1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

News Rizin confirmed collusion but dismissed alleged fight-fixing by Kubo and Shibata [Updated 11 Jan]

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by ichibang, Jan 6, 2022.

1. ichibang Black Belt

News Articles about this issue:
    https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/24ac809ec236c5634499f9738c697fe2a25fc093

https://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20220106_1718774.html?DETAIL

Basically allegedly leaked DMs and phone call suggest that Shibata forced Kubo to fix the fight or he would pull out.

Update: 8 January 2022

On his YouTube page, Kubo confessed about the match-fixing arrangement that Shitaba asked him to not hit him in the face in the first round and to only fight seriously in the second round.

Kubo basically said that he did not understand that Shibata was about to ridicule him by tricking him to fix the fight because he got Asperger, so he fell for it and agreed to fix the fight, not knowing that Shibata had tricked him. So when Shibata suddenly fought seriously and kicked his ass, Kubo then lost his fight. He was upset and did not know what to do after getting fooled, so he asked his wife's brother for advice, then he started to panic, because he just realized WTF he just did. He talked about it with his friend, who said that Mr XXX (name censored in the video) would support him if he tell the truth, so he decided to leak the voice record and DMs.

And yes, this video is basically him admitting that he fucked up again by leaking the DMs.

He said he is willing to accept any punishment from Rizin.

For people who want to use Google Translate to read article about this confession video.

https://efight.jp/news-20220108_833003

Update 11 January 2022

Sakakibara announcement on the fight-fixing

1. Every fight in Rizin history is real. There has never been fight fixing in Rizin.
    2. The result of Kubo VS Shibata's investigation. Shibata had always said before the fight not just this one or fight in Rizin that "he is not feeling well" "he does not want to fight" "he does not want to get hurt". This is normal because Shibata is a pro wrester and YouTuber. He also said this to Kubo via phone etc. Kubo's team told this information to Rizin, and Kubo told Rizin that he will fight 100%. But Kubo himself has Asperger's so he did not understand that Shibata was lying to him (as he always does before the fight to other fighters as well). So Kubo agreed to Shibata's plan to not go hard on him in round 1.
    3. Sakakibara said he himself does not like when fighters play dirty or using psychological warfare like this to their opponent. So far Rizin has never had a rule in the contract that fighters could not talk about the fight or their game plan directly with their opponent or their camp. So Rizin will include this in their future contract (but fighters can still do publicly via social media).
    4. Kubo violated the law by leaking the recorded call with Shibata. From now on Rizin will also ban this type of these actions in the contract.
    5. There will be no punishment for either fighter. They will take this as a lesson, going forward.

Yep it is over. Sakakibara basically said no fight fixing, please ignore this and let's go forward to the future together.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  2. moon to me Green Belt

I hope Rizin makes Shibatar apologize on his knees like they did Gabi when she kept missing weight.

3. JustOnce Itami Yellow Card

Damn JMMA is on the ropes as is, if this is proven to be true, it's really going to hurt them even more.

I didn't think it was a fix but I really thought corner shouldn't have thrown the towel, I don't think we ever saw a towel thrown in MMA with an tight armbar like that.

I don't know if that's true or not yet, but if it is, then Kubo did a great job at acting after the stoppage.

4. JustOnce Itami Yellow Card

Weight missing and fixing a match is as different as a murder and a shoplifting.

Fixing a match is probably the worst you can do in combat sports.

5. moon to me Green Belt

Yeah, no shit.

Syrus Bunns III likes this.
  6. manboy<3 Pathetic hater,MEGA shill

a lot of RIZIN and JMMA fights feel like they are fixed, Shibatar probably should have gone straight to RIZIN management and asked for a fixed fight.

Flying arm bar +towel is not a fix? watch it 0.25 speed, it is 100% fixed
    at 2.55 Kubo has a chance to head kick shibatar..but pauses and gently kicks his lower leg
    they are constantly making eye contact
    Kubo does not follow jab at 3.33...
    but mysteriously Kubo low kicks into jab while out of position at 3.40 ?..he oversell's shibatar's counter..
    Kubo without a tight thai plum is smiling just before the arm bar
    all of kubo's high kicks are aimed at shibatar's arms..

a bad fix...

7. Siver! Purple Belt

Dude, WTF?

What year is this?

Fight fixing in a major league?

Japanese MMA still has the same influences, I guess?

Really, really sad.

8. Xuh Silver Belt

if the war between these two professionals is found out to have been a work it will shake the sport to its very foundations

9. MMALOPEZ Steel Belt

Horrible if true

10. Sixstring Guitar Slayer Platinum Member

Wow. Fascinating to watch with a fixed fight perspective. I watched that live. I just would never have considered a fix because they wouldn't do that these days.

<{1-17}>

Syrus Bunns III likes this.
  11. tehMoose The slayer of ufc shills

If the guy that fixed this didn't win by flying gogoplata, I'm very disappointed in him

SoSo likes this.
  12. Thesnake101 Think about it, it worth it.

K-1 guy is absolutely brain dead if true. Fixing a fight is a quick way to get blacklisted from any big events.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  13. ThunderL1ps Red Belt

They both look like they're missing chromosomes.

Sivo The Ram likes this.
  14. manboy<3 Pathetic hater,MEGA shill

lol akeome rizin

15. manboy<3 Pathetic hater,MEGA shill

How many of Shibatar's fights are fixed ? Obviously many of his fights are odd and it always feels like his opponents are in on it..

16. panem-et-circenses In the garden

Huge if true. I didn’t get the sense it was fixed while watching live.

here’s the fight. Shibatar is throwing hard punches, knocks Kubo down around 3:40. If it was a work, Shibatar didn’t seem to be honoring any agreement.

Kungpowking likes this.
  17. CatchtheseHands The Fade Giver

How does this Shibatar guy have that much pull to where he can make Kubo throw the fight in his favor? That's if this is true.

18. Edwinho Orange Belt Platinum Member

I wouldn't defend fixed fights, but Nobuhiko Takada is part of RIZIN's management. He had fixed fights in PRIDE. Not saying that justifies fixing fights in RIZIN, but he has experience in that. If they wanted to fix the fight, they should have just requested a pro-wrestling match formatted with MMA rules. That way they could have avoided this from occurring.

19. leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

Look into it. The result wasn’t fixed. They had colluded to make the fight last a while, entertain the fans, and get more eyes on their sponsors. Basically, not really do anything until the 2nd round. Kubo’s corner throwing in the towel threw it all off, as they didn’t know.
    The fixed fights in Pride ended when Sakakibara took over

Cool Cat and CatchtheseHands like this.
  20. ichibang Black Belt

The background is that Kubo was strong handed by Rizin to fight Shibata who significantly outweighed him in a short notice because Shibata is a very popular pro wrestling YouTube heel and big draw in Rizin. But after Kubo accepted Shibata threatened to pull out unless Kubo agreed to a fixed fight.

xMTDx, Carrotman23, Cool Cat and 2 others like this.