Robbie Lawler: If they scored damage, I'd be champion

The scoring or criteria has nothing to do with crappy judges overvaluing a takedown toward the end of a round. Using the system in place you can give it the weight it deserves. There is nothing in the criteria that would truly lead to judges giving takedowns so much weight. Even with things like "Octagon/Cage Control, it's not there. Control is a secondary criteria that is to be weighed less than the more important ones. It's used to help create a broader picture of the fight and it means much more than simply taking your opponent down and doing very little with it. Shit, a fighter can be displaying octagon control and generalship from the bottom.

This is a problem with the judges. And no, it's not the system hampering them. Lol. It's actually a ridiculous thought with many of the decisions. It's simply bad judging. Those very same judges would still be overvaluing things like takedowns in any other system.

Of course there is. Effective grappling includes that. You even posted a link that explains that, and that also shows that it's now as important as striking (striking was weighted higher than grappling before) There is the list of rules but there's more than that to learning how to judge and they of course discuss and teach that. That's why a guy like Herb Dean says that not even any fighter knows exactly how the rules work, so it's pretty funny when some fans think they know everything there is to know.

That's not saying that there isn't a problem with judges though. The complexity and discussion about how to weigh things are part of that. Unfortunately we can probably only get a lower margin of error since there's yet to be a system where there hasn't been plenty of criticism towards the judges.

Last edited:
OP said:
“I did the most damage in that fight, but I lost. He did a good job in winning enough rounds I guess. It’s not PRIDE. They don’t score damage in the UFC. If they did, I would be the champ today. Now I just have to work my way back, but I’m not thinking about Hendricks anymore. I’m thinking about Jake,” he said.

I swear I've heard this again....

GSP vs Hendricks ?

for me, if we are going to not follow the unified rules then we follow the street rules
by that logic the person who is having the upper hand when the fight is broken up (rounds finish) has to be considered the victor, both GSP and Johnny won the last lap, the last interval of the fight, so going by "street rules" GSP and Jonny won.

Of course there is. Effective grappling includes that. You even posted a link that explains that, and that also shows that it's now as important as striking (striking was weighted higher than grappling before) There is the list of rules but there's more than that to learning how to judge and they of course discuss and teach that. That's why a guy like Herb Dean says that not even any fighter knows exactly how the rules work, so it's pretty funny when some fans think they know everything there is to know.

That's not saying that there isn't a problem with judges though. The complexity and discussion about how to weigh things are part of that. Unfortunately we can probably only get a lower margin of error since there's yet to be a system where there hasn't been plenty of criticism towards the judges.

No there is not. We're talking about overvaluing something. Of course a takedown is part of effective grappling. Just as a single jab or single minor leg kick are part of effective striking. But there is nothing in the rules that would lead anyone to legitimately place an exaggerated value on any one.

Of course it's all part of picture that has to be looked at when judging. People complain and blame the rules because it seems to be takedowns that stand out as the one that gets completely overvalued in that picture.

Remove the 10 point must system, you'll see alot more happy fans and fighters.

Same way gsp best jh. Won the rounds but lost on damage.

Is Lawler american? Man, stop with the excuses.

Damage isn't criteria because there's more subjectivity to it than other criteria

It is a rougher measurement perhaps, but hardly impossible to judge. When a man is staggering around the ring after being punched in the head a few times, it is easy to guess he has been hurt. When he later notes he cannot remember the fight, it shows that guess was spot on.

I love that point in the fight where Hendricks is punching Robbie in the face while Robbie has the biggest smile you'll ever see out of him. It wasn't like a taunting or a "you got me good there" kind of smile. He was genuinely having a blast in there while getting punched in the face by one of the most powerful guys at WW.

Dude is awesome.

I definitely agree with him. Hopefully he gets back to the title. He almost looked like he was having too much fun fighting Hendricks and didn't take it serious enough toward the later rounds.

Well I think touchdown catches of 20yds or more should be worth 10pts......
And fast break dunks should be worth 4pts.......

......To fcking bad they aren't!!

...Every fighter knows what the judging criteria is- effective striking/effective grappling / cage control/ aggression
....Every fighter KNOWS that they are judged ROUND by ROUND
.....Spouting dumb shit like"well if the fight was judged as a whole" and "if they scored damage" is akin to saying "if the ref gave us 2 goals for the bicycle kick instead of 1 we would have won" or " my two hand windmill dunk should have counted for 4 pts, all the other guy did was score layups"

.....Everyones aware of the rules, judging criteria
....Psssst next time maybe when you have your opp hurt(like hendricks was in 3rd) YOU GO for the finish
......Next time when you know you're in a close fight going into the 5th you make DAMN SURE you win the 5TH

....Bitching and moaning about fights being scored round by round....or the judging criteria DOES NOTHING but take away from the fighters who are successful within the rule set

I think legkicks are LAME, if they weren't allowed frankie edgar would be featherweight champ.....
Weightcutting is cheating everyone should have to weigh in 30 mins before the fight, mark bocek would be welterweight champ!!

I think there should be a lot more draws in MMA. Close fights are just that, close. Arguably Hendricks-GSP and Hendricks-Lawlor and Jones-Gus should all be draws (I think Hendricks won against GSP, Lawlor against Hendricks, Gus against Jones), but all were so close they should have been draws in reality.

Back