Roberto Duran's Son has said his father has tested positive for Covid

Stormtrooper85

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Saw this shared on the Hands of Stone FB page and checked out his IG page.

Google translate:

Robinduran20 First of all, thanks to the people who have worried about my dad, since a news story about his health has circulated in chains and in the media. My dad felt a bit of a cold and that's why he made the decision to take him to the hospital, since he has a lung that doesn't work 100% due to an accident in Argentina a few years ago. Apart from age factor, the doctors have decided to leave him under observation since the first exams show a simple cold virus, but as this is the situation and while the tests are finished, the decision to leave him in the hospital is the best. We pray that it is nothing more than the simple virus and that it is not Covid19. In the same way we will be reporting any event related to your health. Thanks for being outstanding. I certainly ask the media not to be alarmist. I have received calls from journalists saying that my dad is ill, with breathing tubes, intensive care and such. My dad had no fever today. Once again thank you for your love.

robinduran20 My dad's exams have just arrived and it is our duty as a family to communicate the correct information to them.
For now, there are no symptoms beyond a simple cold. He is not in intensive care or on a ventilator, he is still under observation. We just talked to the doctor and he tells us that the lungs are fine and there is no indication of seriousness. Let's continue to have faith that everything will turn out well. I keep you informed. Regards

robinduran20 My dad's exams have just arrived and it is our duty as a family to communicate the correct information to them.
For now, there are no symptoms beyond a simple cold. He is not in intensive care or on a ventilator, he is still under observation. We just talked to the doctor and he tells us that the lungs are fine and there is no indication of seriousness. Let's continue to have faith that everything will turn out well. I keep you informed. Regards

Yeah it's definitely lucky that his symptoms aren't bad, hopefully it stays that way.

Yep. He was quite an inspiration when I was a teen. I wasn’t as Smooth or graceful as Sugar Ray, nor as tall and fast as the Hitman, but I figured I could learn to be tough like Duran.
Hopefully he is still tough enough to beat down the virus without too much trouble.

I think Duran can win a decision here.

Honestly though, even with mild symptoms it can be a rough recovery for respiratory system and whatever condition his lungs are in will probably be difficult once it passes too.

he was in some kind of car accident which ended his long boxing career when he was about 50, so, hopefully he'll be ok. It seems that the people who have gotten sick and died it in my city, that i hear of anyway, are people who own stores or bars. The amount of people you see when you deal with the public has to compact the odds greatly for people like that or people like Duran who must shake a lot of hands and meet his public. Right now, I would assume his best friend would be his past lifestyle as an athlete and one who at least stayed away from all drugs other than booze.

Great news! looks like we can all get back to normal life real soon.

I almost feel bad for Covid--it didn't know who it was messing with.

Have you known anyone with it? I dont. I'm in the first hotspot.
I had it, mild symptoms but it lasted 5 weeks. It's been gone for a month but my lungs are still recovering.

I had no prior health issues but going up and downstairs in my house was very difficult for the first 2 weeks

he was in some kind of car accident which ended his long boxing career when he was about 50, so, hopefully he'll be ok. It seems that the people who have gotten sick and died it in my city, that i hear of anyway, are people who own stores or bars. The amount of people you see when you deal with the public has to compact the odds greatly for people like that or people like Duran who must shake a lot of hands and meet his public. Right now, I would assume his best friend would be his past lifestyle as an athlete and one who at least stayed away from all drugs other than booze.

That car accident also damaged one of his lungs, that probably made him more likely to get it as well as the other things you mentioned.

I had it, mild symptoms but it lasted 5 weeks. It's been gone for a month but my lungs are still recovering.

I had no prior health issues but going up and downstairs in my house was very difficult for the first 2 weeks
i haven't known or heard of anyone I know getting it, I think it's caused a lot of hysteria, some of it unnecessary.

glad you got over it though, i was pretty sick last year, this year, no problems. I think what the experts are really worried about is a second wave such as the Spanish flu. it's all very strange though, it's a perfect illustration of how people's values and bias' overrule logic and science. Lots of people got sick for not listening to anyone and not being willing to lose money, some of them died.

Last edited:
That car accident also damaged one of his lungs, that probably made him more likely to get it as well as the other things you mentioned.
it's a good thing he isn't obese anymore, that's another risk factor.

i haven't known or heard of anyone I know getting it, I think it's caused a lot of hysteria, some of it unnecessary.

glad you got over it though, i was pretty sick last year, this year, no problems. I think what the experts are really worried about is a second wave such as the Spanish flu. it's all very strange though, it's a perfect illustration of how people's values and bias' overrule logic and science. Lots of people got sick for not listening to anyone and not being willing to lose money, some of them died.

Yeah it was a rough period but I'm just glad I didn't have to go to the hospital at all.

I agree about that second wave, it's almost certainly going to be worse than the first time because people think well I don't believe in it so I'm going out and fuck it.

Yeah it was a rough period but I'm just glad I didn't have to go to the hospital at all.

I agree about that second wave, it's almost certainly going to be worse than the first time because people think well I don't believe in it so I'm going out and fuck it.
I understand the reason for caution and I've taken plenty of them but I've never been a guy who lived in fear, it's not something I'll do now. In fact, i've always had a bit of a self-destructive streak. I worked all throughout the thing with no issues but all these places are empty and i have little human contact. My stepdad who is about 75 now wanted me to visit and I wouldn't chance that at the time.

I really do think the country is falling apart and with or without the pandemic, i need to get out of the city and into some rural living. It's not just the pandemic, it's how unstable society is. It's too easy to get caught up in bullshit if you're right in the middle of it. I worked through the lootings and riots and that was no fun whatsoever and probably way more stressful than covid because traffic was screwed, the wifi was screwed and there were cops everywhere trying to quell riots. too easy to have issues with people in that environment.

They just announced it on the ESPN Top Rank Card tonight.. Yikes.

Best wishes for an ATG on a quick recovery.

somehow, i can't see covid taking him out. he is up in age though. also, i though hot climates were supposedly less hospitable to the virus? I'm seeing arizona supposedly having issues.

Have you known anyone with it? I dont. I'm in the first hotspot.

my 70+ year neighbor died from it after arriving from a cruise, my wife’s brother has two friends whose fathers got it, one died from it and the other is in the ICU. A friend of mine and the son of another friend of mine got it but both were ok, I think no symptoms.

But being realistic there are a lot of people who have it who have no idea they do.

my 70+ year neighbor died from it after arriving from a cruise, my wife’s brother has two friends whose fathers got it, one died from it and the other is in the ICU. A friend of mine and the son of another friend of mine got it but both were ok, I think no symptoms.

But being realistic there are a lot of people who have it who have no idea they do.
jesus, that sounds like a lot of people, what region of the country are you in? I have customers in mercer Island with an elderly mother in one of the resthomes over there, I asked about her last week, she's fine and i guess her rest home wasn't hit too hard but that's right near the first spot in the country that got everyone's attention.

Back