News Rizin confirmed collusion but dismissed alleged fight-fixing by Kubo and Shibata [Updated 11 Jan]

• Thread starter Deleted member 363827
  • Start date
Rizin looks bad. the problem is most mma fans don’t care about the organization so everything moves on.

Shibata and Kubo are both pretty popular, so it seems like Japanese fans will let this slip by.

Kinda a sign of thing to come. By not dishing out punishment, Rizin is giving a signal that "It is actually ok to do this to bring in fans, just don't do it as stupid as these two"

After the end of my summary of the fight-fixing issue, Sakakibara actually went further talking about how Rizin could not compete with UFC by doing what they are doing, so Rizin needs its fighters to create a 'storyline'. The only thing that needs to be real in Rizin is 'the actual fight'. Sakakibara basically says you guys can go full WWE, just don't bring it to 'the actual fight;.

I don't think Sakakibara really has problem with fighters having some sources of 'arrangement' like this one, but because these two are dumb enough to go public with it, so he needs to bring in new clauses in the contract.

After the end of my summary of the fight-fixing issue, Sakakibara actually went further talking about how Rizin could not compete with UFC by doing what they are doing, so Rizin needs its fighters to create a 'storyline'. The only thing that needs to be real in Rizin is 'the actual fight'. Sakakibara basically says you guys can go full WWE, just don't bring it to 'the actual fight;.
I mean to be fair welcome to combat sports promotion

Off topic, but remember in 2015 in the UFC, when Tae Hyun Bang agreed to lose his fight, but then F'd up and accidentally won by split decision lol.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Off topic, but remember in 2015 in the UFC, when Tae Hyun Bang agreed to lose his fight, but then F'd up and accidentally won by split decision lol.

giphy.gif
He didn't screw up. He changed his mind, and that was a war.

Heck, half the Pride fights were rigged, especially when it was a foreign fighter vs a Japanese fighter. This is why they loved Bob Sapp, as he would take a flop for them. Funny how after Pride dissolved all these Japanese fighters that were beating the equivalent to UFC champs started getting wrecked. I loved Pride, grew up staying up to the wee hours of the AM watching their pay per views, but nostalgia is a funny thing, it makes hypocrites of us all. Finding out Japanese fighters are fixing fights still is as Japanese as Miso soup.

Dumb post is dumb.

Name all of these fixed fights. Aside from Coleman Takada.

We should make a definitive list. I can think of a few but PRIDE 1 was so boring at times it had to have been filled with fake fights. Rewatch 1-5 and look.

Dumb post is dumb.

If people say things enough, it becomes part of an accepted "truth".

Were there fixed JMMA fights? 100%.
Were half of them fixed? 100% not.
Was one of those fixed fights a high profile fight? I think this is where people start developing the notion of "must have been loads".

Damn never heard of this. Did he end up getting in trouble with some serious people? Seems like some people you don't want problems with would have lost a lot of money on that fight.
Yeah, he got involved with some illegal bookmakers, then ran to the police because they got screwed when he went back on them, and won the fight.

Dumb post is dumb.

Stupid response is stupid.

I already sourced the article where Goodridge claimed “90%” of the early Pride fights were rigged. Here is the quote:
"At the beginning, when Pride first started, it was more like 90 percent of the fights were fixed and 10 percent were real," Goodridge said in an interview with The MMA Digest‘. Are you calling Gary a liar?

And lol at asking for verification that a rigged fight is rigged. <Lmaoo> Rigging fights is illegal, the only people that know about it are the participants engaging in said illegal act, so asking for proof is like asking for bank robbers to turn themselves in out of the goodness of their heart. It’s really not rocket science: when Pride was at the helm, Japanese fighters dominated, little chain smoking pro wrestlers like Sakuraba ended up beating roided monsters like Belfort, and when Pride went away Japanese fighters ceased to really have any impact on the global stage. In my neck of the woods, “we call that a clue”.

I already sourced the article where Goodridge claimed “90%” of the early Pride fights were rigged. Here is the quote:
"At the beginning, when Pride first started, it was more like 90 percent of the fights were fixed and 10 percent were real," Goodridge said in an interview with The MMA Digest‘. Are you calling Gary a liar?

And lol at asking for verification that a rigged fight is rigged. <Lmaoo> Rigging fights is illegal, the only people that know about it are the participants engaging in said illegal act, so asking for proof is like asking for bank robbers to turn themselves in out of the goodness of their heart. It’s really not rocket science: when Pride was at the helm, Japanese fighters dominated, little chain smoking pro wrestlers like Sakuraba ended up beating roided monsters like Belfort, and when Pride went away Japanese fighters ceased to really have any impact on the global stage. In my neck of the woods, “we call that a clue”.

Yes, I am calling Gary a liar. Or just an ignorant statement by a confused man. Think that ass whooping Fedor gave him was a work?

Edit: Just re-read and see I missed the "At the beginning" part. Ok THAT I believe. Up til the 2000 GP I would believe it. After that, no way no how. What Pride DID do and why the Japanese fighters did so well is that they would know who they are fighting waaay in advance and the non japanese opponent would find out weeks (or days) before.

Last edited:

Ah yes, a man with serious brain damage. Great source.

Again, go ahead and list these fights. You should have no problem doing so, given "half" the fights were fixed or whatever dumb claim you made.

PRIDE routinely put overmatched Japanese guys vs foreign monsters (and they got smashed, predictably), I have a sneaking suspicion you didn't actually watch as many PRIDE fights as you claim.

Kinda weird that no Western MMA sites cover this. This is the biggest news in Japan sports news site right now with the most heated discussion between fans that want Rizin to become a legitimate sport organisation with higher level athletes and fans that want more pro wrestling elements in Rizin and doesn't really care if Rizin brings back early Pride scripted elements or not.

This was top thread on Yahoo.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/1e94f4297d4b7e9c98b9f26998c500a5191054ad

Back