That doesn't mean, the current HW elites would not beat Fedor (I believe either JDS or Cain would beat a Prime Fedor).

Well I didn't mean duplicate what he did. I was more getting at they could still have very impressive careers while constantly winning against top flight competitors and IMO that would be every bit or more impressive than a huge win streak where the competition was often sub par.

Because some people only look at the W or the L or they just like to diminish certain fighter's skills.

I picked Mir in the 2nd fight but after Nog rocked him and face planted him I would give Nog a slight advantage in a 3rd fight. I doubt Nog takes Mir's ground game lightly in a 3rd fight. I also think Nog TKOing Mir is more likely than Mir subbing Nog again

Don't act like you know more than other posters when you clearly don't.
Also, you've pointed out how you did lean and would lean in all the Nog/Mir fights, it does't matter.
Nog knocked Mir around, sure, and in both of their primes I reckon Nog would have embarrassed him, but Mir (who actually won both times) is also showing signs of wear after all his years in the sport; beating him at this point is not all that great an accomplishment for someone looking at a shot at the title.

Big Nog was a great, but he has very clearly fallen off. Claiming otherwise simply shames his best years.

I doubt they make a third fight happen but I agree. I think Nog takes the third ala Rampage/Wand series

Note: NO MIR FANS IM NOT DISCREDITING MIR BY SAYING THAT.

i dont even get why poeple think if any fighter wont be able to fight for the belt he should retire. nog is still a top12 world hw. he can beat anyone except the elite. so what? he still has some awesome wins in him. i dont want him to retire.

Okay, Nog is not done.
His time anywhere near the top of the division is done.
Better?

His head movement did look great against Schaub, not so much against Herman though.
Either way, he's learning new skills to make up for the obvious physical deficiencies he's having to deal with, but whatever he is learning won't help against the top guys in the division. Thus, the Big Nog we all know and love is, for all intents and purposes, done. Deny it if you want, but I'd rather remember Nog at his best, and not the shadow he is today.

Don't act like you know more than other posters when you clearly don't.
Also, you've pointed out how you did lean and would lean in all the Nog/Mir fights, it does't matter.
Nog knocked Mir around, sure, and in both of their primes I reckon Nog would have embarrassed him, but Mir (who actually won both times) is also showing signs of wear after all his years in the sport; beating him at this point is not all that great an accomplishment for someone looking at a shot at the title.

Big Nog was a great, but he has very clearly fallen off. Claiming otherwise simply shames his best years.

Don't act like I know more than other posters? I was giving my opinion.

Cry some more please.

Everyone knows that Nog has "fallen off" but he is still a top 8-10 fighter.

Just because you are Top 3 anymore doesn't mean that you suck. He is no longer #1 or #2 but he is still a top fighter. Top 10 in the world means you are pretty damn good.

About Nog and Mir wearing down....Nog has had a longer career and twice the amount of fights as Mir.

Sadly, Big Nog is more of an obstacle for the up and coming contenders as opposed to being one himself...

Okay, Nog is not done.
His time anywhere near the top of the division is done.
Better?

His head movement did look great against Schaub, not so much against Herman though.
Either way, he's learning new skills to make up for the obvious physical deficiencies he's having to deal with, but whatever he is learning won't help against the top guys in the division. Thus, the Big Nog we all know and love is, for all intents and purposes, done. Deny it if you want, but I'd rather remember Nog at his best, and not the shadow he is today.

I'm not denying that Nog is a shell of his former self. All I'm saying is I think Nog is underrated and can be somewhat competitive with the top 10. While some people talk about him as if he was barely top 30 and any smuck could whoop him.

i dont even get why poeple think if any fighter wont be able to fight for the belt he should retire. nog is still a top12 world hw. he can beat anyone except the elite. so what? he still has some awesome wins in him. i dont want him to retire.

Because, with his name he is unlikely to get many fights that he can win in the UFC.
He's going to, by-and-large, be fed to up-and-comers who will smash him to build a name off of his legacy.
Now, fair enough, he beat Schaub who was trying to feed off of him, but how many tops guys is he likely to beat at this point in his career?

Personally, I'd rather see him retire as the great he is than as a feeding trough for younger fighters who he could have destroyed in his better days.

Back