RIZIN's really diluting their product with all these kickboxing matches

eseseses681

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'd much rather see RIZIN take one of the Grachan champions and give him one of last year's Shooto rookie kings, see who comes out on top. Why isn't Matsumoto getting a quick turnaround against an overmatched Korean on this card? Or that one ZST champion that just (Kashiwazaki?) lost be given to Otsuka or Ishiwatari. There's not gonna be another Tokoro unless a Japanese organization goes all-in with ZST like HERO's did. Tokoro's too old to be Tokoro, they need a new Tokoro to take 'em to that next level. Kyoji's only a part of the puzzle.
I acknowledge the irony in saying something positive about HERO's while denigrating kickboxing, by the way. But still, instead of all those great ideas, it's J-pop kickboxing with guys with one-word names for a third of the card...

Also, Hioki's fighting, awesome. He might wanna re-evaluate things if he loses, though.

How is Hioki fighting "awesome" in 2018

Whats wrong with you

Their events have a small core of fighters. Of course they're going to add some kick boxing to add to the card if they can.

This isn't PRIDE, that's for damn sure. It isn't even DREAM.

Shoot Boxing has come up big for them so not really? They have all pretty much been high action with big finishes on the entertainment scale as well

I agree to an extent, but imo not having a universal set of rules for all of their mma fights is what is really diluting their product. Is this fight a two rounder with a ten min first, or is it three rounds? Are elbows allowed in this fight? Oh, this is “Rizin women’s mma rules?” What differentiates those from the men’s rules?

That’s diluting the product.

Japan sais otherwise

That remains to be seen. There are a lot of negative comments from fans on twitter and in the comments sections of Yahoo news & efight.jp articles with complaints about the higher volume of kickboxing fights.
Tenshin fights are an outlier as people tune in because of him, not because of the kickboxing specifically.
While marquee KB fights will always draw ratings, RIZIN have to analyse whether it is in their interest to prioritise mid level kickboxing over mid level mma.

Every Rizin fight should allow elbows, knees and soccer kicks...that’s what is attractive to a lot of us.

The only fights that should or could skip that are gp fights because of injuries. Imo

I’m not opposed to striking fights but not of the ratio of last night 7/5. But I’m ok with 2 per show. Probably use Rena and tenshin for that only

That remains to be seen. There are a lot of negative comments from fans on twitter and in the comments sections of Yahoo news & efight.jp articles with complaints about the higher volume of kickboxing fights.
Tenshin fights are an outlier as people tune in because of him, not because of the kickboxing specifically.
While marquee KB fights will always draw ratings, RIZIN have to analyse whether it is in their interest to prioritise mid level kickboxing over mid level mma.
Yea but kickboxing is huge in Japan the history is there to show this. It is still very popular in Japan regardless..

i'm honestly not sure they even have enough product to dilute.

kickboxing, mma, special... elbows, no elbows, soccer kicks, no 4 point attack... 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 3 minutes? 10-5, 5-5-5-, 5-5? 3x3? hyped personality vs can, tenshin vs people making kickboxing debuts, gabi missing weight by 70 pounds while facing a grandma... and for fuck's sake, they actually thought magana was worth paying for.

at least there wasn't any forced crying/shaming/begging in the ring at rizin 12. or was there? haha.

i really want to like it because i loved pride and dream - but this is just a disappointing circus of dildos so far.

it's kind of sad because the things i enjoy the most about rizin so far are cup of noodles man and the tofu mascot. fuck, i wish cup of noodles man would fight.

kickboxing, mma, special... elbows, no elbows, soccer kicks, no 4 point attack... 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 3 minutes? 10-5, 5-5-5-, 5-5? 3x3? hyped personality vs can, tenshin vs people making kickboxing debuts, gabi missing weight by 70 pounds while facing a grandma... and for fuck's sake, they actually thought magana was worth paying for.

at least there wasn't any forced crying/shaming/begging in the ring at rizin 12. or was there? haha.

i really want to like it because i loved pride and dream - but this is just a disappointing circus of dildos so far.

it's kind of sad because the things i enjoy the most about rizin so far are cup of noodles man and the tofu mascot. fuck, i wish cup of noodles man would fight.
you're 50 years old

If your takeaways from Rizin are a cancelled Gabi Garcia fight from last year and a Cup Noodles mascot, then that's on you.

Last edited:
I agree to an extent, but imo not having a universal set of rules for all of their mma fights is what is really diluting their product. Is this fight a two rounder with a ten min first, or is it three rounds? Are elbows allowed in this fight?
kickboxing, mma, special... elbows, no elbows, soccer kicks, no 4 point attack... 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 3 minutes? 10-5, 5-5-5-, 5-5? 3x3?
To be fair every MMA bout yesterday was 5min x 3R with Elbows allowed. Seemed simple.

To be fair every MMA bout yesterday was 5min x 3R with Elbows allowed. Seemed simple.
So one event with a stable rules set. Hardly makes it set in stone

So one event with a stable rules set. Hardly makes it set in stone
It isn't set in stone, but last 3 Rizin cards I believe there was only two MMA fights that weren't 5min x 3R, so I've been feeling it become a bit more normalized in 2018.

Consistency is good, but TBH I don't really mind when it does change. That's never been a issue with me watching.

Last edited:
If your takeaways from Rizin are a cancelled Gabi Garcia fight from about a year ago and a Cup Noodles mascot, then that's on you.

rizin 11 had at least 2 women forced into public shaming/apologies.

if you're going to try to cherrypick and reductio ad absurdum, at least get the lone fact right.

if you're going to try to cherrypick and reductio ad absurdum, at least get the lone fact right.
Those mic moments from Rizin are filler that comes and goes. When I think of what defined a show like Rizin 11 though, it was stuff like Kanna beating Rena, Kyoji beating Ogikubo, Jiri's KO, Gomi's moment, Diego's hammerfists, my introduction to Kaito, and that great Topnoi vs. Tadaaki kickboxing bout. I'm not denying there's absurd stuff. The Mongolian fight was terrible. But that's not what I harp on as it isn't even a top focus of the show or product.

Last edited:
...now you're pretending i said rizin is defined by ___________.

edit: and if i would pick one 'thing' to define what i think of rizin - it would be mismatches.

You don't know their name, so you probably didn't lookup to see what they said.

Fighters usually apologize when fights don't occur, with if it wasn't their own fault.

They need to throw a truckload of money at Asashoryu and get him to fight.

Back