Robbie Lawler vs. Luke Rockhold

Both guys have plenty of competition at their respective weight classes. Luke only just won the belt. Lawler is only just barely beating people in his own weight class.

Robbie was getting stomped at MW and Luke is a HW masquerading as a MW, Robbie would get mauled.
Lawler just lost and sold his soul to the devil to keep the belt.

rockhold just got the title and i dont even think hell defend it

Oh, you remember ~those~ rankings...

What about these...?

full

- Dec 17, 2008
List of voters - WAMMA Ranking Committee:
Sam Caplan, Oliver Copp, Todd Martin, Alex Marvez, Mauro Ranallo, Benjamin Baroukh-Ebstein, Dann Stupp, Mike Sawyer, Adam Morgan, Ben Fowlkes, Steve Sievert, Denny Burkholder, Jose Rodriguez, Ron Kruck, Ariel Helwani, George Garcia, John Pollock, Jesse Holland, Caleb Newby, Jared Barnes, Mark Chalifoux, Andrew Falzon, Jeremy Botter, David Andrest​

1 - Anderson Silva
2 - Robbie Lawler
3 - Dan Henderson
4 - Yushin Okami
5 - Nathan Marquardt
6 - Gegard Mousasi
7 - Matt Lindland
8 - Kazuo Misaki
9 - Paulo Filho
10 - Michael Bisping
Also Receiving Votes: Demian Maia, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Thales Leites, Jorge Santiago, Chael Sonnen, Frank Trigg, Wilson Gouveia

full

- Dec 2, 2008

The Middleweights

1. Anderson Silva
2. Robbie Lawler
3. Yushin Okami
4. Nate Marquardt
5. Gegard Mousasi
6. Matt Lindland
7. Dan Henderson
8. Thales Leites
9. Demian Maia
10. Michael Bisping
Also receiving votes: Rich Franklin, Paulo Filho, Kazuo Masaki, Frank Trigg, Chael Sonnen, Chris Leben, Patrick Cote

full

- Jan 6, 2009

Middleweight
Anderson Silva (Brazil)
2. Robbie Lawler (U.S.)
3. Yushin Okami (Japan)
4. Gegard Mousasi (Holland)
5. Dan Henderson (U.S.)
6. Thales Leites (Brazil)
7. Nate Marquardt (U.S.)
8. Matt Lindland (U.S.)
9. Jorge Santiago (Brazil)
10. Frank Trigg (U.S.)
Others receiving consideration: Chael Sonnen, Yoshiro Akiyama, Demian Maia, Paulo Filho

full

- Dec 30, 2008

1. Anderson Silva (23-4)
2. Rich Franklin (24-3, 1 NC)
3. Robbie Lawler (16-4, 1 NC)
4. Yushin Okami (23-4)
5. Gegard Mousasi (24-2-1)
6. Nate Marquardt (27-8-2)
7. Dan Henderson (23-7)
8. Thales Leites (14-1)
9. Jorge Santiago (20-7)
10. Chael Sonnen (21-9-1)

full

- MAY 2009

1: Anderson Silva
2: Yushin Okami
3: Robbie Lawler
4: Dan Henderson
5: Nathan Marquardt
6: Demian Maia
7: Thales Leites
8: Chael Sonnen
9: Jorge Santiago
10: Vitor Belfort
Notable: K. Misaki

full

- Feb 19, 2009

MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION (185 LBS.)
1.Anderson Silva
Yushin Okami
3. Robbie Lawler
4. Nate Marquardt
5. Jorge Santiago
6. Dan Henderson
7. Gegard Mousasi
8. Vitor Belfort
9.Chael Sonnen
Demian Maia

What's your point? I'm saying the rankings made no sense. As one poster pointed out earlier, his only top win at MW was Frank Trigg. It's a strange scenario whereby beating someone ranked #8 or #9 puts you at #2 or #3.

