News RIZIN NYE: around 20 fights, more foreigners, 100% arena capacity, announcements in early Dec

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by TorontoTO, Nov 22, 2021.

1. MMALOPEZ Steel Belt

2. lukeuidswords Black Belt

GGG vs Murata is the most expensive Japanese fight in boxing history, over $135m behind it, there will be enormous political and economic pressure to get him into the country

If that doesnt happen then we know for sure no overseas fighters are getting in for NYE

3. manboy<3 Pathetic hater,MEGA shill

From Floyd and Fedor to a guy I've never heard of, I don't know if RIZIN will survive to be honest. Sakakibara should have brought in the the overseas guys a month early to prevent this kind of catastrophe. JMMA is nothing without foreigners, at least as far as the male divisions go.

Why don't FUJI TV just run a variety show and scrap RIZIN for this year? Surely this is a guaranteed failure...they should save themselves to fight another day rather than go through with this shameful NYE card. I've seen over 20 NYE shows, this card is the worst by a mile.

4. panem-et-circenses In the garden

Kishida knew the enormous pressure he’d face from the business community, and still put in place restrictions. Most people are saying the GGG fight is canceled, even if they were promoting it as late as yesterday. And if GGG is really in Miami, unsure this all gets resolved in weeks — we’re talking about weeks from the start of fight-week. Was really looking forward to that fight, too. Stil holding out hope.

lukeuidswords likes this.
  5. panem-et-circenses In the garden

yeah, Rizin has been a mess. Anyone who has stayed up, paid for one of their shows, understands what I’m saying. I’ll be honest — Rizin 29 killed a lot of my interest. As we creep toward NYE I’m obviously returning, having never missed an end of year show in such a long time, but what I’m seeing… c’mon. I don’t want to see GP’s anymore. Maybe I’m in the minority here.

does anyone have the numbers for their last shows? I’d be interested in seeing if they’ve been good. I want Rizin to succeed, but at this point it’s like ZST with a real production crew.

Ultimate Cuck and manboy<3 like this.
  6. leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

Stupid gimmick account gonna stupid gimmick account

RedDawn likes this.
  7. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

manboy is an old school troll. He says stupid shit that he knows is stupid just to get a rise out of people. But the way in which he does it communicates that he actually knows what he's talking about.

The modern usage of the world troll has been completely bastardized.

RedDawn likes this.
  8. lukeuidswords Black Belt

The fact that central Japanese govt made and announced the decision without even informing the specific immigration ministers and department heads ahead of time is so typical of the ramshackle operation they run.

Their websites werent even updated by the time it became public, fingers crossed the backlash will force them to offer exemptions for workers (including athletes) with already accepted visas. It's an utterly insane ruling.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    panem-et-circenses likes this.
  9. lukeuidswords Black Belt

You are in the minority. Domestic interest in the promotion is at an all time high, they made over $3m just in PPV for the Mikuru vs Hagiwara fight, 80,000 sales, crashed U-NEXT's streaming platform. They basically sell all the tickets they put on for every event and the cheapest tier is over $100 per ticket.

International fans are no longer being serviced like they were, and the promotion is absolutely understaffed, but with the way the Japanese government has gone about things, I find it difficult to imagine PRIDE coping any better. Look at K-1 Japan for the past year, its the exact same scenario playing out. Except K-1 Japan isn't creating stars at breakneck speed like RIZIN is.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  10. panem-et-circenses In the garden

It’s going to be interesting. Unsure if he’ll waver though; it would look REALLY bad, although as a politician you can always find a way.

11. panem-et-circenses In the garden

I might be in the minority. All I can do is speak to my own tastes. GP’s are so 90’s/early 2000’s. I just don’t care about them anymore. It’s a way to make lesser-fights more appealing, the result of which leads to not a lot. I would bet not a lot of fans remember the tournament results of the 2000’s/2010’s, either (outside of kick).

12. TorontoTO Brown Belt

13. Danespina Gold Belt

Hmmm. Well in the build up to the Horiguchi rematch, Ougikubo kept talking about how depressed he was, and on how winning would maybe help him emerge from his dark place. That bout meant EVERYTHING to him. To the point that he felt he'd be meaningless to himself and to his family if he lost. This is a man who needs any support he can get.

14. leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

The guy’s wife left him after TUF, and the tweeter is crying about Tenshin vs Takeru

moon to me likes this.
  15. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

It was bullshit he never got signed, he was in the final and the only reason he wasn't on the finale was that that was the only season the winner fought someone else on the finale. Also they gave fights to a bunch of people that didn't get as far as him on the show.

Dude beat Pantoja ffs.

16. panem-et-circenses In the garden

Idk who that tweeter is, but he has a point about Maeda and the desperation cage in DREAM, which was universally derided.

doesn’t sound like takeru will be fighting.

17. Yosuke Blue Belt

For Japan and its MMA scene the travel ban for foreigners was not a bad thing. Sure the cards would have been slightly more spectacular, but overall it gave Japanese fighters a platform to grow and make a name for themselves. JMMA scene is strong and I expect more in 2022. I doubt we would have seen Landmark and Trigger events if things would have stayed "normal".

18. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

The only thing I worry about a bit is that if the fighters want to go international they're maybe not getting exposed to enough different styles of fighting. It's all well and good until you run into some random Dagestani.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  19. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

More to this story? Damn. He seemed like such a good guy on TUF, even while Dana kept calling him Sakuraba.

20. lukeuidswords Black Belt