1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Roach - "Danny Garcia 4 Pacquiao" - ARUM "Fight Possible!"

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Wanderlei4Life, May 29, 2014.

1. ironfist05 Silver Belt

yeah, no

Garcia is a legit champ and deserves to be recognized as so, other than Mayweather and maybe porter, there isn't another person in the 140-147 range that I would rather see Pac face

2. bobby59 Purple Belt

Good fight. If Pac can fight Khan first before Mayweather can fight Khan(and if he beats Khan) the fans will be screaming for a Pac Mayweather fight....

Oh wait...

3. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Next person that brings up the fantasy that never will be fight should be set on fire in front of their parents.

4. cuban23 Black Belt

I don't rate Garcia at all, I think he's a fluke. He somehow beats fighters that he has no business being in the ring with. He's an overachiever. That makes for a good story and all, but he's going to hurt badly when he steps up to 147.

I think Roach agrees with me. He wants Garcia because he knows they're going to beat him easily and because has an undefeated record people will make a big deal out of the win as if Garcia is some great opponent (which he isn't).

Meanwhile Shawn Porter beat up Alexander and blew out Paulie in 4 rounds. That's the guy Pacquiao should be targeting.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  5. Seano Hands of bone

eh, he's beaten enough competent fighters so that you can't call his success a fluke.

6. DeJulez Banned Banned

If he was Cuban and not Puerto Rican you would claim Mayweather is ducking him.

Cant call someone a fluke whose beaten Erik Morales twice, Amir Khan, Zab Judah, and Lucas Matthysse.
    Id even put Kendall Holt on that list simply because that was Garcias first real test or his first real stepping stone to the elite levels.

Still dont know if hes ready for Pacquiao tho.

7. RichardSwingslo Black Belt

To be fair the morales danny fought was wayyyyyyyy past his best but i do like danny but i think pac beats him

8. Seano Hands of bone

No doubt but Morales was coming off of a win over Cano and a respectable showing against Maidana.

9. cuban23 Black Belt

Morales was way past his prime. Are we forgetting Morales came out of retirement a couple years before that fight?

His best wins are over Khan and Matthysse. Two fighters that I think will beat him in a rematch. Especially Khan at 147.

10. ironfist05 Silver Belt

Garcia has proven that he is best matched up with guys who like to punch and brawl, and that he has some trouble with guy who like to box. Manny can box, but he's not going to take an approach that involves high levels of defense, so yes, Garcia is a large threat to him. Be real here, Garcia has at least a chin and power, something which could cause Manny problems if they stand toe to toe.

11. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

That's silly. The khan fight you can argue was flukey but Garcia soundly out boxed and out fought both Matthysse and Judah over 12 rnds, one bad performance in a fight he was very competitive in and won doesn't change that.

Secondly, He's a solid 5'9" guy with a strong frame and great chin. I think he'll get better as he gets stronger.

All that being said i think Pac beats him soundly unless Danny gets flukey

12. Seano Hands of bone

I don't think you can argue that the Khan fight was a fluke. Thats what Garcia does. He stopped Morales the exact same way.

13. JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

Garcia is limited, but he is extremely tough and sports a half-decent skillset with a pretty good punch. I think Pacquiao is a pretty difficult matchup stylistically for him, though. Pac's speed and boxing ability would likely be too much, but Garcia would be game and dangerous in the exchanges. He'd be willing to stand in and could punish Manny's recklessness at times, but Danny likely isn't a high enough level fighter to beat Manny even if he is a tad past it.

14. Social Distance Warrior Banned Banned

This is a great way of putting it...

Danny Garcia doesn't really excel at anything but he's good enough to hang with the best...

Sure, I can see how one could consider the khan fight a fluke...but he defeated a damn good fighter in mattysshe.

Danny Garcia is legit...

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  15. JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

I don't actually think the Khan fight was a fluke. Garcia was getting hit throughout the fight, but he was also hitting Khan back with real tough shots when he stood in and countered Khan's somewhat reckless flurries even before the KD happened. I'd pick Garcia to beat Khan again. A decent counterpuncher with a granite chin who is willing to stand in and punch with Khan should always be considered a big problem for him. If they rematched, I'd probably pick Garcia again. It's about the styles, though. Garcia will always be there against the Matthysse and Khans of the world (though Khan and Matthysse are different stylistically, Garcia's abilities meshed well with their weaknesses). I'm not so sure how much he can do against top quality boxers.

16. Social Distance Warrior Banned Banned

I worded that poorly....

I meant to say, I can see how one can perceive that fight as a fluke...

17. RichardSwingslo Black Belt

True, their first fight was close-ish but that second fight was kind of a farce, not sure why they made that fight

18. RichardSwingslo Black Belt

Garcia still whoops amir can

19. JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

Yeah, I probably made too much of that. Still, it led to a few more of my thoughts about Garcia. To be honest, before the Herrera fight, I still thought his boxing skill was good enough to pick Herrera off here and there and generally get the better of things, and then when Herrera goes into that usual pseudo brawling mode, I thought Garcia would start to catch him with good shots and carry the rounds. It didn't happen like that at all, really. It was clear that Danny was a lot more comfortable when Herrera came to him, but the active jab and the general awkwardness made Garcia look extremely ordinary even when Danny was able to sit back and counter. I get that Herrera does that to a lot of fighters, but he probably shouldn't be able to do that to truly elite fighters.

20. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

You dont know what a fluke is do you?

3rd world country problems.