Robert Downey Jr. Teaming Up with True Detective Creator for HBO Drama

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Robert Downey Jr. Teaming Up with True Detective Creator for PERRY MASON on HBO

Robert-Downey-Jr-Perry-Mason-081516a-Dragonlord.jpg

Robert Downey Jr. may be on the list of feature stars turning (or in his case, returning) to the small screen.

The Iron Man star is teaming with True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto for a drama at HBO. Details about the project are being kept under wraps and it's unclear if there are any official deals as of yet, but Pizzolatto will pen the script and Downey will star.

Sources say the project may be based on Downey's long-gestating Perry Mason reboot, which rather than a Warner Bros. Pictures feature is now being eyed for the small screen with Downey's wife and producing partner, Susan Downey of Team Downey, set to exec produce with the actor.

Perry Mason is a fictional criminal defense lawyer who is the main character in works of detective fiction written by Erle Stanley Gardner. The character of Perry Mason was adapted for motion pictures and a long-running radio series. These were followed by its best-known adaptation, the CBS television series Perry Mason (1957–66) starring Raymond Burr. A second television series, The New Perry Mason starring Monte Markham, ran from 1973 to 1974; and 30 Perry Mason television films ran from 1985 to 1995, with Burr reprising the role of Mason in 26 of them prior to his death in 1993.

Robert Downey Jr. Teaming With 'True Detective' Creator Nic Pizzolatto for HBO Drama 'Perry Mason'

Wow, I guess Pizzolatto really shit the bed if there isn't going to be a third season of True Detective.

This is relevant to my interests

Not sure why it's necessary to keep the Perry Mason name. They'd get the same ratings giving it an original name and plus they wouldn't have to pay royalties or anything (unless there's something I don't know).

It just seems too gimicky to call it a Perry Mason reboot, even thought it'll most likely be totally different.

Excited to see it nonetheless.

Not sure why it's necessary to keep the Perry Mason name. They'd get the same ratings giving it an original name and plus they wouldn't have to pay royalties or anything (unless there's something I don't know).

It just seems too gimicky to call it a Perry Mason reboot, even thought it'll most likely be totally different.

Excited to see it nonetheless.

This. PM is so old school that it carries zero commercial weight.

Wow, I guess Pizzolatto really shit the bed if there isn't going to be a third season of True Detective.
Sometimes your worst self is your best self. Know what I'm sayin'?

Back