Robin Hood Morality Test

dontsnitch

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I've been struggling to answer this morality test, and was wondering what the WR thought. Not sure if this is better in the Berry, but since there's often conversations about philosophy and religion here, it might work out.

I identified what I believe the characters did wrong, I just can't decide on the order:

Little John - He seems to be friends with Robin Hood, so it seems sleazy to take the girl right after an epic fight like this.

Robin Hood - Seems cruel to dump her in this fashion, even if he didn't agree with her having sex with the Sheriff. At least give it some thought and let her down easy.

The Sheriff - Extorting sex from Marion is very low. Likely the worst of all 4 characters.

Maid Marion - Religiously, she shouldn't have had sex to save Robin Hood. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I am really struggling to answer this. Anyone wanna take a crack?

I'd rank them: Marion, John, Robin, Sheriff.

She's kind of a hero. Took a bullet to save her dude. John didn't do anything too bad. Robin was kind of a dick, but it's understandable. The Sheriff was just an asshole.

I did MJRS.

Interpretation
We would expect you to be a happy, well-balanced person who likes people and is liked by others. You question whether many conventional views on morality are valid under all circumstances.

Men: Do we detect a sense of chivalry and idealism under the sophistication?

I'd rank them: Marion, John, Robin, Sheriff.

She's kind of a hero. Took a bullet to save her dude. John didn't do anything too bad. Robin was kind of a dick, but it's understandable. The Sheriff was just an asshole.

I'm very close to MRJS, cause John seems like a sleaze ball. If indeed they're friends, that's not cool in the slightest. You don't swoop in and take your buddies' gal after an epic breakup.

I'm very close to MRJS, cause John seems like a sleaze ball. If indeed they're friends, that's not cool in the slightest. You don't swoop in and take your buddies' gal after an epic breakup.

The story doesn't even say that they were buddies (and says to forget everything you know about the characters, etc.). Even if they were, it would depend how close and stuff (and how close John was to Marion). I think you'd have to assume a lot that wasn't in there to get to saying that Robin's actions weren't worse than John's. That's just me, I guess. I was on Pacy's side, too.

The story doesn't even say that they were buddies (and says to forget everything you know about the characters, etc.). Even if they were, it would depend how close and stuff (and how close John was to Marion). I think you'd have to assume a lot that wasn't in there to get to saying that Robin's actions weren't worse than John's. That's just me, I guess. I was on Pacy's side, too.

Yeah, you're right, if you drop any preconceived notions, John is an opportunist. But then would he not be better than Marion? This is where I struggle.

Marion, Little John, Robin Hood, Sheriff.

Marion- She did something that was surely repulsive to her in order to do what needed doing for her and her beloved, surely knowing that it would damage her relationship with the love of her life. She sacrificed her dignity, her reputation and her man in order to do what needed doing.

Little John- He saw the hidden nobility of her actions and the selfishness of Robin's and helped Marion out.

Robin- He was an ungrateful bitch about it and couldn't get the fuck over himself long enough to say "Yes it hurts that you were with another man but I know you did it because you had to."

Sheriff- Just obviously evil.
We would expect you to be a happy, well-balanced person who likes people and is liked by others. You question whether many conventional views on morality are valid under all circumstances.

Little John- He saw the hidden nobility of her actions and the selfishness of Robin's and helped Marion out.

Or is he taking advantage of a distressed woman who was basically raped and dumped all at once? Or is it pure chivalry?

Yeah, you're right, if you drop any preconceived notions, John is an opportunist. But then would he not be better than Marion? This is where I struggle.

I see Marion as actively heroic. John was just acting out of basic decency (in defending her) and then following his heart (which I see as neutral).

Or is he taking advantage of a distressed woman who was basically raped and dumped all at once? Or is it pure chivalry?

Well it said he pledged devotion to her; it said nothing of whether there was any sexual or romantic implications behind that. I wouldn't ditch my vocation and pledge my lifelong loyalty to someone just to get an opportunistic bit of tail.

Well it said he pledged devotion to her; it said nothing of whether there was any sexual or romantic implications behind that. I wouldn't ditch my vocation and pledge my lifelong loyalty to someone just to get an opportunistic bit of tail.

Well, his name is Little John. I imagine he's now swimming in women.

You're right, though. Although, if true, I'm inclined to go with JMRS.

