Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu Interview

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tf, Aug 22, 2010.

1. tf

tf Inside BJJ Podcast

2. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Cool interview. Florida seems like it's turning into a big BJJ hotspot!

3. irc

irc Brown Belt

I was in Miami a few weeks ago visiting. I dropped in on his new school, which is located in a cleared out old movie theatre, if you can picture it. Roberto was there along with just a few other guys. He was amazingly kind to me. He couldn't train because his neck was hurt, but he watched. He said that whenever I'm in Miami, his school is my home. Thought that was really cool and will certainly go back next time I'm there.

4. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Cyborg really is a great guy. Almost everyone in BJJ is a nice guy to some extent, but Cyborg truly goes above and beyond.

If you read his history in the interview, you can see why. He grew up as some random farm boy in Brazil. There wasn't even really a BJJ presence in his area. He trained with three different people until he got his purple belt, and he was basically on his own from there.

Despite his amazing skill, he has no pretensions at all. He doesn't come from a famous family, team, or lineage. He's just Cyborg, succeeding against all odds. Sometimes you see people getting wrapped up in politics, but he wastes no time with that. I went to his seminar, and he kept no secret techniques. He just showed everyone his best techniques, and then went on to get a silver in the Mundials using those techniques the next year.

He is definitely an inspiration to me, not only for his skill but also for his amazing attitude as a martial artist.

5. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

That man is a hero.

6. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

Cyborg is the man.

7. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Wow, seems like a super cool dude. Thanks for sharing.

8. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

Awesome interview. Thanks for the read.

9. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

Great interview. Gonna have to make it out to Miami after my trip to Brazil when I go. $700 a month and includes training, not a bad deal. FS Miami Camp – CYBORG BJJ

10. Mat Nemesis**

Mat Nemesis** Green Belt

agreed- cyborg is the man, now I just have to convince my job to give me a month off.