Robert Whittaker: UFC giving title shots to fighters who miss weight is ‘not fair’

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Robert Whittakerwants the punishments to be steep for fighters who miss weight. instead, the UFC seems to be going in the opposite direction.

Yoel Romero missed weight at UFC 221in February, only to beat Luke Rockholdand earn a title shot against Whittaker at UFC 225 in June. Romero, of course, missed weight prior to the Whittaker bout and was unable to win the middleweight belt had he been victorious. Whittaker ended up winning by split decision.

Whittaker, 27, seems to find the whole thing ludicrous, he said Monday at a media lunch to promote Wednesday’s premiere of The Ultimate Fighter 28.

“It’s like me going down to bantamweight, not making weight, winning because I’m much bigger and then getting a title shot,” said Whittaker, who coaches opposite Kelvin Gastelumon TUF 28. “It’s not fair. It’s not fair. Because on the flip side, the guys that are making weight don’t make it easy. It wasn’t easy to cut weight and make weight and do the job. We still had to struggle, we still had to diet weeks out. We’re just more professional at it. We just did it right.”

Whittaker (20-4) said he thought about not fighting Romero when he missed weight at UFC 225 in Chicago, but it was a nearly impossible decision to make. He wanted to fight, flew a long way from Australia to compete, needed to get paid and didn’t want to let down all of his fans.

“The people who do make weight are also in a hard position,” Whittaker said. “Because they’re in a position where they still need to make money to pay the bills, to earn a wage, to do their job. But they also have the support of hundreds of thousands of people who have come to see them fight or that are watching them on TV to watch a fight. The fans. That’s kind of why you fight — they drive the sport.

“When you ask a guy, ‘Are you gonna take a fight if your opponent doesn’t make weight?’ Is it really asking? Does he really have a choice? When you back the into a corner like that, is there really a choice to be made? You have to look at the whole process behind it.”

“It’s a very funny topic, missing weight and getting title shots,” Whittaker said. “I think the punishments should be more severe, but I don’t know.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

<mma4>

Bobby Knuckles talking facts

Robert Whittakerwants the punishments to be steep for fighters who miss weight. instead, the UFC seems to be going in the opposite direction.

Yoel Romero missed weight at UFC 221in February, only to beat Luke Rockholdand earn a title shot against Whittaker at UFC 225 in June. Romero, of course, missed weight prior to the Whittaker bout and was unable to win the middleweight belt had he been victorious. Whittaker ended up winning by split decision.

Whittaker, 27, seems to find the whole thing ludicrous, he said Monday at a media lunch to promote Wednesday’s premiere of The Ultimate Fighter 28.

“It’s like me going down to bantamweight, not making weight, winning because I’m much bigger and then getting a title shot,” said Whittaker, who coaches opposite Kelvin Gastelumon TUF 28. “It’s not fair. It’s not fair. Because on the flip side, the guys that are making weight don’t make it easy. It wasn’t easy to cut weight and make weight and do the job. We still had to struggle, we still had to diet weeks out. We’re just more professional at it. We just did it right.”

Whittaker (20-4) said he thought about not fighting Romero when he missed weight at UFC 225 in Chicago, but it was a nearly impossible decision to make. He wanted to fight, flew a long way from Australia to compete, needed to get paid and didn’t want to let down all of his fans.

“The people who do make weight are also in a hard position,” Whittaker said. “Because they’re in a position where they still need to make money to pay the bills, to earn a wage, to do their job. But they also have the support of hundreds of thousands of people who have come to see them fight or that are watching them on TV to watch a fight. The fans. That’s kind of why you fight — they drive the sport.

“When you ask a guy, ‘Are you gonna take a fight if your opponent doesn’t make weight?’ Is it really asking? Does he really have a choice? When you back the into a corner like that, is there really a choice to be made? You have to look at the whole process behind it.”

“It’s a very funny topic, missing weight and getting title shots,” Whittaker said. “I think the punishments should be more severe, but I don’t know.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

<mma4>

Bobby Knuckles talking facts
<DCrying><DCrying>

tenor.gif

Trying to get 4.2 billion back by being a legit sports org.
That shit take too long.

always interesting to get insights like this. I'm not sure I agree entirely, but he makes some valid points

He won 2 decisions against an overhyped bodybuilder with gas tank and striking range issues.

He did not fight Playboy-Wonderboy(Rockhold), Still-My-Wonderboy(Weidman) or against Military-Cardio-Bisping. 3 very large fighters in the division who make weight. Can at least attempt long range attacks for 2 or 3 rounds.

It's ironic because where he is now even in promotability is because of B-side Romero.

Well he's right.

Motherfuckers know they can miss weight and then just put the ball in the champ's court. If he declines everyone says he's a pussy.

Fighters would rather give up a small piece of their purse than go through hell cutting those last few pounds. The trend will continue. Punishments aren't harsh enough for missing weight.

He won 2 decisions against an overhyped bodybuilder with gas tank and striking range issues.

He did not fight Playboy-Wonderboy(Rockhold), Still-My-Wonderboy(Weidman) or against Military-Cardio-Bisping. 3 very large fighters in the division who make weight. Can at least attempt long range attacks for 2 or 3 rounds.

It's ironic because where he is now even in promotability is because of B-side Romero.

lol what the fuck are you going on about, buddeh?

Romero and Whittaker are legit.

That overhyped bodybuilder KOd two of the guys you are mentioning, wtf are you talking about?

Whaaaaaaaat?

Titles lost legitimacy a long time ago.

Only those riding the short bus think belts like the one Habib is wearing are thicker than toilet paper.

He's right. Fat asses like Romero rob him of a title defense even though he won. Similar to Anderson/Lutter.

It's funny how a professional fighter can give his insider perspective on a hot topic, take the time to explain why, and armchair warriors choose to call him out essentially as a cry baby or a pussy. What a crock of shit. And what's much worse, the so-called leadership of the largest MMA promotion in the world agrees with them. Most times I'm anti-labor union. Necessary in the beginning but a hindrance now. Well, this is the beginning of MMA. The fighters need bargaining power and neither the UFC nor casual fans gives a shit about them.

not sure which promotion does it, but a good start to tackling this weight cutting is to dock 1 point at the beginning of round 1 for the fighter who fails to make the weight cut.
Still dock them the purse too. 30% or even 40% if it's for the title.
But, mainly they go into the 1st round 10-9. this means the fighter could coast through the first round and make fatty failed weight cut opponent do all the work.

Back