News Road to UFC Tournaments June 9-10

So we got an official list of the tournament participants

Just to predict who I think wins.

Fly - I fancy Horiuchi to win this, most of his losses were extremely close decisions to high level guys like Charles Johnson.

BW - I'll go with Rinya, not the most experienced but that wrestling pedigree will carry him through imo.

FW - Probably the toughest division, some good fighters in this one, but I'll go with Lee.

LW - Fancy Red Horse to win this one, he's a very good grappler.

Wait so how does this tournament work outside of June 9/10?

Interesting, so it's a tournament to win a UFC contract but you will be fighting on UFC cards.....

I get the impression it's like pre prelims. So sort of part of the card but not really. Probably won't get to wear UFC gear etc.

Makes me wonder if there will be more non-tournament bouts on the line. People mentioned Yusaku Kinoshita possibly fighting but I don't see him mentioned at all sadly. I also heard Tatsuya Ando would be in the touney as well but I guess that would've been too many Japanese fighters in the bantamweight brackets.

Makes me wonder if there will be more non-tournament bouts on the line. People mentioned Yusaku Kinoshita possibly fighting but I don't see him mentioned at all sadly. I also heard Tatsuya Ando would be in the touney as well but I guess that would've been too many Japanese fighters in the bantamweight brackets.
So all the bouts have been announced. In regards to non-tournament ones, there is one each episode, so 4 in total.

Zhang Mingyang vs Tuco Tokkos
Shaun Etchell vs Takeru Uchida
YeDam Seo vs Josefine Knuttson
John Adajar vs HanSeul Kim

Uchida is good but he is so young and raw. I think getting into the UFC now is too early

I listen to the Let's Talk JMMA podcast and one of the hosts is Kinoshita's agent (who also represents alot of Japanese fighters), Shu Hirata, and he said he was gonna compete on Road to UFC, so I guess he got injured

I was wondering if Shu would recommend getting Makoto Shinryu Takahashi into one of those events to fight a non-Asian fighter before 2022 Bellator Japan. He has only fought Japanese fighters so far and they're not relatively as big as other flyweights. I figure that Shu would want to showcase against bigger foreign guys like Rilley Dutro (who I think Shu or someone in his company also manages) or UFC vet Bruno Mesquita. Guys that have okay records but would provide a challenge to see where Makoto is at with the level of competition that they faced and their size. I was also thinking of Eric Shelton, but he might be too much for Makoto at this point.

Back