1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Roach speaks on Mayweather Margarito Bradley and more!

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by BLITZD, Jul 24, 2010.

1. BLITZD

BLITZD Brown Belt

July 24th, 2010
    Brad Cooney

8CountNews sat down with boxing's number one trainer, Freddie Roach and got his thoughts on a wide array of topics. Roach talks about Floyd Mayweather, Antonio Margarito Amir Khan, and Timothy Bradley. Roach also informs 8CN that the Margarito fight is not a done deal right now. Freddie isn't impressed at all with Timothy Bradley's latest performance, and calls Bradley's calling out of Pacquiao a "joke", a 1st round knockout prediction for Pacquiao if that fight were ever to happen. Freddie shares his thoughts on Bernabe Concepcion, and goes to bat for tranier Buboy Fernandez. Roach also talks about the Juan Diaz Vs. Juan Manuel Marquez rematch, and much more!

8CN - Freddie, thanks for joining 8CountNews, welcome on board.

FR - Thank you, how are you doing?

8CN - Doing good. Freddie, if Manny ends up fighting Margarito what do you think happens?

FR - Well they are negotiating the fight right now. There are no contracts signed right now. Again, where is the fight going to be? Is he going to be licensed in America? Will Nevada do it? Will California do it? Will the fight be in Mexico? All of these things are up in the air right now. It seems like everything fell apart with Mayweather because he says nobody negotiated with him. I guess he doesn't want to fight, but that's OK, we will move on. There are options out there for us. Marquez is talking about wanting us a rematch, we will see what happens.

8CN - What about Timothy Bradley?

FR - Timothy Bradley looked like a bum! He is a good 140lb fighter though. I would like to match him up with Amir Khan. Amir would destroy him, but Manny Pacquiao would knockout Bradley in one round. Bradley had an ordinary guy in front of him the other night, and he wasn't able to do anything with him. I was a little disappointed in the commentary in that fight, there was no action in that fight. Timothy Bradley Vs. Manny Pacquiao? A joke, not even in the same class.

8CN - Does Margarito deserve a shot at Pacquiao after being caught cheating?

FR - Well the issue is when he fought Cotto, was he loaded or not? We can assume that he was, but it can't be proved. There is a lot of speculation, but he did get caught trying to get away with it with Shane. You know? It's like the good guy Vs. the bad guy. It's probably a marketable fight, and Manny beats up another Mexican. I have no problem with the fight. Margarito is a tough guy, but his ring generalship is poor. Manny will knock him out, we will knock him out. Margarito has a good chin, but a good punch? We don't know. Let him wrap his own hands, and he's got a good punch (laughs)

8CN - OK, so let's talk training camp. When will Manny start training for whoever he is going to fight next?

FR - Chavez Jr fights in Mexico on Sept, 11th. On the 12th, I am going to the Philippines for a month. The first month of Manny's camp will be in the PI, and the second half of the camp it will be at the Wild Card Gym.

8CN - What do you for-see as some big differences in camp since Manny has been elected to Congress?

FR - I don't see much changing. We will be in Manila for training so he can be close to work after he trains. I don't see much changing other than that whatsoever.

8CN - Let's talk Chavez Jr. Is he better than you thought?

FR - He is much better than I thought. He doesn't complain, he did everything that I asked him to do. I think he has a bright future ahead of him. In a few more fights I would like to see him in there against a guy like Cotto. I want to see how he looks in his next few fights.

8CN - Bernabe Concepcion got blown out by Juan Manuel Lopez. Do you think he was rushed into that fight?

FR - Well Concepcion is a good kid, but he is a little bit lazy. He relies on his power too much. He just wasn't ready for that fight, and there are a lot people that are getting on Buboy and Koncz about it. He probably didn't belong in that fight. They probably should have matched him up with one of the smaller champions, like Luevano or someone like that. Juan Manuel Lopez is probably going to be the next pound for pound king in the future, so I don't want to be too hard on Bernabe. He had his moments in the fight, he lost to one of the best fighters in the world today, he was just out gunned.

8CN - Ana Julaton just won her 3rd world title. Talk about her performance.

FR - She did well. I would like to fight that same girl one more time because I think she can do better. She is getting better and better, and we are looking forward to her next fight.

8CN - Jamie Kavanagh, your young Irish prospect recently signed with Golden Boy. Talk about his future.

