Robots Have Taken More Then 5 Million Jobs World Wide Just The Beginning

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Robot builders VS the employee and the builders are winning. Everyone from US, Germany, Japan, China and more are moving rapidly to replace workers with robots.

So severe the problem in DAVOS they held the first international committee to address the dangers of worldwide effort to move to robots. They worry about the unrest and economic dangers of removing workers with robots.

Currently companies like Tesla openly admit that they have more robots then humans to assemble the cars. But instead they are looking into how to create more opportunities while benefiting with cost reduction and reductions in human errors robots achieve.

The problem will grow more severe with as many as 1/2 the world's workers being replaced by 2030 with robots. Scary stuff but some propose creating a social safety net and living wages for many displaced workers.

Scary times for basic manufacturing workers as robots become more efficient at their jobs.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/weekend-roundup-101_b_9054782.html

I swear the biggest problem with this is that people won't take it seriously. It sounds like a problem far off in the future, when in reality we are at the door steps of radical change.

I swear the biggest problem with this is that people won't take it seriously. It sounds like a problem far off in the future, when in reality we are at the door steps of radical change.
This why I create threads like this one. People really don't see it directly. Companies are cutting back hiring and even moving back to the US because the economic advantage offered by other countries is reduced. Problem is this does not equate to a hiring boom. Major industries have moved rapidly to gain business advantages offered by robots.

A dilemma from futuristic sci-fi movies that is coming to real life pretty damn soon. I agree this doesn't get nearly enough attention because people don't seem to realize it really isn't that far off. Advancements in robotics are going to rapidly change society, and I don't think it'll be for the better.

I'm excited about this.
As I just touched upon in another thread, economies evolve and so does the jobs in it. Most developed nations are becoming service economies. Robots by now have simply taken over the jobs that are not that attractive anyway. Who wants to work at an assembly line, really?

I think this is a good thing overall. It will create plenty of job opportunities in other sectors (most obviously the robot industry). But I think that this evolvement calls for all governments, to make sure that their citizens have a way to aqcuire the skills needed, to become an economic asset in the future economy.

And I don't think they can replace the human element needed in a lot of industries, even though they could match the intellectual requirements, e.g. warm hands will still be appreciated in areas like healthcare, food service, entertainment or even store clerks. I'm not concernced about this tbh. I see a lot of exciting opportunities though.

Hail SkyNet

I think it doesn't get the attention it deserves, because of the two logical paths this road takes us down.

A new feudal system, or a communist type system.

You would have to be insane to support a new feudal system, and yet to many people, the idea of people not having to work for a living is sacrosanct.

I'm excited about this.
As I just touched upon in another thread, economies evolve and so does the jobs in it. Most developed nations are becoming service economies. Robots by now have simply taken over the jobs that are not that attractive anyway. Who wants to work at an assembly line, really?

I think this is a good thing overall. It will create plenty of job opportunities in other sectors (most obviously the robot industry). But I think that this evolvement calls for all governments, to make sure that their citizens have a way to aqcuire the skills needed, to become an economic asset in the future economy.

And I don't think they can replace the human element needed in a lot of industries, even though they could match the intellectual requirements, e.g. warm hands will still be appreciated in areas like healthcare, food service, entertainment or even store clerks. I'm not concernced about this tbh. I see a lot of exciting opportunities though.

Hail SkyNet

I do too. I just also see the potential for a calamity.

The white collar elitists sit and laugh at news like this.

They love hearing that blue collar workers are losing their jobs to machines. More profits for their already fattened pockets.

What they don't understand is that their jobs are next. Wait till they have robots to work on Wall Street. Wait till they have the robots doing your taxes, without any error. Wait till the machines are doing the jobs of the doctorsTo a degree that's better than any human could ever produce.

I said this before but I read an article online about quantum computing and this new type of computer ibm has been working on that looks at things like X-rays, cat scans, MRIs. Well the machines are so much better at catching and diagnosing illnesses that humans will be useless in regards to what the computer can do.

This starts with blue collar workers but will one day come for everyone's jobs. This isn't a matter than should be glossed over by anyone. Everyone will eventually be affected by this.

This is nothing new the UK car industry had massive lay off's in the 80's due to robot factory lines taking over, I've worked for companies where half the financial staff were laid off because new software allowed half the people to do all the work. Start learning how to program and fix robots.

This is nothing new the UK car industry had massive lay off's in the 80's due to robot factory lines taking over, I've worked for companies where half the financial staff were laid off because new software allowed half the people to do all the work. Start learning how to program and fix robots.

Well u till they have robots fixing robots.

