1. Non Gif Shoop Contest v6 Round 2 is up! Vote Here»

Robert drysdale Body lock

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by comquest, Jun 25, 2008.

1. comquest Yellow Belt

Just wanted to find out about what other grapplers experience using this move or those who have been submitted by it. Personally I think its a kick ass move. The body lock is pretty new to me but already I submitted guys in a much quicker fashion using this versus other conventional subs. I think its a submission that presents itself more often than i.e armbar, triangle, and even the rear naked choke.

2. Newcastle Brown Belt

Are you referring to a body triangle?

3. Mumrik Silver Belt

I have no idea what you are talking about. "Body lock" is not a sufficient description.

4. CyberPunk Purple Belt

If I remember correctly, the OP might be referring to Drysdale's nth dimension dvd where he has a dude's back, but like upside down where his legs are wrapped around his midsection and his arms are near his opponent's legs.

5. Shemhazai Black Belt

6. Trickster*** Banned Banned

7. TacWar Green Belt

I don't like attacking the spine, granted I don't think this technique has a high risk of injury to the spine, but I'd rather not screw around with the spine.

I'm sure its effective if drysdale is showing it, but again I just don't like attacking the spine.

8. Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

Spinal locks are illegal in competition.

9. elcapitan Green Belt

pretty nasty sub

10. Trickster*** Banned Banned

I feel like in a tourney that a ref might think you are getting the choke from the triangle though....whatta think?

11. Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

i haven't been training because of my arm since I saw that video, but thanks for reminding me about it. I'm gonna play with it this week and I'll let you know

12. comquest Yellow Belt

Body lock is perfectly legal in no gi submission grappling. Strictly speaking BJJ with gi its questionable but like trickster mentioned unless the ref knows he could be tapping from the reverse triangle choke.

13. comquest Yellow Belt

People compare Bravo's rubber guard with Drysdale's rubber guard and which one is better etc.. Do you guys think Drysdale came up with the body lock in response to Bravo's twister? Similar moves in some way don't you think?

14. MokeGrappler Orange Belt

Where exactly is Robert Drysdale from cause hes got some weird accent at times but also sounds american as well.

15. JohanH Orange Belt

He was born in USA but moved to Brazil when he was a kid. Then he moved back to USA again.

16. Kyuktooki Blue Belt

If you watch the instructional he actually mentions that you can usually get the triangle from this position quite frequently (I have seen this move in Judo Newaza highlights). He actually introduces the body lock more as an alternative method to submit your opponent if the triangle isn't working. This is useful if you want to attack your opponent after a sprawl or from a front headlock position. In that sense, its nothing like the twister at all. Its more like making a position that most people thing of as kind of neutral into something dangerous. Then again, you also have the brabo from that position as he is also careful to point out. A lot of this series is about differrent ways to get the back. Some of his alternative positions are connected to this strategy in that it seems like when you can use these best when your opponent expects you to go to his back when he is in a turtle position. I feel like I am not explaining this right at all. Apologies if this doesn't make sense. I'll take another look at the instructional and see if I can explain it better.

17. comquest Yellow Belt

I have used the body lock from the sprawl position, transitioning from omoplata, the turtle postion instead of going for the RNC and from passing the guard and opponent goes for a single leg. There are many ways to set up that postion such as going for a foot lock and your opponent is in an inverted position. Yeah its great move because most people think the position is neutral as you mentioned but yet available to a submission.

18. Tony Manifold Brown Belt

The first time I learned a triangle, it was an attack against the turtle.

19. eastcoast25 White Belt

I..started..catchig..people..with..this..if..they..sprail..under..me....Works..great.
    sorry......keyoards..pouched

20. Gidselgrisen Green Belt