Roberto Duran vs Tito Trinidad at 147 Prime vs Prime

How about a Duran vs Pryor at 140??

GO!

Not really. There were certain styles Duran could beat and certain styles he couldn't.

He had problems with good technical fighters early on, near his prime and late in his career.

nah they were flukey

Seano is trying too hard to be a boxing hipster sometimes Duran wasn't unbeatable but I don't understand how anyone can think the version of Duran that beat Leonard would lose to Tito. He's all wrong stylistically and beside the Hearns fight he was close to unstoppable. Barkley a 6'1 MW who was pretty strong and while not super skilled far from a bad fighter lost to an even older and fatter Duran who took his shots well and wasn't bullied by the bigger man.
Duran outfights Tito on the inside and has to much movement, speed and skill to get caught with many big shots on the outside and he would be able to take single shots without going out even from Tito.

That people view Duran as an unstoppable machine, although he was clearly outboxed and beaten several times in his career, especially at the weight people pick him to dominate guys like Tito or Floyd.

Duran is a guy that people remember so fondly based on his style that all of his flaws and losses are basically forgiven and considered flukey.

Duran is the greatest lightweight of all time

Seano is trying too hard to be a boxing hipster sometimes Duran wasn't unbeatable but I don't understand how anyone can think the version of Duran that beat Leonard would lose to Tito. He's all wrong stylistically and beside the Hearns fight he was close to unstoppable. Barkley a 6'1 MW who was pretty strong and while not super skilled far from a bad fighter lost to an even older and fatter Duran who took his shots well and wasn't bullied by the bigger man.
Duran outfights Tito on the inside and has to much movement, speed and skill to get caught with many big shots on the outside and he would be able to take single shots without going out even from Tito.

How did the Duran who beat Leonard lose to Kirkland Laing?

Why didn't Duran "outfight" Hearns on the inside?

Not really. There were certain styles Duran could beat and certain styles he couldn't.

He had problems with good technical fighters early on, near his prime and late in his career.

Some of them were flukey as you say, it helps that he was such an undisciplined c*u*n*t*. There will always be fans that will come with retarded arguments like serious Anderson, healthy Shogun or Prime Cro Cop...
Esteban de Jesus, Marvin Hagler, Ben

Leonard never fought a single day at LW

edit: confused Benny and Sugar Ray, my bad

hmm, I didnt even think of Benny Leonard. Never really seen him fight, is he really worth mentioning in the all time LW talk?

only hipsters are repelled by duran's considerable masculinity,horse stopping punches,and villanious tactics

h5CF6B201

hmm, I didnt even think of Benny Leonard. Never really seen him fight, is he really worth mentioning in the all time LW talk?

yes, he is, there are many who would go so far as to say that he's the #1 LW of all time

Because he never was on the inside vs Hearns and because Hearns was a harder hitter than even Tito and one of the best offensive boxers of all time. You aren't really arguing that Duran wasn't a great great inside fighter are you? Tito had to egt set to punch, wouldn't be able to beat Duran on the inside, wouldn't be able to stop Duran with single shots he might land (even Hearns unloaded with many huge shots before he stopped Duran), wouldn't be able to take Duran's shots the way Duran could take his and just has little chance.
All you do is list fighters Duran lost to but you haven't given an argument why you think Tito beats him

Game Duran, aka Game Pitbull, aka The Living Legend by KO. Tito's offense isn't creative enough to find Duran's chin enough. Tito's defense.... is well... not exactly his strong point. Let's face it, if it was Titoin that ring in Montreal he'd have gotten annihilated.

Because he never was on the inside vs Hearns and because Hearns was a harder hitter than even Tito and one of the best offensive boxers of all time. You aren't really arguing that Duran wasn't a great great inside fighter are you? Tito had to egt set to punch, wouldn't be able to beat Duran on the inside, wouldn't be able to stop Duran with single shots he might land (even Hearns unloaded with many huge shots before he stopped Duran), wouldn't be able to take Duran's shots the way Duran could take his and just has little chance.
All you do is list fighters Duran lost to but you haven't given an argument why you think Tito beats him
I'm aware actually. He couldn't handle Hearns combo of size, reach and power.