Like I said in the post above, in the future no job is really safe.

The Oxford report states nearly 50% of jobs in the US will transition to computerization by 2034. This will be one of the big nails in the coffin of capitalism. You punch all these variables into the calculator and it's not rocket science.

The Oxford report states nearly 50% of jobs in the US will transition to computerization by 2034. This will be one of the big nails in the coffin of capitalism. You punch all these variables into the calculator and it's not rocket science.

Not only that but quantum computing will allow for computers to do trillions of calculations within seconds.

Why would you ever pay some schmuck on Wall Street a percentage of your gains or on your trades to do a far worse job than a computer can do.

Every job will be called into question. Especially doctors.

For some reason I feel like the medical industry will be the first to change to these new types of technologies.

Less human error, no schooling, no dealing with doctors egos, and not having to pay such high wages to doctors.

IMO doctors will be one of the first white collar jobs to go.

economist
Not only that but quantum computing will allow for computers to do trillions of calculations within seconds.

Why would you ever pay some schmuck on Wall Street a percentage of your gains or on your trades to do a far worse job than a computer can do.

Every job will be called into question. Especially doctors.

For some reason I feel like the medical industry will be the first to change to these new types of technologies.

Less human error, no schooling, no dealing with doctors egos, and not having to pay such high wages to doctors.

IMO doctors will be one of the first white collar jobs to go.

That is a big assumption that state boards would license AI to practice medicine autonomously.

economist

That is a big assumption that state boards would license AI to practice medicine autonomously.

well that would be the only thing holding the robots back.

Wait till they do the jobs of the doctors in a much more precise, and cheaper way.

No one will give a rats ass about human doctors once they are getting better service and price.

well that would be the only thing holding the robots back.

Wait till they do the jobs of the doctors in a much more precise, and cheaper way.

No one will give a rats ass about human doctors once they are getting better service and price.

People take more note of the human factor in medicine - If anything, Doctors will do less work and have more dynamic resources to diagnosis and remedy, but they will still be the face / ears and voice for a long, long while.

people who talk about the number of available jobs when it comes to economics usually don't have a stronge grasp on it because of one primary fallacy: that it is a goal to have a job.

having a job is not the goal.

People take more note of the human factor in medicine - If anything, Doctors will do less work and have more dynamic resources to diagnosis and remedy, but they will still be the face / ears and voice for a long, long while.

They are already working on things like nano technology so there is no more invasive surgery.

Things like small lasers will be used for cutting if it is still around and it will all be done with robotic arms.

You see the movie Promethius?

That robot thing they had in their medical facility will be how people get surgery in the future. Take the human element right out of it. Program a machine do it with full accuracy.

The medical field will be one of the first to adapt new technologies.

They do it now with open MRIs and new technological breakthroughs.

Robotics will change the medical field in a huge way IMO.

well this totally backfired, now all we hear about is robotic surgery, so not only do these robots not hold up....we have to pay robotic healthcare to take care of them

They are already working on things like nano technology so there is no more invasive surgery.

Things like small lasers will be used for cutting if it is still around and it will all be done with robotic arms.

You see the movie Promethius?

That robot thing they had in their medical facility will be how people get surgery in the future. Take the human element right out of it. Program a machine do it with full accuracy.

The medical field will be one of the first to adapt new technologies.

They do it now with open MRIs and new technological breakthroughs.

Robotics will change the medical field in a huge way IMO.

Of course it will change medicine in great ways but it will still be tools used by Dr's. They will still be the human touch in the same way they use MRI, CT, and various other APM in today's landscape. They will have better access to resources, but they still will be the ones leading personal touch / running the show.

Seriously, you shouldnt use movies to argue a point.

McAfee, associate director of the MIT Center for Digital Business at the Sloan School of Management, speaks rapidly and with a certain awe as he describes advances such as Google’s driverless car. Still, despite his obvious enthusiasm for the technologies, he doesn’t see the recently vanished jobs coming back. The pressure on employment and the resulting inequality will only get worse, he suggests, as digital technologies—fueled with “enough computing power, data, and geeks”—continue their exponential advances over the next several decades. “I would like to be wrong,” he says, “but when all these science-fiction technologies are deployed, what will we need all the people for?”

Brynjolfsson can point to a second chart indicating that median income is failing to rise even as the gross domestic product soars. “It’s the great paradox of our era,” he says. “Productivity is at record levels, innovation has never been faster, and yet at the same time, we have a falling median income and we have fewer jobs. People are falling behind because technology is advancing so fast and our skills and organizations aren’t keeping up.”

MIT Technology Review: How Technology Is Destroying Jobs

Back