Road to ADCC

So is Gordon truly retired? I know he had gastroparesis, but man, part of me thought it was only a temporary thing or quickly publicity. I mean, he signed with One, right? I haven’t been keeping up…
As far as I heard last from John on I believe the Lex Freedmin podcast he is undergoing a treatment that is supposed to be like 3 months and hes a few weeks in. Apparently it's working because he's putting on weight again and looking thick, solid, tight.
I'm hopeful that him being so young that they can fix the issue and he will be back before the end of the year but thats just a hopeful fan.

Diniz put Hulk to sleep last night - like a last second choke but lost on points because the time expired as hulk was going out.

Diniz needs to see a sport Psychologist or something - he does seem to choke when his time to shine comes.

https://www.flograppling.com/video/...rbosa-goes-to-sleep-but-wins-vs-matheus-diniz
Can't find a youtube clip of anyone even talking about.

Diniz has seen a sports psychologist. He's talked about it. Hopefully he'll keep working, mindset shifts are not easy. I notice his pattern seems to be taking a couple of L's to one guy before "figuring him out"??? And then beating him (Craig Jones and Josh Hinger). I don't really know, though, the full story.

Diniz has seen a sports psychologist. He's talked about it. Hopefully he'll keep working, mindset shifts are not easy. I notice his pattern seems to be taking a couple of L's to one guy before "figuring him out"??? And then beating him (Craig Jones and Josh Hinger). I don't really know, though, the full story.
Maybe too nice?

I was thinking about it last night on the drive out to my parents - keeping an eye on them during this heat wave - and I came to the conclusion that he'd never take up mma because he seems too nice; like you don't sense that aura of "I can be a prick at any moment" like you do with others.

Maybe too nice?

I was thinking about it last night on the drive out to my parents - keeping an eye on them during this heat wave - and I came to the conclusion that he'd never take up mma because he seems too nice; like you don't sense that aura of "I can be a prick at any moment" like you do with others.

I can see that being the issue for MMA, and he is indeed a super sweet guy! But no one ever accused Marcelo of being mean and he didn't choke in BJJ matches.

I think perhaps Diniz just needs more self confidence or something. Maybe his is just being humble, but from what I've seen he seems like he has some self doubt. In his Match vs Hulk he didn't do anything until the very end of the match when he was about to lose. That last minute he actually tried to wrestle and ended up catching Hulk and choking him out. I think he could have done that at any time, but he wanted to play it safe for some reason.

I can see that being the issue for MMA, and he is indeed a super sweet guy! But no one ever accused Marcelo of being mean and he didn't choke in BJJ matches.
I cannot recall but did Marcelo come from really poor background? I know he left family to move to Alliance and that alone will breed a do or die mentality.

What is Diniz's background?

Anyhow, here is a clip (and along ass discussion about it) of the choke and it seemed like, as others have said, Diniz made it look easy when he actually got aggressive and locked in.

Timestamped clip (if you don't want to watch through 3 1/2 minutes of talk):

I cannot recall but did Marcelo come from really poor background? I know he left family to move to Alliance and that alone will breed a do or die mentality.

What is Diniz's background?

Anyhow, here is a clip (and along ass discussion about it) of the choke and it seemed like, as others have said, Diniz made it look easy when he actually got aggressive and locked in.

Timestamped clip (if you don't want to watch through 3 1/2 minutes of talk):

Diniz comes from the same town as Marcelo. It's one of those things often cited when they tall about what a legacy he is... I've also heard he was kind of a hoodlum/troublemaker before finding BJJ. Which is crazy because he's definitely changed since then.

Kaynan looked incredible last night. Made it look easy. Mikey also getting riled up was interesting to see. What are some of y'alls take aways from last night?

I thought all the matches were pretty good. Kaynan looked great and he seems to have really worked on his no-gi skills. Roberto and Kade was a great match with tons of back and forth and a finish. Roberto and Kade should both get invited to ADCC. Roberto won and Kade looked good against someone 2 weight classes up and on shirt notice. Nicky Ryan looked really good and seems to have improved his wrestling a lot. I hope his knee is OK. Ana Carolina surprised me and proved she can be a force in ADCC. Geo and Mikey was fun, but I didn't understand what Geo was doing. I don't know why he hates Mikey and wanted to play mind games with him. He lost the match and lost fans. I'm excited to see Mikey in ADCC though.

