Robert Whittaker: UFC giving title shots to fighters who miss weight is ‘not fair’

He won 2 decisions against an overhyped bodybuilder with gas tank and striking range issues.

He did not fight Playboy-Wonderboy(Rockhold), Still-My-Wonderboy(Weidman) or against Military-Cardio-Bisping. 3 very large fighters in the division who make weight. Can at least attempt long range attacks for 2 or 3 rounds.

It's ironic because where he is now even in promotability is because of B-side Romero.
What kind of smoke did you crack?

Whittaker still crying?

I dont blame him, he knows Romero is the people's champ.

Whittaker still crying?

I dont blame him, he knows Romero is the people's champ.
The people's champ? Why, cos he's got big muscles and you like cranking one out to him? Whittaker defied all odds to get that belt and for many people it's nice to have a non-cheating champ who also seems like an honourable martial artist and good family man.

Sherdog makes me laugh so hard sometimes. No wonder the fighters don't come here any more.

If someone consistently misses weight, then the UFC is fucking stupid to keep signing them to fights at that weight class. Romero can't make 185? Then quit giving him fights at 185 and tell him he needs to go 205. Same for anyone else. Miss weight twice, or even once by an egregious amount (like Mackenzie Dern coming in 8 pounds over) , your next fight is a weight class up.

He won 2 decisions against an overhyped bodybuilder with gas tank and striking range issues.

He did not fight Playboy-Wonderboy(Rockhold), Still-My-Wonderboy(Weidman) or against Military-Cardio-Bisping. 3 very large fighters in the division who make weight. Can at least attempt long range attacks for 2 or 3 rounds.

It's ironic because where he is now even in promotability is because of B-side Romero.

LOL @ denigrating Romero and fluffing up two guys he damn near murdered and another who dodged him like he was the plague.

Robert Whittakerwants the punishments to be steep for fighters who miss weight. instead, the UFC seems to be going in the opposite direction.

Yoel Romero missed weight at UFC 221in February, only to beat Luke Rockholdand earn a title shot against Whittaker at UFC 225 in June. Romero, of course, missed weight prior to the Whittaker bout and was unable to win the middleweight belt had he been victorious. Whittaker ended up winning by split decision.

Whittaker, 27, seems to find the whole thing ludicrous, he said Monday at a media lunch to promote Wednesday’s premiere of The Ultimate Fighter 28.

“It’s like me going down to bantamweight, not making weight, winning because I’m much bigger and then getting a title shot,” said Whittaker, who coaches opposite Kelvin Gastelumon TUF 28. “It’s not fair. It’s not fair. Because on the flip side, the guys that are making weight don’t make it easy. It wasn’t easy to cut weight and make weight and do the job. We still had to struggle, we still had to diet weeks out. We’re just more professional at it. We just did it right.”

Whittaker (20-4) said he thought about not fighting Romero when he missed weight at UFC 225 in Chicago, but it was a nearly impossible decision to make. He wanted to fight, flew a long way from Australia to compete, needed to get paid and didn’t want to let down all of his fans.

“The people who do make weight are also in a hard position,” Whittaker said. “Because they’re in a position where they still need to make money to pay the bills, to earn a wage, to do their job. But they also have the support of hundreds of thousands of people who have come to see them fight or that are watching them on TV to watch a fight. The fans. That’s kind of why you fight — they drive the sport.

“When you ask a guy, ‘Are you gonna take a fight if your opponent doesn’t make weight?’ Is it really asking? Does he really have a choice? When you back the into a corner like that, is there really a choice to be made? You have to look at the whole process behind it.”

“It’s a very funny topic, missing weight and getting title shots,” Whittaker said. “I think the punishments should be more severe, but I don’t know.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

<mma4>

Bobby Knuckles talking facts
Bobby is right,
Its simple really,fail a weight cut once 25% of your purse goes to your opponent IF he accepts the fight.
Fail twice loses 50% of your purse and it is obligatory to go up a WC.
Lets see if ForgeyJesus,and the rest of the huge weight cutters(who keep failing) accept that and keep Doing it.

Robert Whittakerwants the punishments to be steep for fighters who miss weight. instead, the UFC seems to be going in the opposite direction.

Yoel Romero missed weight at UFC 221in February, only to beat Luke Rockholdand earn a title shot against Whittaker at UFC 225 in June. Romero, of course, missed weight prior to the Whittaker bout and was unable to win the middleweight belt had he been victorious. Whittaker ended up winning by split decision.

Whittaker, 27, seems to find the whole thing ludicrous, he said Monday at a media lunch to promote Wednesday’s premiere of The Ultimate Fighter 28.

“It’s like me going down to bantamweight, not making weight, winning because I’m much bigger and then getting a title shot,” said Whittaker, who coaches opposite Kelvin Gastelumon TUF 28. “It’s not fair. It’s not fair. Because on the flip side, the guys that are making weight don’t make it easy. It wasn’t easy to cut weight and make weight and do the job. We still had to struggle, we still had to diet weeks out. We’re just more professional at it. We just did it right.”

Whittaker (20-4) said he thought about not fighting Romero when he missed weight at UFC 225 in Chicago, but it was a nearly impossible decision to make. He wanted to fight, flew a long way from Australia to compete, needed to get paid and didn’t want to let down all of his fans.

“The people who do make weight are also in a hard position,” Whittaker said. “Because they’re in a position where they still need to make money to pay the bills, to earn a wage, to do their job. But they also have the support of hundreds of thousands of people who have come to see them fight or that are watching them on TV to watch a fight. The fans. That’s kind of why you fight — they drive the sport.

“When you ask a guy, ‘Are you gonna take a fight if your opponent doesn’t make weight?’ Is it really asking? Does he really have a choice? When you back the into a corner like that, is there really a choice to be made? You have to look at the whole process behind it.”

“It’s a very funny topic, missing weight and getting title shots,” Whittaker said. “I think the punishments should be more severe, but I don’t know.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

<mma4>

Bobby Knuckles talking facts

No reason people that miss weight/or pull out more than once shouldn’t be forced to move up.

That's why they should weigh fighters way before the fight and have rules about how much they can cut.

Only idiots bothers to make weight for a non-title fight these days, 20% of your purse is well worth it for the size advantage you will gain and future title shots you are more likely to earn. They aren't even being subtle about it anymore but you can't blame fighters for missing weight when there is a big incentive to miss it.

Irrational bias makes people stupid. I see through this comment....

At least you're on the right subject this time, I still say you're a bot though.

While I do agree with Whittaker on this topic in general, in this case Romero didnt make like 0,2 lbs. So lets not get too dramatic about the size or weightcutting advantage Romero had. I think he should be more fired up about Romero's trips to Cuba after which he comes back as the Man of Steel.

The people's champ? Why, cos he's got big muscles and you like cranking one out to him? Whittaker defied all odds to get that belt and for many people it's nice to have a non-cheating champ who also seems like an honourable martial artist and good family man.

Sherdog makes me laugh so hard sometimes. No wonder the fighters don't come here any more.
No, because in the real world when two lions get into it, to me the winner is the one who’s inflicting the greater damage and getting stronger as the fight goes on.

But ya keep crying, never seen fanboys cry and complain so much after their fighter “won”.

Back