FR - He is a good prospect. He's a good fighter, but needs to work on that defense a little bit. He drops his left hand some and gets hit with a counter right. He has good ring generalship, he's a good looking young prospect.

8CN - What's the latest with Vanes Martirosyan?

FR - I want the Cotto fight for him. Why not? He's 28-0 he doesn't need to be babied. People think I am crazy, but I think Vanes can beat Cotto. When you're 28-0 you should be ready for anyone in the world. I told Top Rank to stop babying this kid. Vanes is calling out these guys, and he thinks he can beat Paul Williams, so let's take one of these guys. I am all for it. I told Top Rank that it's time to put up.

8CN - Juan Diaz Vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, who wins the rematch?

FR - Juan was winning the last fight until he got knocked out. Amir Khan wants the winner of that fight, if not we will go with Timothy Bradley, or whoever Golden Boy wants to negotiate with.

8CN - Khan dominated Malignaggi.

FR - Khan is a lot better than people give him credit for. Amir is a better pro than all these guys like Alexander, Bradley etc. He can be one of the next superstars in boxing. Bradley needs to forget 147lb he looks like he is in slow motion. He fought a terrible fight the other night. Manny would hit him a hundred times before he got one in. I want Khan Vs. Bradley.

8CN - Is Floyd Mayweather Jr THAT good, or did Mosley get old?

FR - Let's face it, Mayweather is that good. Regardless that he's scared of Manny, it still doesn't make him bad fighter. He's not the bravest guy in the world, I'll say that.

8CN - So you firmly believe that Mayweather is scared of Manny?

FR - Well when he says that there was no negotiations? That's fucking absurd. I can't call him wrong because I never heard talks either, but come on, there had to be discussions. I guess Mayweather just doesn't remember (laughs)

8CN - Give some closing thoughts for the fans.

FR - Well we can't wake up and go to sleep thinking about Mayweather because he's not worth it. When he loses a few more bets and has a bad month, he will fight us. I believe the money will be the deciding factor. The day will come, I predict it will happen. I want the fight to happen as much as all of you fans do.

Roach speaks on Mayweather Margarito Bradley and more!

Podcast: Boxing News | Fight News

2. makina

makina Yellow Belt

roach is good trainer, but thinks he some sort of boxing god thats knows all

i cant see vanes doing anything with cotto

3. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

he speaks the truth. who the fuck is bradley? what has he done? he cant even hold up pacmans jock strap.

dont get me wrong... he's a warrior with good work ethic, but i dont see anything special about his boxing. he relies too much on his athleticism to get him by.

im not happy to see pacquiao fight margarito also... but it would of been worse if he got in the ring with berto or bradley. they're both not even in the same class.

ignore the cheating that margarito has done. he's argueably the best mexican fighter out there, he's got a big name, and he's fought the best of the best. definately a better choice than berto and bradley.

you cant knock roach... this dude has a third eye when it comes to this sport. for reals... he's like nostradamus of boxing.

4. rsreed13

rsreed13 Yellow Belt

Interesting stuff. I don't see Vanes beating Cotto, but I do think he needs to step up in competition.

I don't think Bradley looked that bad against Abregu, but I agree with Roach that he needs to go back to 140. I think Bradley and Alexander beat Khan though.

5. z_zen

z_zen Green Belt

Pumping up Chavez Jr, against Cotto, talk about not in the same class. But just doing his job I guess.

I agree about Mayweather. Great fighter, no balls.

6. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

'He's not the bravest guy in the world' :icon_lol:

7. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

That's every boxing trainer period.. and most forumites as well.. we all think we know what were talking about.. Roach has more cred. than most though..

That said, I found it funny that he said he didnt want to baby Vanes because he is 28-0, yet Chavez Jr. is 40something and 0 and he is still talking about "a few more fights"..

I completely agree with him on Tomothy Bradley, but I think that he is underestimating Alexander. Devon has demonstrated the most poise in the pocket out of any of the 140-147 lb prospects. IF we were judging all three of them (Khan, Bradley, and Alexander) by their last performances, Bradley and Khan would be referred to as talented but green fighters in comparison to Alexander.

Also, the last comment was kind of stupid...

I agree that Mayweather's claim that no negotiations took place at all was ridiculous, but then he says that he didn't have any facts on the matter... and that was kind of a dumb route to take.. if an inside guy doesn't know the details of the negotiations, then perhaps Floyd isn't as full of it as he seems to be.,..

