News Rizin confirmed collusion but dismissed alleged fight-fixing by Kubo and Shibata [Updated 11 Jan]

• Thread starter Deleted member 363827
  • Start date
Look into it. The result wasn’t fixed. They had colluded to make the fight last a while, entertain the fans, and get more eyes on their sponsors. Basically, not really do anything until the 2nd round. Kubo’s corner throwing in the towel threw it all off, as they didn’t know.

The fixed fights in Pride ended when Sakakibara took over

Yeah, isn't that...worse? It is like how EliteXC died with alleged stand and bang only for Kimbo. Aoki posted that it is not a fixed fight but an "arrangement" to defend it, but come on man lol

I am sure this is more tolerable to old school fans who have less problem of pro wrestling elements but this is bad.

Yeah, isn't that...worse? It is like how EliteXC died with alleged stand and bang only for Kimbo. Aoki posted that it is not a fixed fight but an "arrangement" to defend it, but come on man lol

I am sure this is more tolerable to old school fans who have less problem of pro wrestling elements but this is bad.

I don’t think there’s much tolerance for this stuff these days. If it’s true that Shibatar made some sort of arrangement, he needs to be cut as soon as possible. Kubo too.

Fixed fights with predetermined outcomes are way worse.

Yeah, the main issue here is that Rizin decided to invest in Shibata, which is a professional wrestler turned heel YouTuber. For those who don't know, Shibata is notorious in YouTube world for challenging pro MMA fighters to a fight. And before fight he would go beg the MMA fighters to fix the match for him to win. Most don't really agree but some did it and filmed him begging for YouTube content.

I have always thought the whole thing including begging part is scripted but if this allegation is true then this is bad, because Rizin now has a guy that outright tried to fix fights with his opponents in exchange for going the opponent's the chance to fight him for clout.

And he is going to keep doing it, because this is his pro wrestling character. It is how he makes a living lol

How does this Shibatar guy have that much pull to where he can make Kubo throw the fight in his favor? That's if this is true.
Kubo is one of the dumbest people on earth, but that wasnt the arrangement here. Neither guy had agreed to lose, only to take it slow in round 1. Kubo has ended both their fight careers by going public with this. Would not be shocked if RIZIN pursued legal action against them both for defamation and breach of contract.

Don't believe it was fixed.

You can before the fight tell your opponent, "Hey man, let's stand and bang, and put a show on for the crowd. No takedowns okay?" Is that fight fixing? It's definitely not fight fixing if you then start the fight by shooting for a takedown.

At worst, it looks like that's what Shibatar did. He asked his opponent to take it easy in round 1. He then proceeded to flying armbar him. Kubo was clearly not happy with the stoppage.

Not a fixed fight. Just deception.

Don't believe it was fixed.

You can before the fight tell your opponent, "Hey man, let's stand and bang, and put a show on for the crowd. No takedowns okay?" Is that fight fixing? It's definitely not fight fixing if you then start the fight by shooting for a takedown.

At worst, it looks like that's what Shibatar did. He asked his opponent to take it easy in round 1. He then proceeded to flying armbar him. Kubo was clearly not happy with the stoppage.

Not a fixed fight. Just deception.

We need to see the texts. I guess they’re floating around, yet they haven’t been posted here.

it’s one thing to say, ‘let’s stand and bang’. Fighters do that all the time. Or they say as much. Going to a fighter in private and holding up a bout agreement in exchange for an easier fight would get you a nice suspension in the states. What is being described is more than deception, it’s working a fight, which would make Rizin look horrible.

Kubo is one of the dumbest people on earth, but that wasnt the arrangement here. Neither guy had agreed to lose, only to take it slow in round 1. Kubo has ended both their fight careers by going public with this. Would not be shocked if RIZIN pursued legal action against them both for defamation and breach of contract.
I don't quite get why this is such a big issue. I could understand agreeing to throw a fight but to simply take it slow in round 1? I guess it's because they spoke to each other about it beforehand? cause in Thailand the fighters always take it slow in early rounds to allow for betting, but I'm guessing it's a problem here cause they discussed it in private before the fight unlike in Thailand where there is no verbal agreement between fighters. They just both know to go slow, cause it's in the culture over there due to betting.

Kubo should have watched Don Frye vs Gary Goodrich

Last edited:
Dude, WTF?

What year is this?

Fight fixing in a major league?

Japanese MMA still has the same influences, I guess?

Really, really sad.

to be fair it was a celebrity filler type fight. I thought it was odd at the time, but there are plenty of odd things in Japanese mma shows and it wasn’t one of the big fights on the card.

I don't quite get why this is such a big issue. I could understand agreeing to throw a fight but to simply take it slow in round 1? I guess it's because they spoke to each other about it beforehand? cause in Thailand the fighters always take it slow in early rounds to allow for betting, but I'm guessing it's a problem here cause they discussed it in private before the fight unlike in Thailand where there is no verbal agreement between fighters. They just both know to go slow, cause it's in the culture over there due to betting.
Yeah but the guy who asked him to take it slow then arm barred him!

Heck, half the Pride fights were rigged, especially when it was a foreign fighter vs a Japanese fighter. This is why they loved Bob Sapp, as he would take a flop for them. Funny how after Pride dissolved all these Japanese fighters that were beating the equivalent to UFC champs started getting wrecked. I loved Pride, grew up staying up to the wee hours of the AM watching their pay per views, but nostalgia is a funny thing, it makes hypocrites of us all. Finding out Japanese fighters are fixing fights still is as Japanese as Miso soup.

Heck, half the Pride fights were rigged, especially when it was a foreign fighter vs a Japanese fighter. This is why they loved Bob Sapp, as he would take a flop for them. Funny how after Pride dissolved all these Japanese fighters that were beating the equivalent to UFC champs started getting wrecked. I loved Pride, grew up staying up to the wee hours of the AM watching their pay per views, but nostalgia is a funny thing, it makes hypocrites of us all. Finding out Japanese fighters are fixing fights still is as Japanese as Miso soup.
not sure if trolling. bob sapp won the vast majority of his fights in japan.

Back