Rumored Robert Whittaker vs. Israel Adesanya MW title unification bout expected for October 6 at UFC 243

So he would have been champ since December 7th 2017 and not defended once in 22 months. Pathetic.
Not his fault Romero is a fat ass.

BarOQpZ.gif

Tough fight for both. Whittaker took on Romero twice not many can say that, but he arguably lost his last fight against Romero he was dropped several times. I don't think they'll be a finish in this fight. Israel also took a lot of unnecessary punches from Kelvin so he might go into this fight a little more careful. Hard fight to call. I got Israel winning possibly by UD again. Last time Whittaker fought a legit kickboxer it didn't end well for him.. we'll see what happens.

Cannot wait for this. I was hoping Gastelum would win because I thought he'd be a better stylistic match-up against Whittaker but Israel showed a great chin, good recovery and decent TDD. Should be a great fight.

A long wait, but headlining Australia makes sense. Great fight! Australian fans deserve it

https://mmadna.nl/whittaker-vs-adesanya-in-oktober-tijdens-ppv-evenement-in-sydney/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Sydney_Stadium

SIR

The UFC will return to Sydney, Australia on October 6, 2019 (October 5 in North America). The UFC 243 PPV event is being organized at Bankwest Stadium (capacity 30,000). The desired Main Event is being worked on and will probably be a title-unification fight between UFC Middleweight Champion Robert Whittaker and Interim Champion Israel Adesanya.

It will be the sixth time for the UFC to organize an event in Sydney, Australia. The first time was on February 21, 2010. The last time on November 19, 2017.

that is a no brainer.

Called this. August was too soon. DC will headline 240 or 241, Usman will headline the other.

242 will be Khabib vs Poirier, & possibly Max vs Edgar(Edgar/Penn 1 was in Abu Dhabi).

If Volkanovski beats Aldo, I could see Max/Volkanovski co-maining 243 instead. Definitely won't be a women's fight co-maining in Abu Dhabi lol.

237 is good, 238 is really good top to bottom, 239 is spectacular. Ppv schedule looks great for the rest of 2019.

Nooooooooooooooo

Australian cards are cursed!
I agree. I just hope it's not Whittaker getting injured again. I'm a huge Reaper fan, but the UFC will have no choice but to strip him if he pulls out.

Izzy has a huge shot of becoming the 185 champ, one way or another.

Time for Isreal to get the real belt.

I agree. I just hope it's not Whittaker getting injured again. I'm a huge Reaper fan, but the UFC will have no choice but to strip him if he pulls out.

Izzy has a huge shot of becoming the 185 champ, one way or another.

Yeah I'll be rooting for Robert too. They need a real solid back up plan though incase it does fall through. Which is almost imminent!

October? WTF

I'll be like 60 by then and i'm just 15.

I think as I understand it the 'summer and beyond' PPV schedule looks like this :

UFC238 : Cejudo v Moraes, June8th, Chicago
UFC239 : Jones v Santos in early July.
UFC240 = bit of a mystery, scheduled for 27th july. Am sure Adensanya said "too soon".
UFC241 = likely Cormier vs someone, August 2019. Lesnar if they can get him to do it. If not, maybe Stipe again.
UFC242 = Sept 7th, Abu Dhabi, so that's obviously Khabib vs someone (Poirier I certainly hope)
UFC243 = Oct 6th, Sydney. Clearly gonna be a heavily Aus /NZ / Asian card. Perfect for Whittaker v Adesanya.

So really there were not many Main Event slots left for any upcoming PPVs and Dana White DID say the night that Adesanya beat Gastelum "we gotta do that fight in Australia".
So really they've been looking for a BIG venue in Sydney or Melbourne I would say, and trying to make it far enough away that Adesanya says "ok that's fine with me".

I'm gonna take a guess and say this : CONOR *might* be pencilled in to headline UFC240. That's 3months from now, that's enough time for him to train and prepare. Just a guess really.

Last edited:
I think as I understand it the 'summer and beyond' PPV schedule looks like this :

UFC238 : Namajunas v Andrade, June8th, Chicago
UFC239 : Jones v Santos in early July.
UFC240 = bit of a mystery, scheduled for 27th july. Am sure Adensanya said "too soon".
UFC241 = likely Cormier vs someone, August 2019. Lesnar if they can get him to do it. If not, maybe Stipe again.
UFC242 = Sept 7th, Abu Dhabi, so that's obviously Khabib vs someone (Poirier I certainly hope)
UFC243 = Oct 6th, Sydney. Clearly gonna be a heavily Aus /NZ / Asian card. Perfect for Whittaker v Adesanya.

So really there were not many Main Event slots left for any upcoming PPVs and Dana White DID say the night that Adesanya beat Gastelum "we gotta do that fight in Australia".
So really they've been looking for a BIG venue in Sydney or Melbourne I would say, and trying to make it far enough away that Adesanya says "ok that's fine with me".

I'm gonna take a guess and say this : CONOR *might* be pencilled in to headline UFC240. That's 3months from now, that's enough time for him to train and prepare. Just a guess really.
UFC 238 is actually Cejudo Vs Moraes.

Rose Vs Andrade is UFC 237 which is on may 11th.

UFC 238 is actually Cejudo Vs Moraes.

Rose Vs Andrade is UFC 237 which is on may 11th.
oops yes you're right. Thanks for the headsup. I'll go fix it..

Also one thing...I'm sure that UFC *will* have definitely a backuo fighter prepare and train to step-in if anyone drops out of the Sydney Main Event. Maybe Hermansson? or Gastelum? They just can't risk another Did-Not-Happen-185lb-Title-Fight.

And yes, if Whittaker does not make it into the cage for ANY reason that night, I'm quite sure that he will be told before-hand that he'll be stripped. *especially* as Adesanya is clearly a heavily-promoted UFC guy.

Back