8. 11b83

11b83 Purple Belt

Roach is smart in getting Margarito. He couldn't handle Shane's speed. With manny's speed Margarito will look like a punching bag. They don't want to take a big risk before Mayweather. A bad lose will give Floyd the upperhand in the contract talks.

9. rsreed13

rsreed13 Yellow Belt

I agree. I think Alexander is the future at 140. I hope he, Bradley, and Khan clear out the division and fight eachother. I think there are some really good fights (and maybe even a good series) if they actually get in the ring with one another.

10. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Sorry but I don't really care for Roach, not as a trainer or boxing analysis.

As coach he is not that good IMO. Yes he has won coach of the year for 4yrs in a row now but what about before that. Before Pacman started his run for greatness, compare his list of champions to Steward,Nacho, Dundee and he doesn't look as good. He style of training is great for fans cause he like his fighters to be Very offensive.

He is very protective if his fighters and doesn't want any of them to risk in there career. Which sucks. It's not his job to worry about who they are fighting, his job is to train them to beat anybody that the promoters puts in front of them.

As a boxing analysis he put down everybody that doesn't train under him. He talking trash about Bradly is dumb, Bradley won nearly every rd in that fight and that a bad thing to him. That really show how bad Bradley is. And then he talk about the commerty in it, shit has he seen the PAC/Clottey fight. Jim was acting like virgin fucking the Prom queen(Bang,Bang,Bang), but that was ok.

11. enswell****

enswell**** Blue Belt

I believe Devon Alexander will be The Man at 140.

12. lukewall

lukewall Green Belt

It's hard for me to say who's going to be the man at 140 between Alexander + Bradley until they fight. I think that's a pick-em fight. But one thing i'm sure of, the man at 140 isn't going to be Khan. And Maidana has shown to be resilient with a lot of pop. He could catch any of those guys on any given night.

13. enswell****

enswell**** Blue Belt

Devon Alexander would give Pac Man a damn good fight, it'd be like hyper-speed, but Arum wants more bankable names that are sure to draw money.

For the masses, Devon is about as well-known as Clottey was; basically unknown.

Margarito's a perfect foil right now.
    Well-known, notorious for the plaster inserts, much taller and heavier than Pacquiao, and Mexican.
    Hero vs Villain, and it'll SELL.

14. Tropics1020

Tropics1020 Brown Belt

i agree he is a bit overated as a trainer, but Martirosyan vs Paul Williams? hard to call him overprotective of his fighters when he talks about sending Vanes on a suicide mission like that. And I have to kind of agree with him about Bradley, Abregu is not a skilled boxer at all, Bradley should have beat him senseless in that match but never really came close to getting a stoppage. I don't think Bradley looked like a bum or anything but he didn't impress me all that much when he fought Abregu. Maybe it was the weight or something.

15. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Yes while not very skilled, he is very tough in the beating he took. It was his first loss so for we know he might not never be knockout or stopped. Him calling out Bradley vs Khan and then Khan going after the winner of JMM vs Diaz is shit. If Bradley such a easy win for them, then fight him. He be ready in Dec. when Khan ready to fight again.
    Him not letting Pac fight Mosely 2 yrs ago was another case and I doubt he let Chavez Jr fight Palvik either later this yr. I don;t know it might just be that I don't like him and thats why I think he overprotective.

16. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

*news flash*You may not have heard of him but John Murray is gonna be the man at 140. Khan has certainly heard of him, he's been avoiding him for years. This kid is as tough as they come, look out for him. I have a hunch about a permanent move to 140 soon.

17. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Rat, Roach hasnt been in the coaching game long enough to even be mentioned with Dundee, Emanual, and Nacho...

compare him to people that have been in the game as long as he has.. like the mayweathers...like Buddy McGirt

In his short time as a head coach, he has produced more quality fighters than anybody going right now.. That says a lot

He is also a product of one of the most knowledgeable boxing trainers of modern times... Eddie Futch

There is a reason so many established fighters choose to go to Freddie when they are trying to reach the next level. He knows his shit..

I can't recall one time that I have heard him give shit advice in the corner...

18. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Fair enough.

19. sambam

sambam Blue Belt

devon alexander hands down. he will be close to the top of the p4p list within 3 years.