Road to Awesome

Ethan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I'm Ethan. I have a log in S and C, but it's time to be more serious about diet. Right now, I'm making a handful of adjustments, once those are super consistent I'll start being more scientific.

General stats:

-21 years old
-5'8"
-178-185lbs, way too much BF. I'd guess 20.
-Judo player
-I like to lift

Goals:

-Get super consistent with this very basic plan
-Continue to get strong
-Become super sexy
-Eventually, I'd like to have 12% BF and stay around 175-180lbs. This will require more specialized diet, but for now, here's my basic plan.

AM: Two eggs, 4 strips of bacon, 16oz. water, black coffee

Noon: Chicken or beef, with a salad. I use those natural spring mix things. Kill a big tub in 3 days.

PM pre workout: Protein shake. This is around 3:30 on lifting days and around 5:15 on judo days.

Night: Loosest meal of the day. Usually the only time I eat non-veggie carbs, and it's usually from sweet potatoes, etc. Last night was roast beef, baked potatoes, carrots, cabbage.

I think this is a good start but I'm happy to receive input.

Morning

-2 eggs
-3 strips of bacon
-16oz water
-Small coffee

Noon

-Chicken breast
-Big handful of mixed green salad
-Handful of Almonds

Pre Training

-6oz Water
-Protein drink with milk and instant coffee

Post Training

-Guacamole and some pita chips

Notes: fuck. I was starving. At least it's avocados and stuff.

Night

-Chicken salad with quinoa and fruit and stuff.

Last edited:
AM

-Egg fritada thing I made last night. I think it's a better choice. Easier to digest anyway.
-16oz water.
-Black Coffee

10 AM

-Black Coffee.

Note: work provides coffee and muffins and fruit one day a week. I try and avoid eating any of that stuff.

Noon

-Chicken quinoa salad, a lot
-6oz milk
-12oz water

Pre Judo

-Protein shake

Night

-2 burgers, with bacon and cheese. Right after training Judo. They were good too.

Note: I do light oly practice at around 15:30 on Tues and Thurs but I don't eat beforehand cause it's light.

Last edited:
Since we started out together, I am quite interested in your progress. Good luck, I will chip in from time to time.

Also was a Judoka when I was a kid ).

Thanks dude!

I started Judo too late to ever be really high level, but I have fun and I've won a couple medals so that's all I can really ask for. Hoping my game comes together a bit more soon.

Morning

-Slept in, skipped breakfast, almost starved. Hate being hungry at work.

Noon

-16oz water
-Chicken quinoa salad
-Guacamole

Pre Training

-Protein drink, just chocolate milk and powder

Night

-Fish tacos. Lots of vegetables and stuff, but the fish was fried so probably not such a great meal choice. Tasty though.

Last edited:
Competing early April now. Don't give a shit about weight class. Only going because the host club has a bunch of senior fighters, and senior fighters are hard to come by. Hoping to get 5-6 matches out of it with reasonably sized guys.

Glad to have you on board, brah

Thanks golvmopp. I need to stop being fat.

Weight this morning: 182.5lbs. This is down around 3lbs from 2 weeks ago. I definitely feel better too.

Morning

-Egg fritada thing
-12oz water
-Black coffee

Noon

-Chicken quinoa salad

PM, Around 14:00

-Black coffee
-Protein bar

Pre-Training

-Protein shake
-Ton of water, close to 20oz

Night

-Fish Taco
-Biggest pork chop I've ever seen.

I'm still eating the pork chop. Holy fuck its good.

Last edited:
Weight this morning: 182.6lbs

Morning

-8oz Water
-Egg fritada
-Black coffee

Noon

-Pulled Pork sandwich (cheat meal at a restaurant)
-16oz water

Pre training

-Protein Bar
-Black Coffee

Night

-Pad Thai. Holy fuck, worth it. So good.

Last edited:
Good stuff, Ethan. Good luck with not being fat, I know how that's like.

Weight this morning:

Morning

-Slept in, skipped breakfast

Noon

-2 eggs
-2 pieces of back bacon

Night

-All of the Chinese food.

Not a good day for clean eating.

Last edited:
Er, now I feel like a twat. I did some basic math.

My caloric output on Monday, Wednesday and Friday is around 805kcal from lifting at a guess. Consuming 2154 calories daily or thereabouts so that's around a 1400kcal surplus.

Tuesday and Thursday, I'm estimating that I'm killing around 1900kcals doing Judo, which puts me at a 137kcal surplus.

Anyone want to give me some input on these numbers?

That was confusing.

You are also missing the calories that you body burns at rest during the day, without exercise, or BMR. That will be around 2000k for your size - check calculators.

Its very very unlikely you are burning so much from doing weights or Judo, unless you absolutely killing yourself in the gym.

BMR is not TDEE. If anything, you need to multiply your BMR with 1.2 - this equals an ordinary "sitting on your ass at home and doing minor chores and errands"-expenditure. Then, on top of that number, you add the calories burned from exercise. For example me, on a regular day when I bike to school and lift weights: BMR (2226)*1.2= 2650-ish + bike ride to campus both ways (370) = 3020 + two hours of weightlifting ~750 = 3770kcal in one day.

There isnt a chance in fuck that you eating 2150 kcal puts you at a 1400kcal surplus, even if you were in a coma. Back to the drawing board and crunch numbers!

I didn't even consider BMR.

So...add BMR to add calories burned, subtract expenditure, and that should give me a better idea?

This nutrition thing is confusing and the research is so dry and boring.

Alright.

BMR is 1907.96 according to a calculator I found online. Multiply that by 1.2, and it's 2289.

That puts me slightly behind BMR, not accounting for any training at all.

Upon further research/reflection, Judo seems to account for roughly 1400kcals expended and lifting around 700.

Last edited:
Fuuuuck this is confusing. Going to log everything I eat for at least 2 weeks and see what happens. Using the "myfitnesspal" thing

Alright.

BMR is 1907.96 according to a calculator I found online. Multiply that by 1.2, and it's 2289.

That puts me slightly behind BMR, not accounting for any training at all.

Upon further research/reflection, Judo seems to account for roughly 1400kcals expended and lifting around 700.

Now you're on the right track. Numbers I found for lifting vary from 300kcal/hr for "low to medium" intensity to double that for high intensity.... whatevrr that means.

Back