I thought all the matches were pretty good. Kaynan looked great and he seems to have really worked on his no-gi skills. Roberto and Kade was a great match with tons of back and forth and a finish. Roberto and Kade should both get invited to ADCC. Roberto won and Kade looked good against someone 2 weight classes up and on shirt notice. Nicky Ryan looked really good and seems to have improved his wrestling a lot. I hope his knee is OK. Ana Carolina surprised me and proved she can be a force in ADCC. Geo and Mikey was fun, but I didn't understand what Geo was doing. I don't know why he hates Mikey and wanted to play mind games with him. He lost the match and lost fans. I'm excited to see Mikey in ADCC though.
Couldn't agree more.

Really hope that Roberto and Kade get invites. I mean they have invited some less than stellar guys recently so I hope that these two get to the show.

I had to eat some crow, I did not see Carolina winning at all figured Clay would run through her, pleasant surprise.

I think it makes sense that Geo stayed in the leg entanglements he stood in Mikeys guard for like a second and Mikey was already in on the matrix attack to get the back.

I really wish we could see a Kaynan Gordon rematch.

Couldn't agree more.

Really hope that Roberto and Kade get invites. I mean they have invited some less than stellar guys recently so I hope that these two get to the show.

I had to eat some crow, I did not see Carolina winning at all figured Clay would run through her, pleasant surprise.

I think it makes sense that Geo stayed in the leg entanglements he stood in Mikeys guard for like a second and Mikey was already in on the matrix attack to get the back.

I really wish we could see a Kaynan Gordon rematch.

all matches were great
Kaynan vs Gordon rematch is uncalled for. Since their first match, Kaynan has shown nothing that helps him defeat Gordon, especially that horrendous heel hook he tapped to from Cyborg

Man that event went way different than I thought it would lol.
That Geo/Mikey beef is really weird.

Man that event went way different than I thought it would lol.
That Geo/Mikey beef is really weird.
Ya I don't get why Mikey was so fired up. I swear he has autism and just doesn't understand some of the nuances of competition.

Ya I don't get why Mikey was so fired up. I swear he has autism and just doesn't understand some of the nuances of competition.

Geo was acting just as weird, like he’s saying Mikey is fake because he can speak Portuguese. Wtf?

Geo was acting just as weird, like he’s saying Mikey is fake because he can speak Portuguese. Wtf?
Very true, it was just so odd after such a fun technical match. I'll be honest I wrote Geo off and figured Mikey would sub him easily. So the fact he made it to the end was impressive. Some of those heel hooks looked close.

In an interview days later in his gym he claimed he was angry that Geo injured his finger doing some finger interlocking bullshit.

In an interview days later in his gym he claimed he was angry that Geo injured his finger doing some finger interlocking bullshit.
Still, that kind of shit happens all the time. You get someone that grabs a finger to break a grip. Sure it's illegal but people do it. I would assumer Mikey has dealt with that before. I guess from his reaction he hasn't. Still it was just weird and kind of cringy how both of them acted.

Can we talk about Ana Carolina vs. Lis Clay, though? That honestly changed my opinion about what might happen at ADCC. I wasn't that familiar with Ana Carolina's nogi game and it was hugely inspiring to me--I love it when people can shut down the leg lock/guard game, as it seems rare to be able to do so these days.

Can we talk about Ana Carolina vs. Lis Clay, though? That honestly changed my opinion about what might happen at ADCC. I wasn't that familiar with Ana Carolina's nogi game and it was hugely inspiring to me--I love it when people can shut down the leg lock/guard game, as it seems rare to be able to do so these days.
This one was a big shot to me. I thought Clay would blow through her and she brought it. I love when we see upsets like that and divisions seem more open. Be interesting to see how Clay adjusts before the next ADCC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back