Robbie's success improves Nick Diaz' resume?

He had to do something, because he certainly didn't win enough fights to earn the shot.

Put down Daley who was ranked, beat down Penn who (I think?) was ranked, and had a highly contentious decision with Condit (not counting the win streak he was on).

Who else got a title shot coming off a narrow loss...

is it...

...oh, that's right! The current WW champion.

Past losses are irrelevant in Robbie's case, but very relevant in Conor Mgregor's.

Put down Daley who was ranked, beat down Penn who (I think?) was ranked, and had a highly contentious decision with Condit (not counting the win streak he was on).

Who else got a title shot coming off a narrow loss...

is it...

...oh, that's right! The current WW champion.

It was a narrow loss against the champion, you dont get a title shot for a clear loss (Condit clearly won that fight) against a guy that got dominated by the champ in his next fight.

Dem Diaz fans

It's a documented top 10 win, there's nothing to argue there. They both went downhill after the fact, Lawler moving to MW and struggling and Diaz dropping close decisions but it doesn't change where they were at in their careers when it happened.

If it's "documented" then show a link to prove it. His loss to Spratt who had a very mediocre record and was a huge underdog set Robbie back a ton in the standings.

Nick Diaz didn't beat this Robbie Lawler.

If it's "documented" then show a link to prove it. His loss to Spratt who had a very mediocre record and was a huge underdog set Robbie back a ton in the standings.

I can't see this documented anywhere either.

I can find records showing Nick as #10 at the end of 2003, Robbie doesn't appear to be ranked.

In May 2004, neither of them are ranked, which is the month after their fight.

If they fought today I think Robbie would beat him. He might even KO him.

It was a narrow loss against the champion, you dont get a title shot for a clear loss (Condit clearly won that fight) against a guy that got dominated by the champ in his next fight.

Dem Diaz fans

It was regarded as a narrow loss and debatable decision by many in the MMA world, and few think it was a clear win for anyone. Did you not internet after that fight?

The Robbie Lawler of 2014 is not the brash young man who ran face-first into Diaz's right hook.

Diaz has 4 top 10 wins I can think of off the top of my head, he also beat the #1 LW in the world before it was changed to a NC so that's 5.

Lawler's skill level was always there Lawler was already an accomplished well rounded top 10 WW) then I don't know what to tell you.

were you trying to make some kind of point here? Lol.

Diaz's 4 top10 wins- bj penn(never belonged at ww,actually had to be FAT to compete in weightclass, next fights @145lbs...are you impressed with that?
---What about marious zaromkis? You dunno who he is...he was ranked in the top10 for winning the DREAM ww tourney beating OLD saku(by doc stoppage) and OLD sakurai....fights in bellator now
dudes 6-5-1 in his last 12 fights(3 of those losses were by KO).....you impressed??
---Paul daley?? I'll agree , that win was hella impressive
---and then lawler......yeah lawler had a total of NINE FIGHTS when they fought...he was NEITHER PROVEN nor EXPERIENCED...not that "impressive
---citing gomi a LW and using him to validate how successful a fighter who HAS TO CUT LBS to MAKE WW is just comical to me..by the way when all is said and done record books say NC

Lawler was neither accomplished(he had only NINE FIGHTS when they first fought) nor was he "well rounded" dude was a high school wrestler with some power in his hands who was more known for his physical strength and poor fight iq than ANYTHING ELSE(go back and watch the fight and tell me I'm wrong....lawlers a lot different now)

Yes his point was DIAZ is irrealevant and while he does nothing...wins NO fights.....gets paid NOTHING....lawler marches forward continues to WIN...collects bigger and BIGGER paydays and push nick diaz further and further into obscurity.......pretty soon diaz is gonna be the answer to a trivia question( in 2004 what MINOR mma fighter scored an upset win over favored Robbie lawler??)

Diaz's 4 top10 wins- bj penn(never belonged at ww,actually had to be FAT to compete in weightclass, next fights @145lbs...are you impressed with that?
---What about marious zaromkis? You dunno who he is...he was ranked in the top10 for winning the DREAM ww tourney beating OLD saku(by doc stoppage) and OLD sakurai....fights in bellator now
dudes 6-5-1 in his last 12 fights(3 of those losses were by KO).....you impressed??
---Paul daley?? I'll agree , that win was hella impressive
---and then lawler......yeah lawler had a total of NINE FIGHTS when they fought...he was NEITHER PROVEN nor EXPERIENCED...not that "impressive
---citing gomi a LW and using him to validate how successful a fighter who HAS TO CUT LBS to MAKE WW is just comical to me..by the way when all is said and done record books say NC

Lawler was neither accomplished(he had only NINE FIGHTS when they first fought) nor was he "well rounded" dude was a high school wrestler with some power in his hands who was more known for his physical strength and poor fight iq than ANYTHING ELSE(go back and watch the fight and tell me I'm wrong....lawlers a lot different now)

Yes his point was DIAZ is irrealevant and while he does nothing...wins NO fights.....gets paid NOTHING....lawler marches forward continues to WIN...collects bigger and BIGGER paydays and push nick diaz further and further into obscurity.......pretty soon diaz is gonna be the answer to a trivia question( in 2004 what MINOR mma fighter scored an upset win over favored Robbie lawler??)

Lawler wasn't ranked when they fought.

To be fair Nick was ranked #10 at the time and probably was the favorite.

Last edited:
Back