RNC tweak

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Don't know if it's good technique or not but I was trying to do a rnc in no gi on a guy with a smaller neck and I have long skinny arms. Instead of just raising my choking arm on my bicep i grabbed my shoulder with my non choking arm which seemed like it tightened up the choke. I do something similar in gi except I grab gi material on my lat area.

I actually like the grab better because it seemed to tighten things up.

Good tech or not

wut? I dont see how could you grab your own shoulder, but for the looks like, its horrible techinque...

Instead of your hand being behind his head you go deeper and grab your shoulder to tighten things.

if you mean the oppositive shoulder of your non choking arm, I guess that would make the choke tighter..

edit: im kind of slow tonight.

Last edited:
if you mean the oppositive shoulder of your non choking arm, I guess that would make the choke tighter..

edit: im kind of slow tonight.

That's a good way of explaining it.

Last edited:
Does anyone have good tips on tightening the RNC? Any good instructionals I could watch online?

It seems like a lot of people just breeze over the rnc and focus on other chokes in Gi

Does anyone have good tips on tightening the RNC? Any good instructionals I could watch online?

It seems like a lot of people just breeze over the rnc and focus on other chokes in Gi

if you are concerning with the squeeze, there are very few ones that address that issue...

I find 2 things that many people dont address and could give you problmes with guys hard to choke, you know those guys with buried veins, even if you have your RNC locked, if the guy defending has one hand place over your choking arm wrist, that could stop the choke to work, or at least make it much harder, and if you are kind of tired, you will eventually gas before he does...

1. Always clear your wrist, this means that over your choking arm wrist, the only thing there should be is your not choking forearm, its a normal reaction of people defending to instantly try to get a hold of your arm as soon as they feel you are getting it across his face/under the chin, sometimes they will get a hold of your wrist, this will give them too much leverage to pull down (if they got a strong grip) and give them enough space to get the blood flowing, some people is all they need... Ryan hall taks a bit about this in his back attacks video, shows a good technique on how to clear a strong grip.

2.try to get your elbows together, but the force driving your elbows together should come from your back, or should blades...I personally dont breath in, I breath out, stronlgy and continualy, this allows me to keep the pressure and constantly increase it for a much longer period of time, this techinque of breathing I think its not necessary if you get the arm clean under the chin, in this case, taking a good breathe in should do the job, but when someone is defending, and its not clear under the chin, I still manage to put enough pressure to get the choke...

ps: heres the highlight, look at the details, marcelo is most of the times pushing his opponents have to have a clean lock over his wrist..

Last edited:
Back