Duran was a great inside fighter when he could get there. But what happened when a guy wasn't willing to fight him inside and had the ability to do something else?

Duran was never unbeatable, as much as fans like to pretend he was. He got knocked out, outboxed, he quit....

I'd pick Duran over recent guys like Ricky Hatton or Lucas Mathysse etc. Brawlers, tough guys etc Thats who Duran beat, thats the sort of guy that his LW resume was built on.

But not the more skilled technical guys. Thats Durans career in a nutshell. He couldn't beat guys with good technique when he was actually active, I don't see how he suddenly does it in fantasy matchups.

I'm aware actually. He couldn't handle Hearns combo of size, reach and power.

Duran was a great inside fighter when he could get there. But what happened when a guy wasn't willing to fight him inside and had the ability to do something else?

Duran was never unbeatable, as much as fans like to pretend he was. He got knocked out, outboxed, he quit....

I'd pick Duran over recent guys like Ricky Hatton or Lucas Mathysse etc. Brawlers, tough guys etc Thats who Duran beat, thats the sort of guy that his LW resume was built on.

But not the more skilled technical guys. Thats Durans career in a nutshell. He couldn't beat guys with good technique when he was actually active, I don't see how he suddenly does it in fantasy matchups.

Duran wouldn't only beat tough guys the Duran who fought SLR has a very good chance of beating today's Mayweather at least if he fights like he fought Maidana.
I'm not going to make excuses for Duran but he wasn't fighting smart vs Hearns and he never even tried to get on the inside he stood on the outside and was taken apart by Hearns. If Duran wants to get on the inside vs Tito and jumps on him the way he jumped on SRL he gets on the inside Tito isn't 6'1 with HW reach, doesn't have nearly the same jab Hearns had and isn't as skillful offensively.
Duran beat SRL you don't really wanna call SRL a brawler? Duran gave maybe the best MW ever h2h in Hagler tough early rounds Hagler was also no brawler even though he could brawl. He fought all of the other big 4 who are all ATGs, beat one of them (at least in the first fight), was competitive with the other one when no one thought he should have been and only really had no chance vs Hearns. Duran was inconsistent but even at his worst he was no easy fight for anyone and at his best he was really that good

Duran wouldn't only beat tough guys the Duran who fought SLR has a very good chance of beating today's Mayweather at least if he fights like he fought Maidana.
I'm not going to make excuses for Duran but he wasn't fighting smart vs Hearns and he never even tried to get on the inside he stood on the outside and was taken apart by Hearns. If Duran wants to get on the inside vs Tito and jumps on him the way he jumped on SRL he gets on the inside Tito isn't 6'1 with HW reach, doesn't have nearly the same jab Hearns had and isn't as skillful offensively.
Duran beat SRL you don't really wanna call SRL a brawler? Duran gave maybe the best MW ever h2h in Hagler tough early rounds Hagler was also no brawler even though he could brawl. He fought all of the other big 4 who are all ATGs, beat one of them (at least in the first fight), was competitive with the other one when no one thought he should have been and only really had no chance vs Hearns. Duran was inconsistent but even at his worst he was no easy fight for anyone and at his best he was really that good
Floyd would box circles around Duran and Duran would get mad and claim he ran all night.

Duran did beat Sugar Ray Leonard. But watch the 2 fights. Leonard was the brawler in the first fight and the boxer in the second. Remind me of the results again? (Personally I thought Leonard deserved the nod in the first fight too)

If someone were to say, "Who were the best technical fighters that Duran fought?"

The answer would be Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Benitez.... all the guys who beat him.

Duran was not inconsistent at all. He was one of the most consistent fighters in the history of the sport. He just couldn't beat certain guys.

There's always an excuse for Duran's losses.

Back