MJRS for me. Marion did nothing wrong, and even sacrificed herself. Sheriff kept his word but essentially committed rape. Those two seem easy. The gray area for John is moving in on Marion. Not necessarily immoral though. Robin acted in a way that is understandable, and possibly neutral (what does "abused" mean?), so MRJS is reasonable too.

That's from an objective POV. Subjectively, from each individual character's point of view, against his or her own moral history, it gets much more interesting.

I did MJSR.

But could as well shift R and S since there is too little backstory.

If we assume there is no backstory then we cant tell if sheriff is just doing his job when capturing these 2 and these 2 would be legitimate criminals, in that case Robin is simply a criminal who got caught and had his head saved by his GF and he decided to dump her anyway.

Sheriff is just a crooked cop who captured 2 criminals yet decides to let them go in exchange for sex.

Marion takes a fucking bullet to save his love, so she is undoubtely the hero.

And John is taking care of the woman that saved his ass, seems fine to me.

MJRS for me. Marion did nothing wrong, and even sacrificed herself. Sheriff kept his word but essentially committed rape. Those two seem easy. The gray area for John is moving in on Marion. Not necessarily immoral though. Robin acted in a way that is understandable, and possibly neutral (what does "abused" mean?), so MRJS is reasonable too.

Nope, Robin should had been content with not being held in a medieval prison (to be executed in medieval fashion i think) and leave it at that.

He shouldnt had pushed for Marion to reveal anything.

You are essentially a contented person, even if you consider yourself a little superior. You are moral by your own standards, for you believe that morality is what best suits the occasion.

Men: You are sexually uninhibited, more romantic than you may appear, and more dependent on the approval of others than you care to admit.

Eerily more close to home than i would admit, i would certainly take therapy with the guy.

Nope, Robin should had been content with not being held in a medieval prison (to be executed in medieval fashion i think) and leave it at that.

That's a good point.

I'm not the kind of person who can do that. I always have to know. Not saying it's a good quality about myself, just not one I could change if I wanted to.

What's odd, is that the "psychologist's" answer descriptions are very negative except for the top 3 most popular lol. It doesn't sound all that unbiased.

But anyway, I went with: Robin Hood, Marion, Little John and the The Sherriff.

Robin seems like an alpha who's not that worried if he's held up in prison. Not concerned to the extent he'd see his love-interest give herself in a night of passion to the slime-ball who imprisoned them. In fact, he'd see Marion's actions as fickle and short-sighted more than noble.

The next 3 were tough to order:

Marion: I see her as more being naive and acting out of shallow "love" (infatuation) for Robin. At the same time, someone with such a sense of control of the situation wouldn't be trustworthy either and perhaps flighty in the long run.

Little John: Probably had the hots for Marion. Is willfully blind of Robin's misgivings because he's a beta and is okay with secondsies. There is some truth, however, to taking part in the enjoyments of life and crossing one's fingers/hoping for the best.

The Sherriff: Can't say what public figure this reminds me of without a serious derailment, but there's a certain amount of primal honesty to him albeit on the opposite end of the morality spectrum to Robin Hood. A scummy dude at best.

What's odd, is that the "psychologist's" answer descriptions are very negative except for the top 3 most popular lol. It doesn't sound all that unbiased.

But anyway, I went with: Robin Hood, Marion, Little John and the The Sherriff.

Robin seems like an alpha who's not that worried if he's held up in prison. Not concerned to the extent he'd see his love-interest give herself in a night of passion to the slime-ball who imprisoned them. In fact, he'd see Marion's actions as fickle and short-sighted more than noble.

The next 3 were tough to order:

Marion: I see her as more being naive and acting out of shallow "love" (infatuation) for Robin. At the same time, someone with such a sense of control of the situation wouldn't be trustworthy either and perhaps flighty in the long run.

Little John: Probably had the hots for Marion. Is willfully blind of Robin's misgivings because he's a beta and is okay with secondsies. There is some truth, however, to taking part in the enjoyments of life and crossing one's fingers/hoping for the best.

The Sherriff: Can't say what public figure this reminds me of without a serious derailment, but there's a certain amount of honesty to this character albeit on the opposite end of the morality spectrum to Robin Hood. A slime-ball at best.

It's true that the descriptions seem to be ushering people in a certain direction, but I don't know.

I considered Robin Hood first, but he was unnecessarily cruel. If he let her down easy, I could go for him being the most noble.

Back