It was still a stretch because Trigg was a fringe top 10 MW at that stage. Maybe ranked number 9.
Trigg beat the #2-#3 guy .. he was probably top 5. Trigg was still top 10 after losing to Lawler.

It was a different era back then, easier to move up the rankings imo.

Well, Luke has been champ for all of two months and most people thought Lawler lost to Condit and are picking WB to beat him as well. If Lawler had been dominating there'd probably be some talk about it.

I remember those rankings and they never made sense because Robbie had a sum total of zero top ten wins at MW.
Oh, and BTW... that's not even true.

What's your point? I'm saying the rankings made no sense. As one poster pointed out earlier, his only top win at MW was Frank Trigg. It's a strange scenario whereby beating someone ranked #8 or #9 puts you at #2 or #3.

You seemed to suggest that "those" rankings in particular were somehow "off"... so posting a whole bunch of other Rankings of the time, which also regarded Robbie Lawler as a Top MW would counter that supposition/allegation.

Edit:
Another BTW, that kind of thing happens all the time.

Everthing is relative.

Oh, and BTW... that's not even true.

You seemed to suggest that "those" rankings in particular were somehow "off"... so posting a whole bunch of other Rankings of the time, which also regarded Robbie Lawler as a Top MW would counter that supposition/allegation.

I'm merely pointing out that he wasn't a #2 MW [Irrespective of rankings] nor were his results reflective of a number 2 MW. How do you beat someone ranked barely in the top ten and become #2?

This isn't a knock on Robbie, it's just being realistic. He's ranked above guys with far superior wins. The numbers just don't add up.

Let me check...
He was about ~30, beat a guy ranked ~50 .. jumped to ~20 .. beat Trigg and jumped to ~5.

Trigg was ranked ~30 at WW .. beat one Misaki and jumped to ~5 at MW with that one win. I don't think Trigg was even ranked at MW before that.

Let me check...
jqqicg.jpg

It was definitely the Trigg fight. Lawler came in from #30 something to #16 to #4… It was a perfect storm:

11ux1fc.jpg

Trigg was barely top 20, beat Misaki, became top 10 which allowed Lawler to become top 10 also… BUT… Still doesn't explain why beating Trigg makes you #4 [Or higher in some rankings].

Trigg wasn't a top 10 MW until he beat Misaki a month or so earlier… So in a few months Trigg went from #17 to top ten, which allowed Robbie to jump to #4 [Or even #2 in some rankings…]
Trigg was top 10 after the Lawler loss, which means he was probably top 5 prior to it, after the Misaki win.

Lawler jumped high because Trigg beat Misaki .. it's one of those really weird things that happened more often back then.

You do have to admit he jumped from ~20 to ~5 in one fight though.
Let me check...

He didn't.
Lawler became Consensus #8 after the win over Frank Trigg.

2004 - OCT - First MW fight, lost to Consensus Top 3 Evan Tanner
---> received votes in one Ranking Org, #20 MW
2005 - JUL - Beat top 25 ranked Falaniko Vitale
2006 - SEP - Lost top 15 Jason Miller
2007 - MAR - Beat Consensus Top 8 Frank Trigg
---> became Consensus Top 8
2007 - SEP - Beat Ninja Rua (EliteXC MW Title)
--- became Consensus Top 6
2008 - JUL - Beat Scott Smith (EliteXC MW Title)
---> became Consensus Top 4/5

And before Lawler lost to Shields in 2009, other MWs were dropping offf... Paulo Filho had lost, Rich Franklin was up at LHW.... so on some Rankings Org, Lalwer had climbed to Top 2/3 in the world at MW.

Last edited:
Robbie has his hands full at WW, he's eeked past his last two opponents and there's a few guys he wouldn't even be a particularly big favourite over. He needs a few dominant wins before superfight talk.

LUKE is just way too big of a MW. Where as Robbie is just an average sized WW. There would be a huge size disadvantage. BUT I wouldn't count Robbie out in any fight. Even against bigger stronger fighters.

Back